Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #9,631 of 12,550
Don't know if I posted this in here before, if so please ignore the video and apologies in advance. It's been almost a month since I posted that video and it's garnered almost 1200 views and has increased my subscriber pool. Tell me what you think guys.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #9,632 of 12,550
  Don't know if I posted this in here before, if so please ignore the video and apologies in advance. It's been almost a month since I posted that video and it's garnered almost 1200 views and has increased my subscriber pool. Tell me what you think guys.

I'm surprised with all those views that only 35 people rated it with a like or dislike. I know I was the very first like when you posted it though.
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #9,633 of 12,550
My first DAP was FAR from audiophile. I bought it in 2004, and since I couldn't afford an ipod, I bought one of the early super-cheap players:

It was called a "Rave MP 128". It had 128 MB built-in and a slot that could take an SD card - but I think even with the SD card the max total size was either 512MB or 765MB. It ran off a AAA battery and had a crappy, tiny little screen. The build quality was absolutely horrible, and it didn't take long for the buttons and the screen to start being flaky. I used it with a pair of Koss "Plugs" that I read about on headwize.

Jeez, that was only 9 years ago - it seems like forever!

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #9,636 of 12,550
These were my first portable media players.

^ That Zen Nano Plus had a great user interface with the digital potentiometer switch thingamabob. The sad thing is that its interface is probably easier to use than most of the so-called audiophile DAPs out there. Unfortunately the thing died and I couldn't get it to turn on. Then I switched to the iPod Shuffle MuVo T100, which in itself was useful since it was a convenient thumb drive; I still use it as a thumb drive for school documents.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #9,637 of 12,550
I used a Creative ZEN Micro for a little while. It was a really nice little unit. Solid as a rock. The biggest issue was all the cr@p Creative SW that came with it. I seem to recall the drivers were kind of buggy with Windows Media Player.

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #9,638 of 12,550
I thought you hated Audeze gear and considered the LCD 2/3 over hyped?

They are, but I heard from a reliable source these have a much more neutral sound sig and thought I'd try them.

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #9,639 of 12,550
What what I could get from google, it has something to do with infinity and a Hindu mantra "Om"

I think I need a robe and a drum...

Mysticism and magik isn't all creepies and Crowley. :rolleyes:

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #9,641 of 12,550
I have somehow acquired 2 iPod touches.

One i found, the other my Girlfriend left over here, and if i offer to go find it from where it is, she generally just says nyeh, dont bother.

i also have an ipod nano! :D this one i did purchase, despite all of that i use my phone, SGS S3... it is the biggest in terms of storage, and physical size.. and i believe it has the best DAC.

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #9,642 of 12,550
Up until the end of last year I used a 60 GB 5G iPod. Amazingly, it still had a usable battery life (probably around four or five hours) after seven years. It still works, though I haven't fired it up since I got my Sansa Clip Zip, which is what I use now. I've Rockboxed it, of course (stock firmware was pretty much crap), and it works great. Up until I got my iPod I used a PCDP, with my collection spread out over more than 20 discs. Looking back that was ridiculous, and I have no idea how I could possibly keep straight what was on all of them.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #9,643 of 12,550
  Up until the end of last year I used a 60 GB 5G iPod. Amazingly, it still had a usable battery life (probably around four or five hours) after seven years. It still works, though I haven't fired it up since I got my Sansa Clip Zip, which is what I use now. I've Rockboxed it, of course (stock firmware was pretty much crap), and it works great. Up until I got my iPod I used a PCDP, with my collection spread out over more than 20 discs. Looking back that was ridiculous, and I have no idea how I could possibly keep straight what was on all of them.

You could Rockbox the 5G iPod too. 
wink.gif
  I have a 5.5G 80GB model that still works fine, but I don't take it out of the house anymore, because the Rockboxed Clip Zip is so darned convenient on-the-go. 

As far as iPod Touches, I had a 32GB 4G that I bought shortly after it was released, and I loved that thing, but after a year or so I traded it away because I was spoiled by newer devices with bigger screens. That said, I missed it enough that I would have been open to getting an iPhone 5 (which does a have a little bigger screen) a couple months back except they were just ridiculously priced.
The 16GB iPhone 5, they wanted $299 up front plus contract, and 16GB would not be enough on a device without a memory card slot....and add $100 to bump up to 32GB? Nope. 

Instead, I got my big beautiful LG Optimus G Pro (5.5" 1080p screen, 32GB internal plus card slot, 2GB RAM, 1.7GHz quad-core) for $99 up front, and that has become "my precious" 
biggrin.gif

I still wouldn't mind getting a new Touch, but I already have more DAPs than I use, and nobody around here wants to buy any of them because everybody uses their phones for Pandora or Slacker. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #9,644 of 12,550
did Rockbox that iPod, for the last almost two years of its tenure. The only reason I retired it is because it's a bit heavy and bulky for a portable music player these days.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #9,645 of 12,550
My current primary mobile device is still an old 30 GB ipod video (that's a 5th gen, correct?). I have used it almost every day since I bought it new in 2007. It ain't broke, so I just keep it going. It's traveled everywhere with me - probably 20+ states and 3 or 4 countries. Say what you want about Apple (and I often do) but when they make a product that works, it really works well! Now if someone could just convince them that they really aren't smarter than all of their customers and they should just stop assuming they know better than I do how I want to use their products, then I could probably be a real Apple fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back