The Zune HD has failed to impress most. Who should be competing against Apple and how?
Sep 26, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #76 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Useful for lectures.

Not to mention trying to pick up some EVP's while Ghost Hunting....

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #77 of 101
Here's the deal, guys. Three mods and one administrator have been wasting time in this thread because some members think it's acceptable to not follow head-fi rules, and rather than disagreeing about an object, they level insults instead. Right now, there are multiple members basically begging to be banned. Decide if it's you.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #78 of 101
Quote:

Yes, it's full of ways to just try and sell you more music, really. Nothing really useful as far as playback, etc.

No, it's full of ways to help you discover new music. Which won't cost you anything extra if you have a zune pass.

Like if I'm listening to one of my favorite albums, and wanting something similar but new. I can look at the artist bio to see who that artist has worked with or been influenced by, I can check the related artist links, I can stream a bunch of the recommended albums at 192kbps to see if I like them, I can select a couple and download 256-320 kbps versions to my device...

I'd say those are some pretty useful playback scenarios...

You can casually dismiss them all you want, the fact remains that I can discover a ton of new music using these features in a risk-free environment. My music collection has expanded far more using the zune pass than it ever did before, and I don't have huge stacks of CDs with one good song on them lying around anymore.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #80 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Extropian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's full of ways to help you discover new music. Which won't cost you anything extra if you have a zune pass.

Like if I'm listening to one of my favorite albums, and wanting something similar but new. I can look at the artist bio to see who that artist has worked with or been influenced by, I can check the related artist links, I can stream a bunch of the recommended albums at 192kbps to see if I like them, I can select a couple and download 256-320 kbps versions to my device...

I'd say those are some pretty useful playback scenarios...

You can casually dismiss them all you want, the fact remains that I can discover a ton of new music using these features in a risk-free environment. My music collection has expanded far more using the zune pass than it ever did before, and I don't have huge stacks of CDs with one good song on them lying around anymore.

Don't you realize that this isn't something your fortuitously happened upon with such a useful feature but rather a way to keep you hooked into continuing to buy more music? Come on, guy.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #82 of 101
Quote:

Don't you realize that this isn't something your fortuitously happened upon with such a useful feature but rather a way to keep you hooked into continuing to buy more music?

Must you see a conspiracy in everything? It helps you find related music. If people buy it more often, great - that's the POINT. If I'm listening to music I like, I want to find (and purchase) more like it. I'm not seeing the downside. It's not keeping me "hooked" on anything. It's providing a service I want at a great value.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #83 of 101
Quote:

Don't you realize that this isn't something your fortuitously happened upon with such a useful feature but rather a way to keep you hooked into continuing to buy more music? Come on, guy.

He said if he had a Zune pass. He's already paying, and he can listen to and download an unlimited amount of full songs.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #84 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must you see a conspiracy in everything? It helps you find related music. If people buy it more often, great - that's the POINT. If I'm listening to music I like, I want to find (and purchase) more like it. I'm not seeing the downside. It's not keeping me "hooked" on anything. It's providing a service I want at a great value.

Hey, I'm all for marketing music to people but that guy is acting as if that "feature" isn't just a way to continue to have people hold on to their Zune Pass. Let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #85 of 101
Quote:

Hey, I'm all for marketing music to people but that guy is acting as if that "feature" isn't just a way to continue to have people hold on to their Zune Pass.

It's a feature, and people find it useful. Get over it already. The Zune pass does far more than just let you get music on the device, you also get to keep 10 songs per month and have unlimited music downloads while you hold it...

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #86 of 101
Quote:

Don't you realize that I knowingly pay for a zune pass so I can have the freedom to do this without having to spend an extra cent?

I'm not "hooked" on anything. I pay a monthly fee so I can explore freely without financial penalty. I can use my 10 free downloads to keep some stuff permanently each month, and I can buy more if I want to.

I'm not hooked on anything, I'm not being tricked. I genuinely like this model and it allows me to find more new music than I would otherwise.

I don't have to buy CDs blind, or try to judge whether I'm going to like something based off a 30 second clip that is part of the intro or a really slow section of the song half the time.

Before I got a zune pass I was so disgusted with the process of finding new music I basically gave up and just started pulling out old CDs I hadn't been listening to lately. Listening to the radio is hit or miss at best, about 75% of the CDs I would get would have the one good song that interested me and a bunch of crap filler, itunes previews suck...

Now using the zune pass features I find at least 5 GOOD new albums a month, if not more. I can't over-emphasize how valuable that is to me.

You can choose not to use these features, but don't pretend they are useless across the board, or empty marketing hooks. That is just silly.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #87 of 101
Extropian, marketing music on an mp3 player is not a feature. It's just a marketing tool. It's a way to interact with you in a way that keeps you on the Zune Pass. It's not exploitative by any means, but it's not a real feature anymore than you'd call Microsoft putting links to buy its other software on your Windows Desktop a feature.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #88 of 101
Quote:

Extropian, marketing music on an mp3 player is not a feature. It's just a marketing tool. It's a way to interact with you in a way that keeps you on the Zune Pass. It's not exploitative by any means, but it's not a real feature anymore than you'd call Microsoft putting links to buy its other software on your Windows Desktop a feature.

90beW.jpg

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #90 of 101
Quote:

Hey, I'm all for marketing music to people but that guy is acting as if that "feature" isn't just a way to continue to have people hold on to their Zune Pass. Let's call a spade a spade, shall we?

And you're acting as if there is some kind of trickery going on where there isn't.

I'm not being tricked into keeping my zune pass, I do so because it is very useful to me in discovering new music. Along with the features you have so much distain for.

Putting the word feature in quotes does not make it any less useful.

You want to call a spade a spade: The zune pass is a way for consumers like me to experiment with a large amount of new music with very little (~$5 a month) financial penalty, keeping only the stuff I really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back