thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Sep 2, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #541 of 945
I'm sorry, but at that pricepoint, I just don't feel I should have to load a 3rd party firmware to get the thing to function properly.
Well, its a china based dap and they don't have Google play there. Its either you sideload apps or install a modified firmware to get Google play back.

Better to have a choice than not. It's not even that hard to install the modified firmware.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #542 of 945
Well, its a china based dap and they don't have Google play there. Its either you sideload apps or install a modified firmware to get Google play back.

Better to have a choice than not. It's not even that hard to install the modified firmware.

I was more referencing your smoothness and stability comment - shame that you need 3rd party firmware to get that.

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #543 of 945
I was more referencing your smoothness and stability comment - shame that you need 3rd party firmware to get that.
OK that makes much more sense. I particularly dislike the fact that it slows down the deeper you go inside folders since I categorise my songs that way. 7-8 folders in and it becomes very sluggish.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #544 of 945
@seanwee

How does the DX150 and 1s compare in terms of sheer sound quality?

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #545 of 945
@seanwee

How does the DX150 and 1s compare in terms of sheer sound quality?
The DX150 edges out the 1S only slightly with the stock amp module. With better amp modules like amp 8 if will no doubt be noticeably better.

The biggest drawback of the DX150 would be its single microsd slot imo.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #547 of 945
Has anyone here used the Opus 1s with Shure846 or Fidelio X2/27 headphones? I recently sold my Fiio x7 cause I wasn't a fan of the sound. Trying to decide if an Opus or Hiby would be a good fit for them.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #550 of 945
I just got this today, I am loving the sound but coming from the FIIO X7 with AM5 module I am really missing the power and even some of the extra programs to color the sound a bit when I just want to have a more fun sound rather than on point. Are there any good portable amps in the 200-300 dollar range that any of you use with this? With the Fiio and am5 it had enough power to overpower my Phillips X27 headphones,but this Opus does not have that hard hitting energetic sound.

Not sure if should add something for more power or just hold on to this for a while and then sell it for a DX200 or possibly the Fiio x7ii (since people said this has a much different sound than the x7).

Sep 16, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #551 of 945
I just got this today, I am loving the sound but coming from the FIIO X7 with AM5 module I am really missing the power and even some of the extra programs to color the sound a bit when I just want to have a more fun sound rather than on point. Are there any good portable amps in the 200-300 dollar range that any of you use with this? With the Fiio and am5 it had enough power to overpower my Phillips X27 headphones,but this Opus does not have that hard hitting energetic sound.

Not sure if should add something for more power or just hold on to this for a while and then sell it for a DX200 or possibly the Fiio x7ii (since people said this has a much different sound than the x7).

Unless you're listening to dangerously loud volumes the #1S has more than enough power for the X2's (there's no way that I can even listen to them at close to maximum volume). It seems more likely that you don't enjoy the sound signature of the #1S and no amp is going to help with that.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #552 of 945

hahaha, i was comparing this with the DX120 but now am tempted to jump straight to the Chord Mojo

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #553 of 945
Unless you're listening to dangerously loud volumes the #1S has more than enough power for the X2's (there's no way that I can even listen to them at close to maximum volume). It seems more likely that you don't enjoy the sound signature of the #1S and no amp is going to help with that.

It seems with any type of EQ boost the sound just easily distorts. It can run the x2's but not to the potential they can put out. Even my Shure SE846's don't sound too great on them but I think it's me just not liking the Shure sound anymore. I even got different eartips this week for them and in my opinion I feel like I overpaid when I bought these Shure's. Even using it as a DAC on my computer some songs sound really great but then when I plug it back into my other source all the bass and excitement of the music comes back on . Where as with the Opus it really brings out that airy spacious feel with my Mirage Omnisats, but as I keep going back to it just is missing that energy.

I'm almost 100% sure that if Opus had a power module that you can plug for more power I'd be in love with this.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #554 of 945
It seems with any type of EQ boost the sound just easily distorts. It can run the x2's but not to the potential they can put out. Even my Shure SE846's don't sound too great on them but I think it's me just not liking the Shure sound anymore. I even got different eartips this week for them and in my opinion I feel like I overpaid when I bought these Shure's. Even using it as a DAC on my computer some songs sound really great but then when I plug it back into my other source all the bass and excitement of the music comes back on . Where as with the Opus it really brings out that airy spacious feel with my Mirage Omnisats, but as I keep going back to it just is missing that energy.

I'm almost 100% sure that if Opus had a power module that you can plug for more power I'd be in love with this.

Are you sure that you've got the #1S and not the original Opus #1? If not I'd guess your other sources are really bassy as the #1S is known for its great dynamics (compared to the original #1). If anything I prefer the original #1 with the X2's as I find them to have plenty of dynamics on their own and match better with the cleaner sound of the original #1. The original #1 is also less powerful than the #1S but still have enough power for the X2's as they're not very demanding in terms of power (more so in terms of matching imo).

Do you add a lot of bass with the EQ?

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #555 of 945
Are you sure that you've got the #1S and not the original Opus #1? If not I'd guess your other sources are really bassy as the #1S is known for its great dynamics (compared to the original #1). If anything I prefer the original #1 with the X2's as I find them to have plenty of dynamics on their own and match better with the cleaner sound of the original #1. The original #1 is also less powerful than the #1S but still have enough power for the X2's as they're not very demanding in terms of power (more so in terms of matching imo).

Do you add a lot of bass with the EQ?

I have the #1S. Well is this a more proper word of what I think I'm missing, it feels as if the music doesn't have much "weight" to it. That's really what I feel is really missing with this unit.
I spent more of today just listening to all types of music and it sounds way better on the Opus than the FIIO x7. Theres something about the x7 that made the music a bit off for me, like it gave it a darker tone or something.

I think the x2's handle up to 500mw of power and I know the 1s isn't anywhere close to that. For me the difference in power is incredibly obvious to my ears. I tried to mess around with the EQ and it's a toss up, for some songs it can make them the tiniest bit better or it will just distort the bass.

I'll probably keep this for a while and then trying out the Ibasso's and maybe see if I like that with some power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back