thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
May 16, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #421 of 4,190
From what i gather...this dude is somewhere on par with LPG and in the same area as the AK240.

Jumped on the massdrop as well =D. Hope it does better than my HM650.

U won't be disappointed. I too, together with a handful of others find that it's better than the AK240.

May 17, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #422 of 4,190
For me, in New Jersey, the Mass Drop price with case, shipping, and taxes is only a few dollars less than the Amazon price. If I get this, I'll get it on Amazon so I can return it if it doesn't measure up.

May 17, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #423 of 4,190
  assuming you have kobiconn 4pin to 2.5mm trrs adapter?

I don't have an adapter yet.  I am ordering the parts to build one.  I've built high end balanced cables for all my headphones.  The hardest part to find is a 2.5mm 4-pole right angle male jack that is a high quality connector, gold or copper.  First impressions with my Earsonics Velvet are very good.  I've tried both single ended straight to my Velvets and single ended to my SR-71B with balanced to my Velvet.  Both are very nice with slight edge to running through the SR-71B.  I'm no expert, but maybe the SR-71B is better at driving the Velvets.

I believe there isn't a line out setting for the Opus 1, but does anyone know what a good volume level is for getting something close to line out?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

May 17, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #424 of 4,190

assuming you have kobiconn 4pin to 2.5mm trrs adapter?

I don't have an adapter yet.  I am ordering the parts to build one.  I've built high end balanced cables for all my headphones.  The hardest part to find is a 2.5mm 4-pole right angle male jack that is a high quality connector, gold or copper.  First impressions with my Earsonics Velvet are very good.  I've tried both single ended straight to my Velvets and single ended to my SR-71B with balanced to my Velvet.  Both are very nice with slight edge to running through the SR-71B.  I'm no expert, but maybe the SR-71B is better at driving the Velvets.

I believe there isn't a line out setting for the Opus 1, but does anyone know what a good volume level is for getting something close to line out?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

LO supposed to be an output of your DAC, bypassing amplification stage.  So if you are feeding already "colored" HO of Opus#1 into your amp, you are facing double amping effect.  Opus has HO and digital out through optical mini toslink to use as a transport control feeding into external DAC/amp.

May 22, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #425 of 4,190
Boy, this thread sure shut down ... lol. I suspect when the Massdrop purchased units are delivered it should pick back up. I got 1 200 Gig microSD last weeke; will pick another one up shortly in preparation for the arrival. :)

May 24, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #426 of 4,190
http://www.audio-opus.com/pages/firmware-update/?uid=81&mod=document

[opus#1] FIRMWARE UPDATE_160521(ver.1.11.00)

• Fixed the wrong album art display bug, when several JPG files are contained.
  • Fixed the bug related to Favorite function.
  • Improved the Suspend entry

May 24, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #427 of 4,190
Hi All

I have a FiiO X5 2nd Gen and Fidue A83 IEM's. I was wondering if anyone had listened to the Opus and Fiio players and could shed some light on what I could expect if I upgraded.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Darren 

May 24, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #429 of 4,190
  Hi All

I have a FiiO X5 2nd Gen and Fidue A83 IEM's. I was wondering if anyone had listened to the Opus and Fiio players and could shed some light on what I could expect if I upgraded.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Darren 

You can expect a noticeable difference :)  I didn't compare X5ii but in my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-opus-opus-1/reviews/15801 toward the end I have comparison to other summit-fi DAPs.  X5ii is mid-fi, not in the same category.

May 24, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #430 of 4,190
Hey guys, to people owning this DAP : I want a dap approaching my MOJO and was thinking about Plenue 1 but then found this one, cheaper, with two sd slots and balanced out. Can anyone compare those two (only sound matters for me), I'm kinda lost now.

May 24, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #431 of 4,190
Can anyone compare those two (only sound matters for me),

The specs are really close on both, great SNR, low THD, low crosstalk...  The Plenue 1 slightly beats out the Opus 1 in SNR and THD, but at normal listening levels, you wouldn't be able to hear the difference in the distortion between the two.  The Opus 1 uses Cirrus Logic chips (two, one per channel) and Plenue 1 uses Burr-Brown (one), both are top of the line chips from each company.

I haven't heard the Plenue 1.  I suspect it sounds great because a lot of people love their Cowon players.  It really comes down to DAC implementation and the analog stage in each device, which manufacturers don't discuss because that's the real secret sauce of any digital to analog device.  With that being said, it's purely subjective.  You can read people's reviews but those are based on the listener's bias and might not agree with yours.  The other variable is what headphones you're pairing with the device.  The amp section of each device can make a significant difference in it's ability to properly drive your headphones.  In the end, you really have to listen for yourself or make a judgement based on features.  You can't really go wrong with either.

The price difference can be accounted for in the higher internal memory of the Plenue 1 (128GB vs. 32GB), the AMOLED display vs. TFT on Opus 1, and the metal unibody of the Plenue 1 vs. the plastic body of Opus 1.  The Opus 1 does have a few minor advantages like better battery life and two microSD slots.

The sound quality on the Opus 1 for me is fantastic.  I have an AK120 that I'm replacing, but I haven't done a side to side comparison yet.  I love the user interface of the Opus 1 a TON more than the AK120.  I wish the Opus 1 supported playlists though and it had a setting for line out mode, esp. on the balanced out.  I haven't played with the optical out yet nor have I listed to it from the balanced out because I need to build a 2.5mm 4-pole adapter to Kobikonn connector since that's what the RSA SR-71B balanced out is and that's how I built my custom cables.

I wish I could find a high quality 2.5mm 4-pole make right angle plug.  The size of the 2.5mm plug is so small that I worry about a straight connector getting jostled and breaking.

-Robert

May 25, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #434 of 4,190

The price difference can be accounted for in the higher internal memory of the Plenue 1 (128GB vs. 32GB), the AMOLED display vs. TFT on Opus 1, and the metal unibody of the Plenue 1 vs. the plastic body of Opus 1.  The Opus 1 does have a few minor advantages like better battery life and two microSD slots.

The sound quality on the Opus 1 for me is fantastic.  I have an AK120 that I'm replacing, but I haven't done a side to side comparison yet.

I would be VERY interested in this side-by-side comparison, my AK120 battery only lasts 4 hours which starts to be annoying.

Better battery life and 2 memory slots are NOT minor adavantages depending on the user.
128Gb + 1 slot is a no-go for me, since my collection grows beyond 328Gb (about 380Gb), and Cowon has always been behind regarding capacity...

I can do with 32Gb instead of 64Gb, but 2 slots is a must-have, unless they provide 256Gb internally without charging 3k$...
So this Opus #1 sounds interesting to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back