There is a new Smashing Pumpkins album in the works!!!
Feb 4, 2006 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
I cannot express my excitement with understandable words. Just read here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/152...headlines=true\\

Ok. It seems to me that D'arcy may help, but James might be out. James was one hell of a guitarist through the years, but he wasn't a major member of the group. Billy? check. Jimmy? check. D'arcy? maybe. New album? Heck yeah!

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 27
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

My opinion exactly
icon10.gif
Hope the group can get back in the SP groove and not sound like Zwan/Solo BC..

I do apologize for the earlier vulgar thread title. It has been fixed, and won't happen again
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 27
I doubt it will compare to any original sp stuff if it ever materializes. 95% of drummers are a dime a dozen to a band. A bassists' change doesn't hurt to much either...but you mess with the lead guitarist and the signature tone is usually gone. I don't expect much from this.

Maybe thats my lead guitarist ego tallking...but I know that any band with the guitarist change is likely doomed. Only super hardcore fans will follow the band into obscurity.

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 27
Didn't corgan play most of the guitar on the middle/ later albums anyway?

I know he either played bass and/or guitar. That's the reason they said he needed the drummer, he couldnt do drums.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 27
I would say that "Siamese Dream" was one of the top 25 albums of the 90s. Everything that came after that didn't really even come close.

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage
I would say that "Siamese Dream" was one of the top 25 albums of the 90s. Everything that came after that didn't really even come close.

I agree Spaceage, Gish was a nice, tough little indy rock album, but Siamese Dream was epic. I was never too keen on the strange hippy-affections for "Today," but the 2 lp set has got a raft of other great tunes.

Years later, I got the Melon Colly and was miserable. It seemed over-wrought and thrown together -- but with more strings! I'd be astounded by the future appearance of anything close to Siamese Dream in SPs catalogue, but I'm not at all optimistic.

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 27
Am I the only one that thinks Gish was just as good if not better than Siamese Dream? I couldn't understand all the hype around Siamese Dream when it was released because they had already released a great first album.

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 27
I agree Gish is a CLASSIC, but I think Siamese was more complex and mature.
Doesnt Iha play with a Perfect Circle now?

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I agree Gish is a CLASSIC, but I think Siamese was more complex and mature.
Doesnt Iha play with a Perfect Circle now?

He was when I saw their show in 2005.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
95% of drummers are a dime a dozen to a band. A bassists' change doesn't hurt to much either...but you mess with the lead guitarist and the signature tone is usually gone.

As a drummer I respectfully disagree
smily_headphones1.gif
Just try replacing a good drummer / bassist with a drum machine / sequencer and you'll see. It's like saying a pianist is nothing more than fingers pressing notes, which they all can do. Also, Jimmy Chamberlain is hardly your run-of-the-mill drummer.

I really don't think you can deconstruct the synergy of a band that easily. It's more than simply adequate musicians each playing a role.

That said, I've learned to have low expectations of comebacks like this
tongue.gif
Although not as much as 'supergroups'. Take Audioslave for example. When I first heard about that, I was stoked - two of my teenage favourites fused - than I heard the first album, and well, 'so much for that' lol.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 27
Yes, James Iha is with APC now.
It would figure that he wouldn't join the pumpkins again after all Billy Corgan said about him (telling he was the responsable for the band break-up), so ...
About the "he wasn't a key member of the band" deal, if he doesn't join, you'll see how important he was, not only for the songs dynamics, but for the guitar-tone given to the band. The pumpkins were a great band, because they were all important, and really worked as a whole. When Jimmy left, they made Adore. Good, but not great like the previous albums. Then he came back, and D'arcy left. They made Machina I and released on the internet Machina II. Good, but not great.
I have my doubts that the pumpkins will ever be what they were. I'm sorry to say this, but sometimes, things are better off buried. I think Billy is only doing this because both Zwan and his solo album were not as good as the things he as done previously. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic musician ...
At least I hope it's not as bad as Zwan, 'cause that would only ruin the good memories we have from SP.
Let's wait and see.

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 27
I liked everything up through MELLON COLLIE and about half of ADORE. As long as he's not trying to do NIN-lite or a Cure album, then I'll be interested. Since he pretty much did SIAMESE DREAM himself, I really don't think Iha will be all that missed. I can kind of see how Corgan wants to keep the Smashing Pumpkins name alive, but I doubt it will ever be quite the same.. But that's ok. Hopefully he'll make some interesting music.

-jar

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me
Yes, James Iha is with APC now.
It would figure that he wouldn't join the pumpkins again after all Billy Corgan said about him (telling he was the responsable for the band break-up), so ...
About the "he wasn't a key member of the band" deal, if he doesn't join, you'll see how important he was, not only for the songs dynamics, but for the guitar-tone given to the band. The pumpkins were a great band, because they were all important, and really worked as a whole. When Jimmy left, they made Adore. Good, but not great like the previous albums. Then he came back, and D'arcy left. They made Machina I and released on the internet Machina II. Good, but not great.
I have my doubts that the pumpkins will ever be what they were. I'm sorry to say this, but sometimes, things are better off buried. I think Billy is only doing this because both Zwan and his solo album were not as good as the things he as done previously. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic musician ...
At least I hope it's not as bad as Zwan, 'cause that would only ruin the good memories we have from SP.
Let's wait and see.

I couldn't agree more - and thanks for saving me from all the typing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back