The Zu Mobius - just how "Gradoized" is it?
Aug 12, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 13
In some aspects the Zu Mobius brings the HD650 in the direction of Grado in the sense that it sounds more direct and dynamic, and slightly brighter compared to the stock cable. In other aspects it brings it farther away. The soundstage is bigger than Grado already with the stock cable, and increases with Zu.
The difference to Grado is very great also with the Zu cable, IMO.

Aug 12, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 13
IMO, the Zu is a great addition but does not bring the Senn sound front and center like the Grado does. You will not rid the Senn of its laid back sound with the Zu. Instead, it takes care of the veil that I'm sure you have read about in many threads. The sound is more lively but not in your face.

Aug 13, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e
The silver dragon will brighten the 650's up more. Not enough in my opinion for the type of music I listen to. Rock

Just thinking logically here, it would seem to me that the silver dragon would improve on the HD650 mostly in the realm of treble energy/detail, while for rock you'd need more of a mid/midbass boost (or just removal of said veil).

I've avoided Sennheisers for a while now, convinced they were too laid back for my taste after demo'ing a set of HD600's with stock cable out of a Denon cdp. But now i'm wondering just how much they'd "improve" - to my taste anyway - with really fine amplification and a Zu.

Aug 13, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
Just thinking logically here, it would seem to me that the silver dragon would improve on the HD650 mostly in the realm of treble energy/detail, while for rock you'd need more of a mid/midbass boost (or just removal of said veil).

The 650 have ample mids & midbass they are defficient in the highs which contribute to the vield sound. The SD improved the phone greatly but not enough in my opinion. Silver cables will be the most gradoized when compared to a coper silver hybrid. I may try the pad removal which is also supposed to help.

Compared to my PS-1s they are dark even with the Silver wire. My grados are a tad too bright on certain meterial.

I feel like goldylox and I am looking for that midle bear that will be just right
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e
Compared to my PS-1s they are dark even with the Silver wire. My grados are a tad too bright on certain meterial.

I feel like goldylox and I am looking for that midle bear that will be just right
biggrin.gif

So am I. I love the Grado sound, but it can be a tad too attack-accentuated and forward at times. Not to mention the comfort issue. On the flip side of the coin, the Sennheiser sound is far too smooth/laidback for my taste, as i listen to alot of dynamic music.

RS-1 looks tempting, as its reported to be the most "easy listening" of the Grado line, but they're both very expensive and no more comfortable than my SR60's. So i'm looking for a good middle road as well.

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 13
Not very. I mean sure, it's a little faster, more dynamic, and a touch more emphasis on the treble...but it's no RS-1, anyway. I'm enjoying my Blue Dragon v2 a great deal more than the Zu Mobius...seems to be much more along the lines of what the HD650 SHOULD sound like (improving on the HD650s sonic characteristics, rather than slightly changing them as the Zu does). Both are great cables, though, in their own respects (the Zu is built like a tank, and feels a lot less fragile than the Blue Dragon v2, as well). Instead of trying to change the HD650 into something it's not via cabling, why not just look for another pair of cans that have the sound signature you're after. ...I say save up for those RS-1s and some C-Pads (which will alleviate any comfort issues anyone might have with Grados).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrOctagon
...I say save up for those RS-1s and some C-Pads (which will alleviate any comfort issues anyone might have with Grados).
smily_headphones1.gif

That'd be an attractive option, IF not for reviews i'd read concerning how much more "laid back" the RS-1 sounds with C-pads. IMO, The C-pads for the RS-1 achieve kind of the same, yet reverse effect of the Zu on the HD650.

Aug 18, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 13
Covenant, no cable is going to make an HD650 into a Grado, not even close. At the Florida meet last year, we had 3 or 4 cables there and it was tough, if not impossible, to tell the difference under meet conditions. There are differences in cables, but they are very subtle, very subtle. A cable won't transform a headphone, it will only change it very slightly. The difference between the stock cable and the Zu Mobius is small, but worth it to me. The Zu extends it farther in the bass and controls it, it also adds a bit of detail. But this takes a long time to perceive.
Now, the foam mod, that's another story. That really does change the character of the can.

Aug 18, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 13
At the recent meet in L.A, I had the chance to compare my HD650/Oehlbach to the HD650/Zu Mobius through Ray Samuels gear (Meridian 508, MIT ICs (?), Stealth).

I was going there expecting very subtle changes as explained below and I have been very skeptical with upgrade cables for a long time. But, was it an eye (ear) opening experience... The differences are far from subtle, I had harder time differentiating amps.

I think under the right level of upstream equipment, the improvements brought by the cable are not subtle at all (or could it be that the Oehlbach is that bad?!? I have not compared to stock.).

As for what the Zu Mobius brings to the table, my fresh impressions are very much in line with DevilDog's comments below (more controlled bass, more extension at both ends, a much smoother / coherent spectral balance).

Still, the HD650s/Zu do not sound like Grados to my ears...

Arnaud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
Covenant, no cable is going to make an HD650 into a Grado, not even close. At the Florida meet last year, we had 3 or 4 cables there and it was tough, if not impossible, to tell the difference under meet conditions. There are differences in cables, but they are very subtle, very subtle. A cable won't transform a headphone, it will only change it very slightly. The difference between the stock cable and the Zu Mobius is small, but worth it to me. The Zu extends it farther in the bass and controls it, it also adds a bit of detail. But this takes a long time to perceive.
Now, the foam mod, that's another story. That really does change the character of the can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back