thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jun 14, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #496 of 4,190
If you use sensitive earphone like SE846 then u must go with Bal port!
If u don't then SE is just fine! I still think Bal port bring a little bit better SQ to user but u need 2.5-3.5 adapter for your cable when you want to try another DAP/DAC/amp ^^ or you should have 2 cables with balance and unbalance jack ^^

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Have been using only balance since I got it.  But lately when tried out SE , was shocked at how good it is. This was not a case for Onkyo where its balance was clearly superior. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #497 of 4,190
I started using the BO only, but the SE is great too. I also own the DPX1 and really have no use for it anymore. The Opus really does it all, and I am liking it more and more every time I use it.

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #498 of 4,190
I started using the BO only, but the SE is great too. I also own the DPX1 and really have no use for it anymore. The Opus really does it all, and I am liking it more and more every time I use it.

For my taste, Onkyo still sounds better and has better layering. This only achieves if you set it up correctly coz the default setting on the unit makes it sound so dull.  

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #499 of 4,190
have 
  For my taste, Onkyo still sounds better and has better layering. This only achieves if you set it up correctly coz the default setting on the unit makes it sound so dull.  

any recommendations on settings?

Are you referring to the equalizer as well?

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #500 of 4,190
  have 
any recommendations on settings?

Are you referring to the equalizer as well?

No I don't use any equalizer, just Sharp filter and narrowest clock for my taste. Beware if you have any file that  24?, dsd or mqa, it might cause clippings with this setting. My music are mostly in Flac 16/44 and mp3 320. I don't believe in 24 bit files except mqa and dsd but I just don't have many recordings in those...

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #501 of 4,190
does it have Line out function? one of those official pictures shows it can be used as source for active speakers, its just bit confusing because according to that picture both outputs are used - SE for ground and balanced for L/R signal?? also to me it seems like its very similar to AK 120 II and with AKs balanced output is said to work as line out when volume is on max level, so maybe it is the same with opus?

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #502 of 4,190
  does it have Line out function?

There's no line out function that I have found.  I've been using my Opus1 from balanced out to my RSA SR-71B and single ended out to my Bottlehead Mainline with good success.  I don't max the volume on the Opus1, but leave it at 140.  I find I get a little bass distortion at max volume.

So far I love everything about the sound quality of the Opus1.  It bests my AK 120, that I have since sold.

The only two funny things I have found are:

1) The left to right balance adjustment virtual knob is backwards.  When you move it to the right with your finger, it adjusts the volume to the left channel and when you move it to the left with your finger, it adjusts the volume to the right channel.  This isn't a big deal because I only used it when testing my new balanced interconnect for the SR-71B (confirmed that it wasn't my new cable by connecting to my Bottlehead Mainline using a 3.5mm to RCA cable that is known to be correct).  It's something I can live with but it's kind of odd to have the virtual knob work backwards.

2) The Opus1 doesn't appear to support ID3v2.4 tags.  I noticed that the audio files I downloaded from Beatport were showing with no tag info (no artist, album, artwork, etc.) on the Opus1.  When checking the files out with Kid3, I discovered those are the only files with ID3v2.4 tags.  I've been converting my CDs on my Mac Mini to ALAC which use MP4 tags, which are OK.  My vinyl recorded with Audacity to FLAC are all using Vorbis tags, which are also OK.  I'm not sure what the problem is with using ID3v2.4 tags.  I'm trying to figure out how to convert them to ID3v2.3 tags, but so far no luck.  Has anyone else had this problem?

-Robert

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #503 of 4,190
I have two 200Gig cards.  Questions...

- What is recommended for formatting?  Format in the Opus #1 or in my PC or leave it as is and don't format? 
- What do you recommend for file transfer?  Put the cards in my PC and copy files over?  Or put the blank cards in the Opus #1 and copy files over from my PC onto the cards?

thnx

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #504 of 4,190
I have the same setup. I formatted both cards in the Opus 1. For my initial "large transfer" I did it through my PC. Now when I add an album on I just plug in the Opus and do a transfer. Seemed like the best option and everything works fine for me.:xf_eek:

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #505 of 4,190
I fixed my issue with the Opus1 not reading tags.  The files that it was having a problem with are AIFF.  I converted to FLAC and now they're fine.  So maybe it's an issue with the Opus1 not recognizing tags for AIFF files.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #506 of 4,190
I have the same setup. I formatted both cards in the Opus 1. For my initial "large transfer" I did it through my PC. Now when I add an album on I just plug in the Opus and do a transfer. Seemed like the best option and everything works fine for me.:xf_eek:

When you say 'formatted both cards in the Opus 1', is that the 'Erase SD card' option under 'System information', or is that somewhere else.

I put both cards in, fresh from the packaging, and they were immediately mounted by the Opus. I performed the Erase all function against both cards. I took both cards out. I copied 151 Gigs of HDTracks to one card within my PC. The other is still blank. And now whichever card I put in the Opus 1, it is not automatically mounted, and if I click Mount SD card, the screen blanks and goes back to the player, and cards remains unmounted. :frowning2: I have rebooted the opus 1.

Ugh, I knew I should have left well enough alone when it looked like the card was recognized the 1st time.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #507 of 4,190
This is going from bad to worse...

All, especially The Bit representatives, please be advised that I downloaded file named TheBIT_DriverSetup_v3.34.0.zip that you have stickied at the top of your download page at www.audio-opus.com, and when I unzipped it the executable file was immediately deleted by my Norton protection, as it is infected with Trojan.Gen.SMH. ! :frowning2:

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #508 of 4,190
I downloaded file named TheBIT_DriverSetup_v3.34.0.zip 

You don't need a driver for Mac or Windows with the Opus#1.  The driver on their site is for the Opus#11.  All you need is the firmware file.

Go here:
http://www.audio-opus.com/pages/firmware-update/

Download the firmware file for the Opus#1, currently ver.1.11.00.

Copy the firmware file to the root directory of the internal memory of your Opus#1.

Disconnect your Opus#1 from the computer.

On your Opus#1, go to the Settings menu and select Update->System Update, then click Yes.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #509 of 4,190
Thanx for that.  Tho I did already do that not long ago.  Back to that zip download... I figured that application would 'wrap' the raw Opus Media Device with a UI, and I wanted to see what it would do.  But I'll never get to know. -lol

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #510 of 4,190
  You may need to activate EQ then go to settings and make your own settings saving them as User 1/2/3. After you do it, just stop playing the file and restart it after few seconds. It will not take effect immediately like in other devices. But it works well!

I would like to echo basically everyone's sentiment.  Designing the EQ function to operate this way is confounding.  Only people with eidetic tonal memory (if that is a thing) can be expected to 'tweek' the tone sliders, with unmarked db scales no less, without needing a dozen tedious and time consuming iterations of the steps described above.  Please enhance the EQ control to work like every other EQ control in the world.  The only way I can see it serve the desired purpose without it being completely aggravating is to be a 'real-time' control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back