Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Apr 26, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #991 of 1,185
So having spent a not inconsiderable sum getting some iem's with balanced 2.5mm cable I've decided I prefer using se, music sounds more impactful is the best way I can describe it.

So if you have Opus#2 don't necessarily think your missing out not going balanced as The Bit must've put a lot of consideration when designing 3.5mm out. :slight_smile:

Update: Been listening through balanced and it does sound more dynamic and has the 'edge' over se. Some of my music has a lot of heavily distorted guitar work and I think se tamed some of the highs (not so piercing/bright) hence my thoughts on se.
Thanks a lot! I will definitely buy the balanced 2.5 mm cable. Any recommendations about brand are very welcome!

May 12, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #993 of 1,185
First of all, I've been having some issues with the screws falling off. Couple screws came out, and now I'm realizing that screws become loose from just vibrational movement of the device, and it will fall off. So, make sure to check if the screw is loosened or not.

Can anybody that uses this device regularly and moves it around in a pack or pocket that can cause vibrations to the device, that has not had a single screw fall out? I'm curious if it's just an issue of QC, and certain devices does not run into this issue?

The screw driver that fits the screws is called torx, and the size of the tip should be T6.

Although this is an annoyance, I like the player so much that I will put up with this.

This is my favorite player, and I would definitely recommend it for others if sound quality is their primary criteria.

I've been using full-sized headphones(that doesn't take much to drive), and it performs quite well compared to other DAPs I've tried . My TH-X00 Ebony gets lots of love from the Opus #2 (Well LPG is an exception, but much more expensive, and I find Opus #2 SQ is better). Very good bass response for a portable player, and it sounds quite balanced across the spectrum. It's my reference DAP.

This is my favorite DAP. This is the only and the primary DAP I use now, so it gets lots of use time from me.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #994 of 1,185
No screws fallen out here.

I havent tested them with a screwdriver to check for any looseness.

Its one of many daps I use when out, so its not on strict solo rotation.

May 13, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #996 of 1,185
I have heard rumors that "something" is on the horizon. But I don't know yet what unit number it will possess, or where in the performance line-up it will exist.

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,000 of 1,185
Can someone shed some light on the Opus#2 vs. Hiby R6? I'm jumping to a new DAP and I am torn between the two. Is an Opus#4 omg the horizon? Should I wait? Thanks.

There might be an Opus on the horizon, but I don't have precise data on its release and such, so waiting for a device that you don't know much about doesn't make much sense.

As for Opus #2 vs R6, they are pretty different devices, R6 is much smaller, much less expensive, has a quicker CPU, but #2 has more detail, a more organic sound, a more layered soundstage. Both are quite good in Streaming and apps, but R6 is Android, while #2 is quite customized in its own magical way, you sideload apps instead of installing them entirely.

Jun 10, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,001 of 1,185
There might be an Opus on the horizon, but I don't have precise data on its release and such, so waiting for a device that you don't know much about doesn't make much sense.

As for Opus #2 vs R6, they are pretty different devices, R6 is much smaller, much less expensive, has a quicker CPU, but #2 has more detail, a more organic sound, a more layered soundstage. Both are quite good in Streaming and apps, but R6 is Android, while #2 is quite customized in its own magical way, you sideload apps instead of installing them entirely.
Thanks...I really like the size and screen on the Hiby but it seems the Opus#2 has better sound. Is the Opus#2 that much better? Have you compared them?

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #1,002 of 1,185
Thanks...I really like the size and screen on the Hiby but it seems the Opus#2 has better sound. Is the Opus#2 that much better? Have you compared them?

I did compare them.

Basically, #2 feels like an overall upgrade, if you're not using EQ or too many Android apps.

R6 is more versatile in the firmware since it allows for quicker and for a larger app selection

If you plan on doing EQ and other tweaking , R6 might be the better option.

#2 is a one-piece high-end device. Both feel well built, but #2 is larger and feels a bit more premium in the build quality.

I can tell that both work incredibly well with Streaming and other bells and whistles.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,003 of 1,185
I did compare them.

Basically, #2 feels like an overall upgrade, if you're not using EQ or too many Android apps.

R6 is more versatile in the firmware since it allows for quicker and for a larger app selection

If you plan on doing EQ and other tweaking , R6 might be the better option.

#2 is a one-piece high-end device. Both feel well built, but #2 is larger and feels a bit more premium in the build quality.

I can tell that both work incredibly well with Streaming and other bells and whistles.
Thanks Again...so would it be safe to assume that for straight listening the #2 is leaps and bounds better? Would the Andromeda's be a good pairing with the #2? I have my iPhone X for apps so I really just want this to be a portable audiophile listening device and a place to store live music I download. BTW, I really enjoy your reviews, keep them coming.

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,004 of 1,185
Thanks Again...so would it be safe to assume that for straight listening the #2 is leaps and bounds better? Would the Andromeda's be a good pairing with the #2? I have my iPhone X for apps so I really just want this to be a portable audiophile listening device and a place to store live music I download. BTW, I really enjoy your reviews, keep them coming.

Thank you for your kind words!

It is hard to say that it is clearly or bounds better, it just is better. Like everything in audio, there is a phenomenon named the law of diminishing returns, which means that to get more minute improvements in sound, you need to spend more and more. This reaches higher levels the more you spend

Hiby is at a sweet spot with R6, while #2 is already a premium device, with a lot of fancy stuff, like uber good build quality and such.

Try to decide based on the overall device as well.

For your Andromdas, both would do a great job, but R6 has a high output impedance, which you should take into account, might introduce some hissing and make them a tad brighter.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #1,005 of 1,185
Does the Opus #2 do Convolution DSP? The FiiO X7 Viper Effects calls it Convolver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back