thebit Opus#1S DAP impressions
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #76 of 945
I won't have any answer on "quality" until I do some serious critical A/B listening. Again, not for quite some time.

HOWEVER! In terms of tuning... The 1S has a much warmer, smoother, type of sound. Fuller too. The original is rather more neutral and analytical.
Thanks for the feedback, although I don't think Opus #1 is very "neutral" (but you said "more neutral" so I get the message). :wink:
My only gripe with Opus #1 is that treble is a bit on the bright side, with a decay which is a tiny bit too fast.
So I hope they made Opus #1S treble slightly more "relaxed" (= AK380-like) while keeping the good bass slam of Opus #1 (unlike AK380).

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #77 of 945
Thanks for the feedback, although I don't think Opus #1 is very "neutral" (but you said "more neutral" so I get the message). :wink:
My only gripe with Opus #1 is that treble is a bit on the bright side, with a decay which is a tiny bit too fast.
So I hope they made Opus #1S treble slightly more "relaxed" (= AK380-like) while keeping the good bass slam of Opus #1 (unlike AK380).

It sounds like the 1S may be exactly what you are looking for.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #81 of 945
Mine arrived yesterday :D

I have been with Audio Opus since the original #1 and what I love is the super quick and easy to use interface.

I will post back with impressions soon, but Audio Opus rank high in my brands that offer the best bang for buck.

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #82 of 945
A19C354F-E2EA-44E0-A324-801B6946BFAF.jpeg AC4B9626-AA09-4F7C-B4A6-10BD61189D91.jpeg

Just in.
I’ll take some better photos soon.

Alongside some of its Opus siblings.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #84 of 945
Mine arrived yesterday :D

I have been with Audio Opus since the original #1 and what I love is the super quick and easy to use interface.

I will post back with impressions soon, but Audio Opus rank high in my brands that offer the best bang for buck.

Mine arrived this morning. I agree, Opus does a great job at offering a great bang for the buck.

I wasn't expecting it to be this powerful...

@PinkyPowers was absolutely right about it, #1s is so extremely strong, punchy and dynamic.

Hearing it with Beyerdynamic Amiron makes me understand why some people consider other sources flatter. I think that Opus #1s and Beyerdynamic Amiron make a heaven-sent pairing!

could it support the following?

PCM : 16kHz ~ 192Hz (8/16/24bits per Sample)
DSD Native: DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz, Stereo),
DSD128(1bit 5.6MHz, Stereo),
DSD256(1bit 11.2MHz, Stereo)

If you have some sample files, I can test that and how they work. I tested Hi-Res PCM files and they work just fine, but I'm not sure what type they are. The Mob Glitch thingy, Hi-Res, I think it is 96kHz instead of 192kHz, but I am not sure.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #85 of 945
Mine arrived this morning. I agree, Opus does a great job at offering a great bang for the buck.

@PinkyPowers was absolutely right about it, #1s is so extremely strong, punchy and dynamic.

Hearing it with Beyerdynamic Amiron makes me understand why some people consider other sources flatter. I think that Opus #1s and Beyerdynamic Amiron make a heaven-sent pairing!

If you have some sample files, I can test that and how they work. I tested Hi-Res PCM files and they work just fine, but I'm not sure what type they are. The Mob Glitch thingy, Hi-Res, I think it is 96kHz instead of 192kHz, but I am not sure.

Opus #1 was more neutral, Opus #1s is a little fuller and definitely very punchy.

Opus #2 is quite a bit more refined than the #1s, but the #1s is for people who want a bit more fun in my opinion. I think Opus #1s paired with the IMR R1 is the ultimate on the go fun sounding setup... not neutral by any stretch but very punchy, dynamic and impactful.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #86 of 945
Opus #1 was more neutral, Opus #1s is a little fuller and definitely very punchy.

Opus #2 is quite a bit more refined than the #1s, but the #1s is for people who want a bit more fun in my opinion. I think Opus #1s paired with the IMR R1 is the ultimate on the go fun sounding setup... not neutral by any stretch but very punchy, dynamic and impactful.

I understand now why people love this type of signature so much... And the top end is not smooth by any means, it has enough sparkle to make my day bright and shiny!

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #87 of 945

mate, please get it from here --- > http://www.2l.no/hires/

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #88 of 945
So just got the reply from the bit about when you unplug the headphone with 2.5mm port, the song doesnt pause
Dear Customer

We apologize for any inconvenience.

The 2.5mm jack does not recognize headphone insert/eject.
This is a mechanical problem with the 2.5 mm terminal, which is diffcult to fix with the firmware.

So just make sure pause it before you unplug your headphone.

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #89 of 945
Found the post

“I wrote about my brief show impressions. Cant write much more without going into inaccurate imagination territory.

I did spend some time with both though.

Using the Andromeda with stock Litz SE cable to try to stay semi reference for the day.

I really enjoyed the S1 and thought it was a step up from the #1 . Perhaps incorporating a few tricks from #3 and esp #2 daps.

But as always its a matter of taste.

I wrote above
“I A/B’d the original Opus#1 with the new Opus#1 (and volume checked with a spl meter).
As we know the original Opus#1 is quite linear, the new version of the Opus#1 mark 2 is more dynamic, deeper, fuller and bolder.”

Ww
I am looking forward to comparing my earlier show impressions (above ) from last year to the final model.

Although from Pinky Powers recent posts it seems the general idea is the same.

Also:
Opus 1 before update vs Opus 1S

Opus 1 after update vs Opus 1S

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #90 of 945
I agree with your early impressions. Except for "more dynamic". I consider the original #1 to be a fireball of dynamism. The 1S doesn't really seem more so. Not to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back