There is nothing like live music
Nov 15, 2009 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Postal_Blue

500+ Head-Fier
I know I am sounding the gong for the 110^10th time, but I just can't help myself. I recently started singing again (Had to give it up for a while to try and feed my family) and tonight we performed Handel's Messiah (Christmas +), and Bach Cantata 140 Sleepers Wake. There really is nothing in the world quite like it. I had almost forgot the magic of hearing an orchestra live. I had almost forgotten my true love in music from the get go was Baroque-Romantic Choral rep. I am angry with myself for abandoning concert going when I had to stop performing myself. Who knows what magical experiences i have missed out on over the past 4 years.

So all this to say: attend concerts/recitals every chance you get. Every performance is unique.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 12
I haven't heard any real acoustic performances yet, but as far as sound quality, I think my headphone rig will be better than a live rock concert 95% of the time. Of course, for the overall experience, the concert will win every single time. But I should really go and see a jazz performance or something.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 12
Yeah, there is nothing like being there under a live performance.
Too bad few or none of my favorite artists have concerts in my area at a daily basis..
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 12
I had to work those afternoons the local philharmonic orchestra performed this past year. Dammitall....
Next time >)

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard any real acoustic performances yet, but as far as sound quality, I think my headphone rig will be better than a live rock concert 95% of the time. Of course, for the overall experience, the concert will win every single time. But I should really go and see a jazz performance or something.

Oh yes. Live Jazz is unbelievable. I live in the Twin Cities (except now I'm in wisconsin for school) and try to get out to the Dakota Jazz Club as much as I can. Even the $5 late night shows are a treat to watch. Before I left for school this summer, I was treated to a show that included an amazing Hammond B3 player. She's from Germany and just so happened to be in the Twin Cities for the weekend so she sat in with some local musicians. I was blown away!

Here's a little of her playing
YouTube - Barbara Dennerlein Trio

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 12
I've been to several concerts in the last year, and even when I had terrible lawn seats for the Cheap Trick/Poison/Def Leppard show this summer it really does have something no headphone, and probably no reproduced music can be.

Having enjoyed the live music so much, and having found work, I picked up season tickets to Ballet San Jose and the Silicon Valley Symphony. The symphony is playing at both of those, and they've been wonderful. The Beethoven and the Mahler were fantastic.

Combining the two was the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Only classical concert I've been to with lasers, pyrotechnics, and for which I'd strongly suggest ear plugs. They're fun.

So, yes, I agree. Live music is great. Go and enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back