thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
May 25, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #436 of 4,190

I need to build a 2.5mm 4-pole adapter to Kobikonn connector since that's what the RSA SR-71B balanced out is and that's how I built my custom cables.

I wish I could find a high quality 2.5mm 4-pole make right angle plug.  The size of the 2.5mm plug is so small that I worry about a straight connector getting jostled and breaking.

-Robert

I ordered a kobiconn to 2.5mm adapter from here (still waiting for it)

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/

May 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #438 of 4,190
Boom! and just like that v1.11 firmware update fixed the artwork problem (all good now!) and the sound had a very subtle change where now it's hard to tell the difference between PAW Gold and Opus#1.  Just spent 20min with ES60 w/SuperBaX cable, switching between LPG and Opus while listening to KSHMR latest EP, and both sources sound nearly the same.  While Opus used to be a touch warmer and had less aggressive mid-bass punch (slower attack), now I hear it close to LPG.  I also could swear that Opus sounds as transparent now.  Will do more listening tomorrow with fresh ears (tired after a long day), but so far I'm VERY happy with what I'm hearing.

May 26, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #440 of 4,190
I just read through all 30 pages, good thing I did as I'm in the market for a new DAP since selling off my old gear.   Kind of want to stick to an "all in 1 solution" this time instead of a stack.   

Was considering a QP1R until I read of the scroll wheel falling off after short height drops.  And, it's cheaper to boot!

Anything else in this price range (up to 1K) that I should consider?   (wifi not necessary).

May 26, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #442 of 4,190
I went to try the Opus today. I really wanted to like the Opus since it's like 3 times cheaper then AK320.

Test Songs:
-Arnesen - Magnificat 4. Et Misericordia FLAC
-Yo-Yo Ma - Ave Maria FLAC
-Diana Krall -Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea Remastered FLAC 

Test Equipment: Oppo PM3

Initial Impressions of Opus:
Construction looks good and feels good in the hand, although it's made from plastic housing, it feels firm and solid. Screen resolution and viewing angles are terrible, although it's not that critical since it's mainly for album art and navigation. Like the firm buttons, so no accidental presses. Selection of songs is pretty basic but functional, loading my 64GB card was pretty fast ... where's the playlist selection .. WHAT ? No playlist selection !?! 

Initial listen: 
Soundstage is nice .. instruments left and right and at the back, lots of kick powering the PM3 (PM3 needs power to shine man). But where is the emotion? I don't FEEL the warm emotional feels from Yoyo Ma's cello string (On side note, Chord Mojo does a EXCELLENT job of conveying the warm emotional feels from Yoyo Ma's Ave Maria, you feel chills going up the spine).
In summary, great soundstage, lots of power/kick, but cold and clinical.   

Here's a quick look at the display viewing angles, I thought the display was functional but really horrible and washed out.

May 26, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #443 of 4,190
I went to try the Opus today. I really wanted to like the Opus since it's like 3 times cheaper then AK320.

Test Songs:
-Arnesen - Magnificat 4. Et Misericordia FLAC

-Yo-Yo Ma - Ave Maria FLAC

-Diana Krall -Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea Remastered FLAC 

Test Equipment: Oppo PM3

Initial Impressions of Opus:

Construction looks good and feels good in the hand, although it's made from plastic housing, it feels firm and solid. Screen resolution and viewing angles are terrible, although it's not that critical since it's mainly for album art and navigation. Like the firm buttons, so no accidental presses. Selection of songs is pretty basic but functional, loading my 64GB card was pretty fast ... where's the playlist selection .. WHAT ? No playlist selection !?! 

Initial listen: 

Soundstage is nice .. instruments left and right and at the back, lots of kick powering the PM3 (PM3 needs power to shine man). But where is the emotion? I don't FEEL the warm emotional feels from Yoyo Ma's cello string (On side note, Chord Mojo does a EXCELLENT job of conveying the warm emotional feels from Yoyo Ma's Ave Maria, you feel chills going up the spine).
In summary, great soundstage, lots of power/kick, but cold and clinical.   

My take of the Opus 1 is more of a clean, mellow and blend sound. I've audition it 3 times and still did not pull the trigger as I am a little in-between on the sound sig.

May be interesting to see how it fair against the AK300 or Opus #2.

May 26, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #444 of 4,190
My take of the Opus 1 is more of a clean, mellow and blend sound. I've audition it 3 times and still did not pull the trigger as I am a little in-between on the sound sig.

May be interesting to see how it fair against the AK300 or Opus #2.

I actually did a side by side testing with the store's AK320 .. the AK320 although did not have the same wide soundstage, it had a warmer, more emotional sound signature as compared to the Opus. 

May 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #445 of 4,190
I've been rather "stale" in the upgrade of my DAPs lately. Last DAP I bought was an AK100II late last year... I can feel the upgradititis kicking in, and I'm thinking it's time that I move on from my AK100II. Reading through the pages it looks like the Opus is a worthy contender for my next DAP. Any opinions from those who had listened or owned both?

May 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #446 of 4,190
I've been rather "stale" in the upgrade of my DAPs lately. Last DAP I bought was an AK100II late last year... I can feel the upgradititis kicking in, and I'm thinking it's time that I move on from my AK100II. Reading through the pages it looks like the Opus is a worthy contender for my next DAP. Any opinions from those who had listened or owned both?

Opus#1 vs AK120ii comparison was mentioned toward the end of my review here.

May 26, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #448 of 4,190

I am enjoying my first full day.

Very clear, lets my earphones do the work. I like the colorless, flat aspect.

Exactly, you want your source to be as neutral and colorless as possible, yet highly resolving and transparent.  Let your different earphones "color" the sound according to their signature :wink:

May 27, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #450 of 4,190

I am enjoying my first full day.

Very clear, lets my earphones do the work. I like the colorless, flat aspect.

Same here, enjoying this setup a lot!  Had to switch to Ken's new Litz cable, making the pair up of Opus#1 with Pristine-R one heck of a smooth reference quality sound!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back