The Zero MOD Thread - 24/192 DAC/H/Amp
Nov 17, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #121 of 180
Hi, yes, I did receive the 200mm extension lead (the "thing" on the side of the HDAM in the picture). Am I supposed to ground the extension lead or the white wire?

Also, does this mean that I received the wrong HDAM?
frown.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #122 of 180
The extension lead is just so that you are able to plug the HDAM from a distance and layed down, instead of directly in the opamp socket, like this: ImageShack - Hosting :: img0089nz2.jpg

The ground wire will have to be connected to a grounded spot, I used one of the motherboard screws, like this: ImageShack - Hosting :: img0092se5.jpg

And yes, you definitely have the wrong version, like I already stated, you have the single version, you need the dual.. make sure you did order the dual, and paid for the dual, if so, it was an Audio-GD mistake that must be corrected, have a talk with them, send them a mail.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #123 of 180
Sigh
frown.gif
I guess I'll have to wait again... Yup, I did order a Dual, highlighted it many times to them in fact, and paid accordingly. Have dropped them an email.

In the meantime, while I await the correct HDAM to be shipped to me, pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does a "grounded" spot refer to? I've also came across terms like "earth leg" or "earth wire", how do I know what these are?

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #124 of 180
"Grounded spot" would describe a point that is connected to ground, in my case I used a screw on the main board because I know the ZERO chassis is connected to ground, you can clearly see that in the IEC inlet, the ground wire (should be a yellow wire with green strips) connects to the chassis.

"earth leg" "earth wire" is pretty much the same, in this case it is referring to the wire that you see coming out of the HDAM.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #128 of 180
The link was missing one ")" it is fixed now, in case you didn't notice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #129 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by vitosu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I have two silly questions. On another forum they suggest getting 3 HDAMs for the Zero. On the Introduction page by Currawong it says "as the ZERO doesn't have enough grunt to power 3 HDAMs." Any chance someone could clear this up for me? How many HDAMs do I get? And assuming getting 3 isn't the worst idea ever, it would be stupid to have say, 2x Moon 1x Sun in one Zero right?

I don't know if this is necessary information, but I will be connecting headphones directly to the Zero.

I'm thinking of removing that advise now. It was based on people's experiences with the bass disappearing when they plugged in 3 HDAMs. I plugged in 3 and had no issues.

Secondly, I don't recall where in the Zero thread, but it was advised AGAINST connecting the ground wire to any of the chassis screws. One of the reasons is that the HDAM becomes quite hot as a result, but the main reason was that it was the WRONG ground point. ccshua is the man to explain what and why, but he discovered that connecting the white earth wire to the RCA ground resulted in a sonic improvement. If it's too much hassle to do this, don't bother, just leave the earth wire not touching anything at all is my advise.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #130 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Secondly, I don't recall where in the Zero thread, but it was advised AGAINST connecting the ground wire to any of the chassis screws. One of the reasons is that the HDAM becomes quite hot as a result, but the main reason was that it was the WRONG ground point. ccshua is the man to explain what and why, but he discovered that connecting the white earth wire to the RCA ground resulted in a sonic improvement. If it's too much hassle to do this, don't bother, just leave the earth wire not touching anything at all is my advise.

RMAA's are quite clear on this actually, when connected to ground (the screw), stereo crosstalk is much improved, and I saw absolutely no increase in temp btw, you can notice this SQ improvement.

Why would you recommend someone not to have it connected like I did when it was quite clear something got improvement, and a measurable improvement which is more than you can say for most tweaks?

BTW I'm not saying the RCA connection won't be better in anyway, didn't test it, but that's no reason to say the other way does not have merit, specially when measurements disprove such notion.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #131 of 180
If the audio ground is isolated from chassis ground in the Zero somehow then I would guess there could be a reason to connect the HDAM ground wire to the RCA ground pad. Otherwise I don't see where it would make any difference where the ground connection is made.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #132 of 180
A few quick questions:

Is this the earth leg of the RCA jack that I am supposed to solder the ground wire of the HDAM to?

3047841514_0e130cf4d4.jpg

I have my HDAM positioned here. Is this a good spot? As you can see, I have a 200mm extension lead, so I can really move it around.

3047007393_94466e62c7.jpg

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #133 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few quick questions:

Is this the earth leg of the RCA jack that I am supposed to solder the ground wire of the HDAM to?

Yes. That's the one.

I know it shouldn't matter where the ground is connected, but it does make a difference. I don't recall why exactly unfortunately.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #134 of 180
Can the Audio-gd CMC jack be used for Coaxial input. Is it the jack is 75 ohm ?

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #135 of 180
No RCA jack is truly 75 ohm as far as I know, I've seen quite a few discussions on this, and even the ones who claim they are (and CMC does not) when measured are not 75 ohm. Stick with BNC 75ohm for coax, and use coax cable for the connection if you want to make sure 75ohm are really their from the PCB up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back