The ZMF Auteur Wood Contest
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101
Ever wanted a ZMF Headphone made out of the wood of your choice? Now is your chance!​

Win our new open back headphone, the ZMF Auteur in the wood of your choice by entering the:

FAMOUS ZMF AUTEUR WOOD CONTEST!

How do you enter? Just read through the Auteur page here:

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/the-auteur/

Then at the bottom of the page, enter your name, email (for our mailing list), your head-fi name, and the wood you want your custom Auteur made in!

To be eligible to win, you MUST have signed up to be a head-fi member BEFORE the first day of this contest, October, 20th, 2017. The contest will be open until November 3rd at midnight CST USA. Only your first entry will count, if you enter more than once those entries will be disqualified.

We will ship the winner their Auteur when we start shipping pre-orders in January. We will ship anywhere in the world, USA or otherwise via the shipper of the winners choice. If the wood is available widely enough it will become the second "limited run" after our first limited run of African Blackwood.

Why are we doing this contest?

Over the past few years I've gotten a lot of requests for different woods in our various models. In order to satiate that demand, instead of carry numerous wood at once for each model, we will have revolving limited edition runs. Each time a limited batch of wood runs out, we will just move on to the next wood!

For the Eikon and Atticus, the stock wood will be Camphor. Meaning once Cherry and Padauk are sold out, they won't come back unless we do a limited run with them.

For the Auteur the stock wood will be Teak (pictures soon on our website)

How is the winner chosen?

My wife, @BooUrns will pick a number at random and that entry will win. If you qualify to win by picking a real wood (no bamboo please!), and being a head fi member before the contest started, you will be the winner!

I'm really excited for this! Looking forward to seeing your wood choices, and no matter if you win or not, this will help us determine what wood we will use for limited runs in the next year!

What if I don't win!?

Then you can still get a discounted ZMF Auteur in our stock wood Teak, or in our first limited run of African Blackwood by pre-ordering on November 10th at 10AM CST USA. We ship worldwide using Fed-Ex or DHL.

IMG_5790.jpgAUTERSMMM.jpgIMG_5794.jpg

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 101
Awesome contest! Thank you guys so much for extending this out to the community here! Super excited to hear about this, my only concern is what wood to select >.> digging around Lawton Audio's old Tone Wheel lol

I like my Cherry Eikon and I loved my Cherry W1000X, my Mango Wood HE 4 is pretty interesting as well, I've also had Mexican Cocobolo Lawton Modded D2ks and Waterfall Bubinga lawton modded D5k, I always missed that D5k though... had to sell it back in the day to fix my car, still these are open backs! @fleasbaby made a beautiful sounding Maple Cupped Black Limba driver housing for one of his builds and it sounded amazing! I typically like cleaner faster sounding wood too... and seeing as these would ideally be replacing my aging HE 4... part of me is drawn back to the beauty and crisp sound of Cocobolo!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 101
Entered in the contest. I love the woody characteristics of Mahogany in Guitars. It would be interesting to see how that effects these. It would be a classic choice for me considering the ORIs i had were cherry and sounded very "woody". Brazilian Rosewood would be my close second choice.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 101
zach915m, BooUrns, and everyone else involved at zmf headphones doing great things for the audio community as always

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 101
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 101
@zach915m and @BooUrns - I have just entered the contest. What a generous initiative!

I honestly cannot think of a more appropriate post to be my 500th (!) than one to say:
Thank you both for being so awesome, and thanks Zach for creating such amazing headphones!!
I am enjoying the Atticus so much, and if I get lucky - will enjoy the Auteur as well soon :wink:

Hope to see you both in CanJam SoCal :beerchug:

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 101
Entered in the contest. I love the woody characteristics of Mahogany in Guitars. It would be interesting to see how that effects these. It would be a classic choice for me considering the ORIs i had were cherry and sounded very "woody". Brazilian Rosewood would be my close second choice.

Zach made one in mahogany:

10011094.jpeg

I'm also entering this contest, thanks @zach915m for all the work you are doing in this community!

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 101
I'm not very familiar with different types of woods and their availability, so I just looked at the Lawton site and picked the most interesting looking one.

Redwood Burl

Has some crazy pattern going on there. It's kind of metal :metal:

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 101
Very interesting ideas. Once reviewing the list of woods and desired capabilities, I think the Padauk would be an excellent choice for this kind of headphone - hard but porous BUT you are shipping with Teak so you must think a softer wood is better and of course I should defer to the designer.

Therefore I'd be happy with Teak or Lacewood. Thanks for the opportunity!

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 101
Ever wanted a ZMF Headphone made out of the wood of your choice? Now is your chance!​

Win our new open back headphone, the ZMF Auteur in the wood of your choice by entering the:

FAMOUS ZMF AUTEUR WOOD CONTEST!

How do you enter? Just read through the Auteur page here:

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/the-auteur/

Then at the bottom of the page, enter your name, email (for our mailing list), your head-fi name, and the wood you want your custom Auteur made in!

To be eligible to win, you MUST have signed up to be a head-fi member BEFORE the first day of this contest, October, 20th, 2017. The contest will be open until November 3rd at midnight CST USA. Only your first entry will count, if you enter more than once those entries will be disqualified.

We will ship the winner their Auteur when we start shipping pre-orders in January. We will ship anywhere in the world, USA or otherwise via the shipper of the winners choice. If the wood is available widely enough it will become the second "limited run" after our first limited run of African Blackwood.

Why are we doing this contest?

Over the past few years I've gotten a lot of requests for different woods in our various models. In order to satiate that demand, instead of carry numerous wood at once for each model, we will have revolving limited edition runs. Each time a limited batch of wood runs out, we will just move on to the next wood!

For the Eikon and Atticus, the stock wood will be Camphor. Meaning once Cherry and Padauk are sold out, they won't come back unless we do a limited run with them.

For the Auteur the stock wood will be Teak (pictures soon on our website)

How is the winner chosen?

My wife, @BooUrns will pick a number at random and that entry will win. If you qualify to win by picking a real wood (no bamboo please!), and being a head fi member before the contest started, you will be the winner!

I'm really excited for this! Looking forward to seeing your wood choices, and no matter if you win or not, this will help us determine what wood we will use for limited runs in the next year!

What if I don't win!?

Then you can still get a discounted ZMF Auteur in our stock wood Teak, or in our first limited run of African Blackwood by pre-ordering on November 10th at 10AM CST USA. We ship worldwide using Fed-Ex or DHL.

Thanks for the community opportunity to win Auteurs in a chosen wood species! Sorry about bugging you about it on the Auteur forum, Zach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back