thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
May 13, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #407 of 4,190
It's a bummer for California residents because price with cover, shipping, and tax from Massdrop is only $4 less than Amazon.  I bought from Amazon because I can get it in two days with Prime...  Instant gratification wins!

May 14, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #411 of 4,190
May 14, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #413 of 4,190
  Hopefully in the next firmware they add Playlists and the ability to play all songs by a single artist.

You can tag song that you like with a star (in the main play screen) to add to Favorite list which in theory could be considered as a playlist :)  Plus, if your files have a proper id tag with artist name, it can sort by artist name.

May 15, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #415 of 4,190
  So I erased/formatted my 2 SD cards inside the Opus, filled them up with music and now I can't get them to mount when I put them back into the player. Already tried a factory reset. Any help?

May need to reformat and rebuild the partition on the cards?  Not an expert by any means.

May 15, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #416 of 4,190
I just got my Opus 1 from Amazon today.  I am updating the firmware and loading it up with songs now.  I know why the leather case comes with holes on the corners.  It's a functional problem.  If the corners were covered with leather as well, it would be difficult to push the unit out of the leather case.  With the corner holes cut out, you can easily press the bottom to push the unit out of the leather case.  It's actually a smart design that I think gives it a nice modern look.

I have an original AK120 that I'm replacing with this.  I'll post my sound impressions later when I have a chance to burn it in and give it a listen with my other gear.  I have an RSA SR-71B that I've been using with my AK120 connecting the SE output of the AK120 to the SR-71B and then balanced from SR-71B to various headphones, Earsonics Velvet, LCD2.2, Sennheizer HD650, Fostex THX-00, Beyerdynamic DT-770... I'm interested to find out how fully balanced will sound in comparison to my current setup.  It's probably all marketing hype!

May 15, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #417 of 4,190
  I just got my Opus 1 from Amazon today.  I am updating the firmware and loading it up with songs now.  I know why the leather case comes with holes on the corners.  It's a functional problem.  If the corners were covered with leather as well, it would be difficult to push the unit out of the leather case.  With the corner holes cut out, you can easily press the bottom to push the unit out of the leather case.  It's actually a smart design that I think gives it a nice modern look.

I have an original AK120 that I'm replacing with this.  I'll post my sound impressions later when I have a chance to burn it in and give it a listen with my other gear.  I have an RSA SR-71B that I've been using with my AK120 connecting the SE output of the AK120 to the SR-71B and then balanced from SR-71B to various headphones, Earsonics Velvet, LCD2.2, Sennheizer HD650, Fostex THX-00, Beyerdynamic DT-770... I'm interested to find out how fully balanced will sound in comparison to my current setup.  It's probably all marketing hype!

Congrats on your purchase!!!

Regarding balanced output comparison, that's kind of apples'n'oranges.  I have AK120ii, PAW5k, N5, L3 and Opus#1 - 5 different DAPs with 2.5mm balanced output and all have a different "balanced" sound quality.  One thing in common, balanced will give you higher output power.  But in terms of a noticeably wider soundstage expansion and lower noise floor - they all vary to a degree.  My PAW Gold with single ended output sounds as wide as the best 2.5mm TRRS balanced output from other daps I heard.  The same with Micro iDSD - it's SE 3.5mm trs output is as wide and spacious as other DAPs.  So, in theory any manufacture can recreate a quality output from single ended trs port, and it's possible without switching to balanced architecture. 

Bottom line, comparing Opus#1 balanced output to RSA balanced output and using the same pair of headphones (assuming you have kobiconn 4pin to 2.5mm trrs adapter?) will not prove much because it's just a matter of a different balanced design architecture.  In my experience, the best indicator of SE vs Balanced comparison is within the same DAP, comparing between the ports to hear how the manufacture implemented balanced in comparison to its own single ended
wink.gif

Definitely give it a good burn in and 2-3 full charge/discharge cycles with the latest firmware to calibrate and to condition the battery.

May 16, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #418 of 4,190
Edit. Great news to share. This player does stream over optical spdif up to the maximum for that medium. ... I'm going to get back in on the Massdrop sale!

May 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #419 of 4,190
From what i gather...this dude is somewhere on par with LPG and in the same area as the AK240.

Jumped on the massdrop as well =D. Hope it does better than my HM650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back