Thee Almighty Questions [For Sennheiser HD600 owners]
Mar 1, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #16 of 42
Sorry, last OT: Thanks Kurt, I hope I can find an old copy of that review. Wright is at the top of my list, and it will be paired with horns. I have over a year to decide, and will fly up to do some auditions. Fun!

Mar 1, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 42
Since some of this misdirection came from me, let me try to clarify myself...

The MG Head OTL does so have a high noise floor. (I love saying does so, it's so argumentative--I picture congressmen saying "DOES SO!") This doesn't mean that the amp isn't quiet when no music is playing. Both the one I owned and Nick's are, as Nick said, dead quiet. If I'm using the term improperly I appologize but by high noise floor, I meant the noise that is apparent while music is playing. There's a certain amount of noise that is in most recordings. In some amps this noise is reduced, in some more pronounced. In the MG Head OTL it's more pronounced and does detract somewhat from classical.

The other reason I suggested the Corda over the MG Head for classical is speed. I agree that the MG Head, especially with Nick's tube selection, sounds great with a very sweet midrange and knowing Audio & Me's preference for slow melodic music that typically makes him fall asleep, it's perfect - and is, really, ideally suited for the HD600. As a substitute for getting laid, this is a really relaxing combination. The problem is that in really complex movements (think of any of the Star Wars soundtracks, Mozart's operas, etc.) the little amp just can't keep up and the soundstage gets confused. The only word I can describe this as is sluggish.

The reason I thought the Head was better suited to rock is because rolling off the extreme highs is more a blessing than a curse with most rock and because with only four or five musicians, the sluggishness of the amp doesn't matter as much. I also think a little blurring between instruments is more suited to rock as most of them use distortion to achieve a more "full" sound anyway.

I agree that for versatility, both the Corda HA-1 and Melos SHA-1 excel where the MG Head doesn't.

Sorry if I caused confusion or used inappropriate terms. Try to remember that I'm still a newbie.

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #18 of 42
Every amp has a noise floor, which is the point that because of the noise that the amp itself generates, it interfers with any signal that is below this floor. This is detectable when there is no music playing. I'm not really sure what the noise is that Kelly's talking about, but technically speaking it's not the noise floor. Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 42
One of the reasons that I'm not a big fan of Mozart is that most of his works are very complex, I'm a simple person.
biggrin.gif
kelly is right about the MG Head not being able to handle many "voices" at the same time very well, often blending nearby noises to drown out the complexity, the sound does tend to get garbled up in intricate dynamics of some performances where the soundstage is supposed to be fairly large. When I first got my unit, I was imensely surprised by how well it sounded with rock. The electric guitar comes alive with this amp, absolutely stunning, it's like you become the guitar strings thus you feel it...

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
...being able to handle many "voices" at the same time very well, often blending nearby noises to drown out the complexity, the sound does tend to get garbled up in intricate dynamics of some performances where the soundstage is supposed to be fairly large...

Interesting. That would be a good way to describe what I am hearing with the Melos. I just couldn't figure out a way to put it in words.

Mar 1, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

Interesting. That would be a good way to describe what I am hearing with the Melos. I just couldn't figure out a way to put it in words.

Are you saying the Melos is or is not good at seperation?

Kurt,
The noise that was noticible in the Head and lower in the Corda was kind of a soft static and was only apparent in quiet passages. Maybe it's there the rest of the time and I didn't bother to commit it to memory but whatever it is, there's definitely more noise in the MG Head.

Mar 1, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #24 of 42
MG Head noise is probably power related! Mine is totally quiet in some outlets and noisy as hell in others. If you have already done the power switch tweak... try a different outlet.

A/C line noise has a particular sound. It buzzes.

(Gonna post my findings with the Monster Powerbar 2100 on this subject in a few weeks...)

Mar 1, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
MG Head noise is probably power related! Mine is totally quiet in some outlets and noisy as hell in others. If you have already done the power switch tweak... try a different outlet.

A/C line noise has a particular sound. It buzzes.

(Gonna post my findings with the Monster Powerbar 2100 on this subject in a few weeks...)

Nick, what I heard on your amp wasn't a buzz. It was more like soft white noise--static. I heard less of it on the Corda, Max and Melos. It could be tube related. *shrug*

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by jodokast
Which amp to get? Everybody knows these cans are hard to drive. Everybody knows these are one of the best-selling cans of all time. So, which amp to get?

After perusing over a couple threads and asking various members for advice - here is my conclusion. My budget is about a couple hundred bucks.

Corda HA-1: Very musical, and solid. Handles complicated scores very well, great for classical music. Very low noise floor. Also features crossfeed (something I haven't experienced yet, but am interested). Finally also features a low impedance headphone jack. (which I most likely won't use)

XCANs or MG Head - Both are supposed to be great combos with the HD600s. Very tube-like liquid sound. Yet both have to be most likely upgraded with tubes and then PSU adding to the cost. Finally I've heard problems about high noise level on both amps and buying new tubes and power supply sounds like I"m complicating things. Finally I heard they weren't great /w classical music.

Headroom Supreme: Max Out and home are out of my budget. No real word from this except I"ve heard the first 3 amps I've listed are all really great price/performance ratio when being compared up against the Supreme.

So, right now I'm thinking about buying the Corda due to its' cross feed and low noise floor. Tube amps seem to be a lot of hassle in that I have to buy NOS tubes and then an upgraded power supply, which still equals out a higher noise floor and so-so quality for classical music. What do you guys think?

Any MG Head or xCANs owners want to help me out?
wink.gif

Let me know. Thanks.

jodokast
You may want o consider the Heardoom Little More Power over the Supreme for essentially the same money I think you'll be getting better sound.
Regards,

Mar 2, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #28 of 42
Nick, Like I said, this was just normal listening during quiet passages. *shrug* You'd not notice it unless you were ABing a recording, probably.

Mar 2, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #29 of 42
Well, after much consideration . [pause]

I've decided to go for the MG Head DT (most likely). Nick, you sending me a 5751 for impressions?
wink.gif

Right now despite a few comments and pms I got from Corda supporters (scared to speak out in public for fear of a riot, lol), I think I"m definitely going to go with the MG Head. If I don't like it, I guess I can always sell it. Tis is the life........

On another note, I"ve been listening to my HD600s for about 20 min or so (after 30 hour burn-in). Thinks much much better than SBC HP910. The treble is a bit too high though, almost sharp. Like a shrill.

Hopefully the tube amp will help smooth this out.....
Until then....

Mar 2, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #30 of 42
Wait, jodokast, you're not getting the OTL version? I do really recommend the OTL version. I thought OTL worthless until I heard it with Nick's tube, then I found it far preferable to transformer (MG Head DT) mode. Of course, there's a small price difference and you may be getting an excellent deal on a non-OTL one. If so, there are people here who can walk you through the mod.

In any case, I'm sure you'll be very happy with the amp. Even before I heard it with good tubes I had a twinge of regret letting it go. The thing just sounded so great with guitars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back