The Zishan dsd's corner
Jan 30, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,621 of 3,711
Like this
upload_2019-1-30_18-38-28.jpeg

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,622 of 3,711
I think it would be nice to buy another case, cut the bottom with taller sides and use that with the original case (cut or not) like Z1 and Z2 do, it would make a perfect bigger case :)

Exactly like it is in you photo, but just add that to the back of the original case.
Then cutting the original case is optional, removing the batt can give ~5.6mm extra space. If you need more space, then also cut the back of the original case.

Using plexiglass for the connectors sides could also keep both cases together.
If needed maybe a thicker plexiglass can be used to pass the batt wires without cutting the original case.

EDIT:
I'm not modding my case, I don't need the space.
Regarding the batt, they say that one doesn't have short circuit protection. I really don't like these Chinese batteries.

@buzzbuzz
The original port and inside circuit is designed to charge only 1 batt.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #1,625 of 3,711
Would it be a cleaner and easier mod if you just move the battery outside of the case? The battery space gained allow larger op-amp and cap swap. Then design a rubber/metal cover to go over the (extra thickt) battery and bottom half of the original case. You can/may even use the original charging port for charging.

I have 2 LG V20 phones for my kids. I purchased extra large batteries for them. The battery package replaces the original back cover with a rubber cover that go over the extra large battery and fit over the bottom edges of the phone.

Nice idea, wish I would've thought of that before I spent on these batteries and holder, guess I need to do some searching, see what other options but thanks for the suggestion , seems like it would be cleaner

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,626 of 3,711
Nice idea, wish I would've thought of that before I spent on these batteries and holder, guess I need to do some searching, see what other options but thanks for the suggestion , seems like it would be cleaner

I recently did a op-amp test on the Zishan DSD (posted in Burson v5i review section). That include LME49869NA, AD8066 on SOIC dip adapter, and Burson V5i. The last two were too tall to fit inside the case, so I conducted the test on a naked Zishan DSD. But that slowed things down. Toward the end, I realized that I could put the Zishan back in the case if I moved the battery to outside. So with a lot of ducktapes, I put together this half-in, half-out setup and finished the test.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,627 of 3,711
I've made some more changes here:
Changed the 100uF caps in VREFH/L in the DAC to 1000uF, lowers the bass lower freqs. distortion.
These caps are big size and I'll have to replace them with 680uF for smaller size, DAC datasheet recommends 2200uF here, but that doesn't fit.
I've solder 0,1uF bypass caps on top of the 10uF power caps on sides of the opamps, that further removed the excess sibilance is some songs here.

DAC datasheet recommends 33K resistor in pin 58 to be 0.1% precision, I have no idea what that does, but I'm going to change it to 0.1% like they say.

I've soldered the 2xAD8066 that @Ivan TT recommend, sound is quite good, it's transparent, detailed and they also add extra definition to the bass. I'm still wishing to improve, but I already like this sound.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #1,628 of 3,711
I've made some more changes here:
Changed the 100uF caps in VREFH/L in the DAC to 1000uF, lowers the bass lower freqs. distortion.
These caps are big size and I'll have to replace them with 680uF for smaller size, DAC datasheet recommends 2200uF here, but that doesn't fit.
I've solder 0,1uF bypass caps on top of the 10uF power caps on sides of the opamps, that further removed the excess sibilance is some songs here.

DAC datasheet recommends 333ohm resistor in pin 58 to be 0.1% precision, I have no idea what that does, but I'm going to change it to 0.1% like they say.

I've soldered the 2xAD8066 that @Ivan TT recommend, sound is quite good, it's transparent, detailed and they also add extra definition to the bass. I'm still wishing to improve, but I already like this sound.
What kind of caps did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,629 of 3,711
My search criteria was +- in this order, so some of my selections are not valid now, because some prices don't make sense now:
- availability
- RoHS compliance (Europe laws)
- price
- size
- Voltage
- X7R or better
- 10% or better
- low ESR, etc.
- brand

-> I used 2 of these in DAC VREF, because Ivan recommend 1 of them near the LDO and I had them here to try:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/eca-0jm102bj/panasonic
They are 8mm and I want to use something smaller.

EDIT: Need to find smaller size and capacity to put here, the ones I suggested were also too big.

upload_2019-1-31_0-58-7.jpeg
See here the polarity that the white line marks, it's not the same for all caps:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_types#Polarity_marking

EDIT: I've ordered and installed 4 of these caps:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/t55b227m6r3c0025/vishay
2 in parallel for each side, for a total of 2x220uF = 440uF each side.
Stock value was 100uF each side and the datasheet recommends 2200uf each side, but we can't fit that size here.
dac1.jpg

-> the 10uF around the opamps (maybe you don't need to change these, you can use the stock ones already soldered, but I wanted to make sure the voltage was >=16V, I want to increase the opamps supply voltage and see what it gives to sound):
I was going to order kemet, but someone bought all stock before I could complete the order.
So I got these because they were cheap:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/gcj31cr71c106ka15l/murata-manufacturing
I bought each at 0.1903 eur last week, now they cost 0.71 eur each, so they don't make sense now.

-> the 0.1uF bypass caps (>=16V for me) on top of those 10uF:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/c1206c104j5jactu/kemet-corporation
I got these for 0.1530 eur each last week, now they cost 0,67 eur each, so try to get better price.
I got 1206 case size, so they perfect fit on top of the 10uF, but you can use smaller case size if the price is better.

They go on top of these:
upload_2019-1-31_1-15-58.png

As you can see, what I ordered last week doesn't make sense today, because price and availability changes.

Best is to select type here, then narrow the search criteria until you only have a few units to select:
Ceramic Multilayer:
https://www.arrow.com/en/categories/capacitors/fixed-capacitors/capacitor-ceramic-multilayer
All types:
https://www.arrow.com/en/categories/capacitors/fixed-capacitors

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,630 of 3,711
Replacing the 4 nichicon electrolytic 100uF capacitors between the DAC and the 2 soldered opamps and/or the 2 ELNA 220uF after the socket opamp, with same capacitance, but different model or brand will change the sound color to fit personal taste.

When I try capacitors in the audio path, in my limited tests, the best specifications doesn't mean the best sound or the sound I want. Sometimes I want/need to give some color to the sound, +- warm/cold, +- musical, +- detail (sometimes to hide defects in sound), etc.

So instead of searching for the specifications, I first look for brands and models recommend by others.
So far I only have tried 2 brands Nichicon and Panasonic.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,631 of 3,711
Replacing the 4 nichicon electrolytic 100uF capacitors between the DAC and the 2 soldered opamps and/or the 2 ELNA 220uF after the socket opamp, with same capacitance, but different model or brand will change the sound color to fit personal taste.

When I try capacitors in the audio path, in my limited tests, the best specifications doesn't mean the best sound or the sound I want. Sometimes I want/need to give some color to the sound, +- warm/cold, +- musical, +- detail (sometimes to hide defects in sound), etc.

So instead of searching for the specifications, I first look for brands and models recommend by others.
So far I only have tried 2 brands Nichicon and Panasonic.

My DSD isn't apart right now - can you remind me how large in diameter the series 100uF capacitors are?
I've found some Roederstein audio capacitors (from Germany) on eBay, that are 8.5mm in diameter, and was wondering whether they'd fit. :ksc75smile:

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,632 of 3,711
The stock 100uF nichicon diameter is ~5.12mm, I replaced those for nichicon fine gold with 6.3mm and they fit in selected places, because of other components height.
Maybe 8.5 mm could fit if there were no components in both side of the boards, I didn't tried it, but took this photo with 8mm diameter cap:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-zishan-dsds-corner.826185/page-87#post-14670870

I don't think there's space to fit 4x 8.5mm diameter, because of the other components, but I didn't try it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #1,633 of 3,711
The stock 100uF nichicon diameter is ~5.12mm, I replaced those for nichicon fine gold with 6.3mm and they fit in selected places, because of other components height.
Maybe 8mm will fit if there are no components in both side of the boards, I didn't tried it, but took this photo with 8mm diameter cap:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-zishan-dsds-corner.826185/page-87#post-14670870

I don't think there's space to fit 4x 8.5mm diameter, because of the other components, but I didn't try it.

Thanks!
I think the first thing I'm going to do, in the rehousing of my DSD, is to create an adapter board or cable, allowing the controller board and DAC board to be plugged together back-to-back (possibly with the battery in between) - so that larger capacitors and op-amps will fit in the open, extra space of the new case (below the DAC board).

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #1,635 of 3,711
Maybe 8.5 mm could fit if there were no components in both side of the boards, I didn't tried it, but took this photo with 8mm diameter cap:

Definitely 8mm or more will not fit.
I managed to place the Nichicon FG 6.3mm in the same places of the original ones, just a mm moved here and there, but more than 6.3mm you will not fit anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back