There is WAY to much info here!
Mar 28, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #16 of 33
Thanx everyone. I've pretty much decided on the gilmore light because it's price is fair and I've heard great things. I'm going to use this setup in my room so size isn't an issue. What cd player would you recommend?

And I keep seeing people telling me to leave because it's a money pit *I know it's just joking around* but I love music more than anything and I completely think its worth it.

Anyway, thanx again everyone,
-Chris-
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP.....I dont know if youre looking for a portable setup or a home setup....but assuming a home setup under $400, id start with:

Grado SR80 $95usd (purchased from TTVJ first time buyer, save $10)

Little Dot MK2 or MK3

Chaintech av710 soundcard, or TABAAM

Have someone make you cables cheaply , like someone on this forum. Warrior05 from S2 audio was really nice to deal with from my recent experiance . Maybe some starquad cables or something.

Run this out of your PC system and enjoy the music cheaply and learn more before purchasing anything further (because you will).

Do you have any links to the amp and cables?

-Chris-
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 33
This hobby is an addiction- but we all love it!

I say good luck to you and you new system.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVALover5498 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanx everyone. I've pretty much decided on the gilmore light because it's price is fair and I've heard great things. I'm going to use this setup in my room so size isn't an issue. What cd player would you recommend?

And I keep seeing people telling me to leave because it's a money pit *I know it's just joking around* but I love music more than anything and I completely think its worth it.

Anyway, thanx again everyone,
-Chris-
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally wouldn't bother with a cd player. Just use an amp with a mini-to-mini cable to your computer for now, and in the future get a DAC (computer -> DAC using a USB cable -> amp using mini-to-mini cable -> headphones). If you have any CDs, rip them onto your computer using the program from here - Introduction » Exact Audio Copy into lossless formats like FLAC and use foobar2000 to play them.

As for headphones, I have the K701s and love them, but don't have experience with the K601s or very many other headphones at all, so other people may at recommending those for you. I'm new too here, and have spent MUCH more than I originally was going to
tongue.gif

Whatever you get you won't regret it though...have fun.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

If I were you I'd get this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...cd5001-311105/

A sweet deal and I've read good things about the machine.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #22 of 33
Then just leave!
Cause nobody is forcing you to stay around if you don't like it here.

...or you could just filter out the information you want.

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were you I'd get this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...cd5001-311105/

A sweet deal and I've read good things about the machine.

I can confirm that this is a fine CDP. I bought it a couple of months ago to pimp my rig. At that moment: SlimX --> Xin amp --> HPs

As we speak I have dismantled the Marantz to a simple transport (see my sig).

The moral of this story: please keep in mind the further upgrades you have in mind. Your CDP could be a simple $50 multi-player (the CD5001 doesn't play SACD
eek.gif
) .

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #24 of 33
Thanx everyone, I'm just going to continue to read as much as possible.
There are soooo many different choices out there. I just want to be able to listen to my music you know.

Thanx everyone also for the great info also, it helps alot.

-Chris-

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #25 of 33
WARNING: Stay out of the gear-fi area as it may cause compulsive addiction to other hobbies you do not have yet.

EXAMPLE: I now want my first DSLR camera.

O yea and welcome to head-fi. Theres no turning back now. The people here are great and they will answer anything you have questions about bc its all about the music here.

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pointed out some K601 amp condiderations in:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bud...5/#post3897665

HeadAmp specs their Gilmore Lite output swing at 15 Vpp => 5.3 Vrms

looking at the circuit I think this could really be the clipping limit - the Lite circuit is very wasteful of supply V

the K601 specs 101 dB/V

5.3 Vrms gives ~ +14 dB power re 1 Vrms

this gives ~ 115 dB SPL at HeadAmp's output V swing spec

Probably good enough for most listening, but “rocking out” at live event levels could still clip

see the original article for Gilmore's own suggestion to raise the supply V - the Gilmore Class A was intended as a 32 Ohm headphone amp – perhaps Justin could mod one for higher V

try forum Search function >Advanced Search, key words: K601, check "in titles only" and select amp forum

also minutes old:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Search>Search Forums>Advanced
"K601"
check "in titles only"
select Search in forums: Headphone Amplifer

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #27 of 33
The Gilmore Lite would be an excellent 'starter' amp. I haven't used it with AKG headphones, so I can't really comment on how well it drives them, but...

I have used one with both Grado and Sennheiser headphones and it dives those well. It is a very solid, well made, quality amplifier at a fair price, IMO.

One more thing:

When you post/read here you will ALWAYS get conflicting opinions. Tubes, solid state, Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, etc... But you will start to see some trends. I think most (not all) would describe Grado headphones as being bright, in your face, lively headphones, with a narrow soundstage, best suited for rock 'n' roll. Just as likely you will find that many people describe Sennheiser as more laid back, wider soundstage, warmer or even veiled (the high frequencies are not as pronounced as with Grados). I've found that Senns can rock also, but I do prefer Grados for artists like Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Rolling Stones.

Point is that many headphones and amps exhibit a signature or 'house' sound that most folks agree on. The hard part is figuring out which is best for you. The best way is to listen before you buy if possible. If not, you can buy from some sellers that accept returns for 30-days. Otherwise you can buy used and resell for little or no loss.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 33
The Gilmore Lite amp is real nice too.
The Little Dot Mk lll is usually sold by its distributer on Ebay.

I also see Meier HeadFive's for sale and the Aria in our own ForSale forums alot.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #29 of 33
Ok, so this is what I've decided on.

I'm just going to throw a little more cash and get the AKG K701's instead of the K601's.

I'm also going to get the Little Dot MKIII because I've been reading great reviews.

I'm not going to use my computer but I'm going to get a portable cd player, probably a sony.

Now, what cables do I need? A little interconnect? Like this little Ibasso cable? Products

Or do I need a different chord? This is the part which I know nothing on, cables. If you have any recommendations please let me know what they are with a link.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm cable dumb haha.

Thanx everyone for dealing with my questions, I'm just trying to learn as much as possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chris-

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Ok, so this is what I've decided on.

I'm just going to throw a little more cash and get the AKG K701's instead of the K601's.

I'm also going to get the Little Dot MKIII because I've been reading great reviews.

I'm not going to use my computer but I'm going to get a portable cd player, probably a sony.

Now, what cables do I need? A little interconnect? Like this little Ibasso cable? Products

Or do I need a different chord? This is the part which I know nothing on, cables. If you have any recommendations please let me know what they are with a link.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm cable dumb haha.

Thanx everyone for dealing with my questions, I'm just trying to learn as much as possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chris-

No, that cable will not work with a LDMKIII.

If you are using a portable player which only has a headphone jack output (or a 'line out' jack), you will need a cable that goes from a 3.5mm male plug to a pair of RCA plugs.

I'm not recommending this one, though it may be perfectly fine, just showing it to you as an example. There are very inexpensive options. You can get a simple cable like this for a few bucks, or buy a handmade cable for much more. You can probably buy a nice cable here, reasonably priced. My personal suggestion is to not go overboard with your cable budget. Get something cheap and serviceable to get started. You can always upgrade later after you've had some time to research.

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: A/V cables: Patch cables: Belkin® PureAV 7-Ft. Y Audio Cable

Here is a link to some VERY inexpensive cable that will work:

Audio Cables - RCA / 3.5mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back