Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015
Sep 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #108 of 151
  Whoever thought that putting a Orpheus in a trailer without any guards protecting it was a genius. 

Or perhaps it never occurred to them that someone would do such a thing. When I went to the headphone meet in Chicago, I BRIEFLY thought maybe I should keep close track of my expensive gear.  Then I thought "Nah, these guys wouldn't steal anything."  And of course nobody did steal anything and everyone was great.  But isn't it kind of disappointing that people (whether a company or an individual) would have to even consider posting guards at such an event?

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #109 of 151

But isn't it kind of disappointing that people (whether a company or an individual) would have to even consider posting guards at such an event?

When you have lots of expensive gear sitting in a trailer it should at least be considered.  Not to do so is pretty foolish IMO.  Disappointing or not, it's the reality of the world.  This is not anything new.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #110 of 151

When you have lots of expensive gear sitting in a trailer it should at least be considered.  Not to do so is pretty foolish IMO.  Disappointing or not, it's the reality of the world.  This is not anything new.

That's a very good point.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #111 of 151

I know, but still.....

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #112 of 151

I know, but still.....

I guess our point is two-fold:

1.  Yes, it's horrible that something like this would happen.  Such behavior undermines the trust which is necessary for the audiophile community to continue to thrive.
2.  HOWEVER, it IS admittedly somewhat naive for a company to bring a trailer to an event, keep a whole bunch of super-duper ridiculously-expensive gear in that trailer (which, btw, everyone at the event knows is there), and then proceed to not hire security for the trailer.  It's not just the "modern world" or anything like this.  THis would be common sense in similar situations at any point in human history.  Thieves have always existed.  You don't leave rare, expensive stuff lying around without tight security.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #113 of 151
  I guess our point is two-fold:

1.  Yes, it's horrible that something like this would happen.  Such behavior undermines the trust which is necessary for the audiophile community to continue to thrive.
2.  HOWEVER, it IS admittedly somewhat naive for a company to bring a trailer to an event, keep a whole bunch of super-duper ridiculously-expensive gear in that trailer (which, btw, everyone at the event knows is there), and then proceed to not hire security for the trailer.  It's not just the "modern world" or anything like this.  THis would be common sense in similar situations at any point in human history.  Thieves have always existed.  You don't leave rare, expensive stuff lying around without tight security.

Agree with both points.  I'm only saying it's disappointing, and it is.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #114 of 151
  Agree with both points.  I'm only saying it's disappointing, and it is.

Ugh, seriously.  Especially considering what the main item stolen was, namely something which is pretty much IRREPLACABLE as only 300 of it were ever made
mad.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #116 of 151
Guys, Sennheiser have just been the victim of a terrible theft. It's a bit tasteless to be bashing their headphones on this thread don't you think? Plenty of other threads out there to discuss such things.

I personally think it would be completely idiotic to be sad for a big company that has the money to make hundreds of those headphones if they wanted to. This is simply good advertisement for them, now more people get to know that the company that made their 20$ headphones in China, also makes some actually good products.

I'm sad for the people who won't get to hear Orpheus because of this.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #117 of 151
  I personally think it would be completely idiotic to be sad for a big company that has the money to make hundreds of those headphones if they wanted to. This is simply good advertisement for them, now more people get to know that the company that made their 20$ headphones in China, also makes some actually good products.

That's an interesting way of spinning it. To me, a robbery is a robbery, no matter from who. 

That attitude is probably how bank robbers think too "they have plenty of money so it's ok". Uh, no. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #119 of 151
  I don't consider robin hood a bad human being 
biggrin.gif

still sad for the people who don't get to hear orpheus.

Robin Hood is a fictional character. Do you really think the Sennheiser thief is donating the stuff he stole to a charity??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back