The ZMF Omni name change contest and sale
Nov 23, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #181 of 431
ZMF Apex. 

It doesn't have to do with all-knowing, but it sounds cool and it means the peak of something. The top or the highest point. This is the highest point of your planar line so it works out! 

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #183 of 431
ZMF Canorous
  melodious; musical. (rare) tuneful; melodious
Origin: 1640-50; < Latin canōrus, equivalent to canōr- (stem of canor song, equivalent to can (ere) to sing + -or -or1) + -us -ous

The name flows well, and I think it integrates with the naming scheme of the two new ones. Then again, it's a dictionary lookup competition at this point, isn't it? Best of luck to everyone.

It'll stand out, that's for sure.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #187 of 431
ZMF Partout (pronounced par-two)

The definition of omnipresence I found is "the state of being everywhere at once." In the French language, everywhere = partout.
 Gimme ma headphones!
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #188 of 431
I think it should be named, the ZMF Étude

The definition of étude speaks for itself! I'm a violinist and the études that Kreutzer composed are surely an all encompassing collection of various compositions meant to improve one's proficiency in technical and musical finesse, and I think such a name would be highly fitting for these wonderful headphones. Good luck everybody :)

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #189 of 431
In Sanskrit the word "Aum"  stands to signify the concepts of ‘Omniscience’, ‘Omnipresence’ and ‘Omnipotence’. It also signifies all the frequencies of sound.  So i would go for a combination of "Omni" and "Aum"   ie.   "AUMNI"  

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #190 of 431
Great idea. What a great way to turn a negative, someone giving you grief about a name that sounds like you may have as many rights to as them, into a positive. Crowdsourcing your cans (headphones) name is great marketing. Well done! 

Product names are a bear. When I worked for M&M/Mars, back in the day, we paid dearly for names like Kudos. I think the company paid over a million 1984 dollars for the name "Kudos" and I'm not sure the candy even exists anymore. Kudos is how I learned about naming products. Names need to fit with their sibling products and stand on their own. 

These days "standing on your own" means owning a URL, being easy to type, and unique enough to have customers want to know more but not so hard to understand potential customers are discouraged. There is a fine line between mystery, allure, promise and trust. Oh and names need to pass those pesky legal tests too. 

I like your direction with Eikon and Atticus. When I Googled Eikon here is what I found:

"Eikon is the Greek word that encapsulates this truth that central to being human is the ability to reflect the very image of God."

So great name, and that is a backstory I'd work into your copy. Atticus is the protagonist of one of my favorite books - To Kill A Mockingbird. Another great name. You saved your company a couple million bucks!

? Cans Name
Since the team at ZMF has opened your process up to the crowd why stop there? Why not use this experience to create a movement others can join and collaborate with you to develop, create, and change the world a little. Music is a universal language, so let's use that idea and do more than name the ? headphones. I'm overstepping and know it, but I'm kind of known for that and you asked :)

Apala = name I'd give the ? cans

Apala is a Yoruba style of talking drum percussion from Nigeria. I think of headphones are a kind of "talking drum". I also found an interesting tie-in with Reverbnation.com. Reverb has a Maasai Music Project (https://www.reverbnation.com/maasaimusicproject ). I'd take a page out of Tom's shoes book and pledge a contribution to the project for every pair of Apala Headphones you sell. 

We do our jobs out of LOVE, or the best of us do. Passion, fun, and love of music have strong presence in your web copy and product creation. Read Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink. Pink shares research on the TINY minority who do things for money. Most people do things for love, justice and to do the right thing. Music is a universal language one we can use to create a movement, a movement to bring people together, share our love of music and listen to your God-like (Eikon), courageous (Atticus) and talking drum (Apala) headphones. 

ApalaHeadpones.com is or was available too. I rented it and will be glad to give it to you win, lose or draw. I found a treasure trove of names along this vain during my research, names I'll be glad to share in an email or call. I like the triptych of Eikon the Greek God, Atticus the brave and just, and Apala the talking drum with a nod to the Maasai, the African plains, and Kilimanjaro's snowy peaks. 

Eikon
Atticus
Apala

There are other good ideas in this thread too. Use Apala as your name or not I'm always glad to help fellow music lovers, courageous makers, and engineers. If you do use my name make a small donation to the Reverb Maasai Music Project and we'll call it even :).M

Rock On! Happy Thanksgiving!

Marty 

---
Martin Smith
Founder & CEO Curagami.com
e: martin(at)Curagami.com
t: @Scenttrail  @Curagami
l: linkedin.com/in/martysmith1980vc

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #191 of 431
The ZMF "Crescendo".  "Increase your audio bliss". The latin origin of crescendo is crescere meaning to "grow".

I had another thought... The ZMF "Tonewood". Not sure which one I want to stick with yet so I'll leave both for now

And here is another ZMF Theos.

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #194 of 431
How about The Aleph, after the Borges short story by the same name. The Aleph, in the story, is a point in space that contains all other points, a literal infinity. As headphones, the Aleph would be an infinity with a wood finish.

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #195 of 431
ZMF Manifest

"Clear or obvious to the mind", "Display or show (a quality or feeling) by one's acts or appearance; demonstrate."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back