The Zen micro- i want a straight answer
Jun 1, 2005 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

South_Korean

1000+ Head-Fier
I have heard so many problems about this thing its not funny. i just want to know straight out, does the computer fail to recognize the player all the time? does the firmware crash when loading songs? does hard drive fail? does the headphones jack come loose? is the battery life not what the site claims it to be? i really like this little player, and if these problems are faulse now, id be glad to purchase one. thanks guys!

p.s. will it sound good and be able to drive my Senn 212 (not that i would use my seens for them)

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 48
My only complaints with my Zen that I've had since they were first released in the US: the battery life isn't all that great, but I had 2 batteries shipped with mine, and when I plug the Zen into the computer (to a USB hub), I have to unplug then plug back in the hub. But I still love it.

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 48
I've owned a Zen Micro since February. I got used to the touchpad quickly and now prefer it over a physical scroll wheel. With the beta DRM firmware, it works well with Rhapsody To Go and Yahoo Music. I've had no hard drive, firmware, or headphone jack issues. In short, big thumbs up.

I suspect that people with problems are a vocal minority. If you're unlucky enough to be one of them, the one year warranty is nice to have.

Prior to the ZM, I had a Rio Karma (dead hard drive) and a Carbon (another dead hard drive).

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 48
I've had my Zen Micro since early December. I have yet to experience a single problem.

I also have four friends that own Zen Micros, and none of them have experienced any problems either.

There's a good chance that your Micro will be perfect.

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 48
The micro is a great player- if u are llooking for style, size, sound quality, and features- this little guy has it all.

The one complaint (or one of the few) is that its not very durable. it cracks very easily- so u gotta be gentle with it.

ive had to return mine three times but thats cuz of a whole nother deal with the colors and stuff. the headphone jack is so popular on these boards because more people come here to complain and report faults then to say how good their player is- its pretty much what makes up the forum. So hopefully ull get a good one- its a fun player to use!

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 48
where was yours cracked man?

p.s. im guessing the remote comes seperatly right? and how long have you guys gotten for battery life?

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
where was yours cracked man?

how long have you guys gotten for battery life?

I get about 9 hours, but I like to play around with the machine a lot.

I've had no headphone jack problems, I haven't touched the firmware yet, still wait on a decent one to bother replacing the one it came with. I use it all the time, my only problem with it is the back scratches like nothing at all, don't expect it to stay pretty shiny white forever.
Controls are fantastic, the screen is fantastic, and about 10 times nicer than my friend's ipod mini (god that's terrible).

This is my "I've had nothing go wrong with it" zen micro post.

Jun 1, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 48
zen? theres only zen touch, neeon, micro, nomad etc., theres none called just zen.

Jun 1, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
zen? theres only zen touch, neeon, micro, nomad etc., theres none called just zen.

There is the new player just called the CREATIVE ZEN

It's basically a larger version of the Zen Micro and uses a 1.8" hard drive instead of a micro drive. Other than that, everything else is basically the same. The feature set looks identical.

biggrin.gif

prod11519_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

Jun 1, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 48
The Zen is 20Gb, looks uglier, has 11 hrs battery (non-removable!!).

My Zen Micro has been perfect, no problems with connecting it to my computer or synching. I did have the headphone jack problem where I sent it to Creative and they sent me a new one in less than a week (very impressed). The new one seems to have a much stronger headphone jack so it appears they've modified the jack to make it less likely to break. Other than that, my Micro has never frozen, or given me any other problems.

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 48
the zen micro doesnt have a deicated volume button does it? that'll bee problem for me cuz i work a lot and i need something that will work to my needs since i dont have time to pull it out of my pocket, go through a menu to reach the volume setter. if it doesnt, then ill see about the karma.

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 48
If you get the wired remote, you wont have to take it out to change the volume.

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 48
i kno but to me its pointless when u have something almost the size of a remote to have one... i mean, did they do that to make people buy the remote? so i guess there is no dedicated volume buttons. well, so much for this thread lol, but seriously thanks for the help guys.

Jun 1, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 48
I guess they didn't put dedicated volume controls to make the player smaller and to integrate it into the touch pad.

If you're looking at the Karma then also have a look at the Zen Touch, it has dedicated volume control, great sound quality and massive battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back