Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Mar 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #392 of 1,185
  Does the opus 2 pair up well with arthur n zeus r adel with g1 module?

Yes, it does.  You get more body in sound and some improvement in mid-bass (Zeus XRA).

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #393 of 1,185

I've sent an enquiry to:

info@thebit.co.kr

...asking if they will support and honor their warranty for a DAP purchased from eglobalcentral.  I'll report back when/if they respond.

theBit finally confirmed that they would NOT honor their warranty for DAPs ordered from eGlobalCentral.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #394 of 1,185
theBit finally confirmed that they would NOT honor their warranty for DAPs ordered from eGlobalCentral.

Sorry to hear that. But there's always MusicTeck. Just tell Andrew Pinky sent you, and he'll charge you a little extra. :wink:

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #395 of 1,185
I already mentioned how bad the website listed above was, working mostly with a backorder system, and providing products of unknown origins (hence the lack of warranty, since it is clearly grey market).

Honestly, it is disappointing to see the small number of Opus retailers in some parts of the world.
In Europe, the choice is severely lacking and most of them NEVER EVER have Opus #2 in stock (certainly due to a pricerange that doesn't bring a lot of customers, unlike Opus #1).

A price closer to Sony NW-WM1A would certainly help, given the large technical similarities.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #396 of 1,185
Sorry to hear that. But there's always MusicTeck. Just tell Andrew Pinky sent you, and he'll charge you a little extra.
wink.gif

I second that..MusicTeck is great to deal with and Andrew is a straight up guy.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #398 of 1,185
Does the opus 2 pair up well with 64 audio u10 or u12? Any addtion for module ?

Pairs great! I used balanced output and the B1 module on the U12

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #399 of 1,185
So if one (me that is) decided that the whole 'DAP as almost a smartphone/Android' thing is for the birds, and picked up a TOTL DAP like the Opus#2, Plenue S, or the new Plenue 2 coming out, what would one use for a portable streaming source? Obviously I have no problem at home with a computer to stream the content -- doing that now with the X5iii I just picked up.

What I'm thinking of is a source that streams Tidal or Spotify or ... probably over WiFi and drops that stream on the DAP's USB input, treating it as a DAC/AMP for streamed content.

Doable?

What does one use? Can't be my work iPhone. And I don't really need it to have a cellular connection, although a non-activated phone would be fine. Some other DAP which does stream, but has USB out?

The whole point of this is that I don't stream for serious listening -- I mostly use it to check new music and investigate recommendations.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #400 of 1,185
So if one (me that is) decided that the whole 'DAP as almost a smartphone/Android' thing is for the birds, and picked up a TOTL DAP like the Opus#2, Plenue S, or the new Plenue 2 coming out, what would one use for a portable streaming source? Obviously I have no problem at home with a computer to stream the content -- doing that now with the X5iii I just picked up.

What I'm thinking of is a source that streams Tidal or Spotify or ... probably over WiFi and drops that stream on the DAP's USB input, treating it as a DAC/AMP for streamed content.

Doable?

What does one use? Can't be my work iPhone. And I don't really need it to have a cellular connection, although a non-activated phone would be fine. Some other DAP which does stream, but has USB out?

The whole point of this is that I don't stream for serious listening -- I mostly use it to check new music and investigate recommendations.

I'm not sure I understand. From what I understand you are using the X5iii as a coaster and want to buy another DAP that's TOTL and has streaming support even though you won't use it for "serious listening" so therefore you don't need TOTL but want one just because.

If that is the case then you should get the AK380SS which is a meagre $5k, but you can always find a seller on eBay who can sell it to you at a higher price if you like. Alternatively you can buy it at retail price and satisfy your need to spend more by buying at least 20 of an excellently priced TOTL dap that's under your budget like the DX200 so you can chuck them at those who annoy you.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #401 of 1,185

Doable?

I think I am a bit confused as well - like other people who are replying to this. How are you going to receive the streaming signal, without wither wi-fi, bluetooth, or cell reception?  And, including those feautres, along with other "phone-stuff" makes the device, in most respects, just a phone......

It does not make much sense to buy a totl dap to use just as a dac/amp-that's what things like the Mojo are for...  I totally get the idea that everybody wants every device to do everything awesomely (I know I do). But the there's the real world

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #402 of 1,185
  I think I am a bit confused as well - like other people who are replying to this. How are you going to receive the streaming signal, without wither wi-fi, bluetooth, or cell reception?  And, including those feautres, along with other "phone-stuff" makes the device, in most respects, just a phone......

It does not make much sense to buy a totl dap to use just as a dac/amp-that's what things like the Mojo are for...  I totally get the idea that everybody wants every device to do everything awesomely (I know I do). But the there's the real world

I'm not sure I understand. From what I understand you are using the X5iii as a coaster and want to buy another DAP that's TOTL and has streaming support even though you won't use it for "serious listening" so therefore you don't need TOTL but want one just because.

If that is the case then you should get the AK380SS which is a meagre $5k, but you can always find a seller on eBay who can sell it to you at a higher price if you like. Alternatively you can buy it at retail price and satisfy your need to spend more by buying at least 20 of an excellently priced TOTL dap that's under your budget like the DX200 so you can chuck them at those who annoy you.

I guess I shouldn't have posted at zero-dark-thirty.  It was perfectly clear to me :)

I had been listening to iPhone/vModa Vamp combo.  But the Vamp has developed a serious case of 'I don't feel like working today' -- can't rely on it.  I've been on a bit of a journey to find a portable source to replace it.  I've had:

DX80
Plenue M2
Opus#1
dp-x1

None have quite been the bees knees for various reasons.  So I'm still digging.  I had kinda/sorta been thinking I'd end up with a dx200, but the functional issues seem never-ending.

mostly listen to off-line music from an SD card.

But I also do a little streaming.

So I've decided that the right answer is to get a TOTL DAP to do the thing I really care about -- play off-line music.  That's why I'm thinking I'll go Opus#2 or Plenue S or Plenue 2.  But I'm not looking for help with that decision.  

What I'm trying to figure out is what I can use as a portable streaming source into the DAP.  I will purchase a DAP which has USB input and which can serve as a DAC/Amp for that source.  I guess you might say I'm looking for a 'streaming transport' if that makes sense.

And no, the X5iii isn't a coaster.  I'm listening to it,  but not sold on it.  It'll probably move on in a bit.

Clear(er)?

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #403 of 1,185

I guess I shouldn't have posted at zero-dark-thirty.  It was perfectly clear to me :)

I had been listening to iPhone/vModa Vamp combo.  But the Vamp has developed a serious case of 'I don't feel like working today' -- can't rely on it.  I've been on a bit of a journey to find a portable source to replace it.  I've had:

DX80
Plenue M2
Opus#1
dp-x1

None have quite been the bees knees for various reasons.  So I'm still digging.  I had kinda/sorta been thinking I'd end up with a dx200, but the functional issues seem never-ending.

mostly listen to off-line music from an SD card.

But I also do a little streaming.

So I've decided that the right answer is to get a TOTL DAP to do the thing I really care about -- play off-line music.  That's why I'm thinking I'll go Opus#2 or Plenue S or Plenue 2.  But I'm not looking for help with that decision.  

What I'm trying to figure out is what I can use as a portable streaming source into the DAP.  I will purchase a DAP which has USB input and which can serve as a DAC/Amp for that source.  I guess you might say I'm looking for a 'streaming transport' if that makes sense.

And no, the X5iii isn't a coaster.  I'm listening to it,  but not sold on it.  It'll probably move on in a bit.

Clear(er)?

Definitely clearer. In that case all you need is any iPhone or Android phone if you'll be plugging it into the DAP for streaming purposes.

However I will argue strongly in favor of purchasing the DX200 instead. I bought it 2 weeks ago and as you said, it was suffering a whole host of technical issues. However, their support is great and I received a replacement device and it's been smooth sailing from here on out, and there's also the huge benefit of them releasing upgrade/different-function AMP modules in the future, so you get that extra longevity.

However I also just realized that you wrote that you aren't looking for help with that decision, so maybe you will disregard this comment.

However the Opus #2 will support streaming in the future as well, so in either case of the DX200 or Opus #2 you get a TOTL dap with streaming, both functioning at the highest level as stand-alone music players with the added benefit of streaming. So they perform at least as good (in large part better than most or all) as the offline-only DAPs, according to customer feedback. I can say the DX200 is better than my Mojo, and I haven't fully burned it in. So then you don't need that extra streaming device, and all your needs are indeed solved.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #404 of 1,185
  Definitely clearer. In that case all you need is any iPhone or Android phone if you'll be plugging it into the DAP for streaming purposes.

However I will argue strongly in favor of purchasing the DX200 instead. I bought it 2 weeks ago and as you said, it was suffering a whole host of technical issues. However, their support is great and I received a replacement device and it's been smooth sailing from here on out, and there's also the huge benefit of them releasing upgrade/different-function AMP modules in the future, so you get that extra longevity.

However I also just realized that you wrote that you aren't looking for help with that decision, so maybe you will disregard this comment.

However the Opus #2 will support streaming in the future as well, so in either case of the DX200 or Opus #2 you get a TOTL dap with streaming, both functioning at the highest level as stand-alone music players with the added benefit of streaming. So they perform at least as good (in large part better than most or all) as the offline-only DAPs, according to customer feedback. I can say the DX200 is better than my Mojo, and I haven't fully burned it in. So then you don't need that extra streaming device, and all your needs are indeed solved.

Thanks for the response.  It's not that I'm not interested in input regarding DAP choice.  I just didn't want to confuse the question I was asking -- I had already accomplished that last night apparently.

And I have agonized over the dx200 possibility.  Seems like 'Pure Music'  most of the time with a side of Android when I'm in the mood to stream new stuff is just what I'm looking for.  I just don't want to deal with a bunch of glitches.  I work in computers/technology all day.  I just want my music system to work, not be another headache.

Also, the Fiio was always intended to be a 'holding action' which would allow me to delay the decision process for a bit.

As far as using a phone as transport -- will an iPhone actually work -- used to be third parties had to make some deal with Apple to get digital audio out the docking port -- that's what got me into the Vamp.  Not true any more?  Does it have to be an iPhone 7?

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #405 of 1,185

Users who are viewing this thread

Back