There is no cure... right?
Jun 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #16 of 23
I agree with neutral gear... but, ehem i havent heard a single neutral can in all of the cans ive had. My current ad900s are the most neutral so far to my ears but still aint poifect! now the question is... Is the hd800 really neutral? Ive heard that so many times about the hd600 before and although I liked them, I could never agree that they were totally neutral.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #17 of 23
Correct!
When you first registered and logged into Head-Fi you were doomed. There is no way back...

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #18 of 23
Ive been doomed with audio ever since I built my first speaker in 1989
biggrin.gif
Doomed with headphones since my hd580s and sr80s plus headroom amp back in 93, not to mention my koss esp950s... then got totally screwed when discovering headfi in 2004. aaaaaaaakkk

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #19 of 23
I just have to say that I completely agree with Uncle Erik and catscratch. They wrote it much better than I could've hoped to do.

I will add that over the last four years since I discovered Head-Fi I've listened to almost all the highly praised dynamic cans and a few 'stats, and every time I've put down a can I've gained a slightly better idea of where my preferences lie.

For my source I've settled on a Weiss DAC1-MK2, famous among mastering studios for its transparent and non-analytical presentation. Hopefully it will not be too long before I have a transparent amp to match these qualities.

When it comes to cans, I like the L3000 for rock and intimate vocal jazz sessions. For everything else I suspect the HD800 will be the can for me that will kill the upgrade bug for the foreseeable future.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct!
When you first registered and logged into Head-Fi you were doomed. There is no way back...

^^^ You were seduced by the dark side of the force, now come and join us with a pair of Darth Beyers!

darthsmile.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #21 of 23
Thanks for all the good feedback! I agree that neutral systems is the way to go and its one of the reason I work so well with the guys and stuff at Sennheiser.... Well all neutral nothing never becomes... I sure hope my HD 800 will get me closer. My experience with DAC's and amp's aren't that huge in the high-end arena but down the long road I see me buying a tube for pleasure and fun on the side from my UDAC/BUDA combo that is all I hoped it was in neutrality and raw spec's power...

Right now it seems like a system based on the coming JH-13 Pro could be a solution on the long term to a mobile rig togther with some yet to be released FLAC compatable mobile rig... I can't afford to treat my self with that MX5 on the get go when I get my degree and full time job in the industry so maybe such a system would be a good carrot to hand down the next years of nothing but audio related specialization.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so many people look at the continuum of reviews going back for years. I suspect that the audio industry would prefer that you didn't.

Uncle Erik. I think you pretty much summed it all up. When I first layed eyes on the HD800 and PS1000, both out of my price range in a long shot, I drooled, and after a week I settled back down with my 4 year old SR225.

It seems like cars in the 80's and very early 90's as well as shoes that were under $60, they are more practical and affordable compared to current times. If I recall, there weren't 10 models of basically the same thing. Things IMHO were simpler and manufacturers made better things in both practicality and quality, because that seemed to be the business paradigm back then. Now, it's all about marketing with less passion. Regardless of the price, to a large degree, a headphone is still a headphone no matter what whiz bang invention or materials are used. Somehow, the basic identity gets lost in all this stuff.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevesebastianb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a cure, you will need the assistance of a surgeon to amputate from the neck upwards, LOL
wink_face.gif

or something less fatal: take your current amp and turn the volume up to 11 for a minute or 2. that'd do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back