The Worst Part of my High School Career... or is it?
Dec 22, 2010 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Vikingatheart

500+ Head-Fier
In the state of North Carolina, every public high school student is required to complete a Graduation Project. In short, its an assignment made up of 1. An 8-10 page paper about whatever subject you choose. 2. A speech to be read aloud to a panel of judges. 3. a product (something tangible thats related to your topic.)

I had a sweet idea today. Why not do my project on audiophilia?!?! Well, not the "disorder" itself, but about the culture instead. I was thinking about a compare and contrast paper touching on the subject of iBuds vs HiFi. My plan is to discuss what makes something HiFi, what makes audiophiles spend a grand or so on a pair of headphones (vs a pair of 5 dollar non-name brand earbuds), and to make a headphone amp for my product.

What are your thoughts on this idea? I would be greatly appreciative if any one would drop comments with information on the subject. Also I have no idea what kind of amp I should make. Unfortunately, I wont be able to get any funds for this product from the state or my school, so I would like to keep it under 50 if I can. 

-Viking

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 35
Build a CMoy. Sounds like a PITA but a potentially cool and fun project to do. At least you get to pick your topic...projects are always easier when you get to do them on stuff you actually like.

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 35
The CMoy is a great idea! Build one and delve into the technical aspect - you'll learn a lot. That will impress a lot more than talking about the culture here. Maybe pick up a Bottlehead Crack and build it. Outside of your budget, but something with tubes will absolutely get attention and impress.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 35

Quote:
The CMoy is a great idea! Build one and delve into the technical aspect - you'll learn a lot. That will impress a lot more than talking about the culture here. Maybe pick up a Bottlehead Crack and build it. Outside of your budget, but something with tubes will absolutely get attention and impress.

I agree that building a CMOY and  discussing not only what it is (what a headphone/any amp is) but how it is involved in the process through which we are all able to appreciate recorded/amplified/etc. sounds/music/etc....is a great idea! I also agree that not only will focusing on the mechanical/electrical/physical properties and processes by an extremely interesting/unique/substantial/defined/manageable way in which to approach the assignment...BUT it would also be an opportunity for you to:
1) Acquire a new amp-and explore this hobby more-so
2) Learn or master the skills associated with completing the task (soldering/reading schematics/etc)
3) Bring an interest of yours into the assignment and actually make it a focus (something that seems to make any kind of work that much more enjoyable
4) Gain an whole new of understanding and appreciation for the work behind these machines and this hobby

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 35

Quote:

Not to mention that you'll end up with an absolutely killer amp! The Crack was a favorite at a meet last year (which included Ray's personal B52 and some other very nice amp that I can't remember). 

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 35
Thanks guys! I appreciate all of your thoughts. I REALLY want to tackle something like The Crack, but only if the funds allow it. I have to see between Christmas and January 14th if I can get the money. I also am wondering if its even possible for me to make it. I have never made anything like this by myself before. I don't know  a thing about how amplification really works, or how the inside of an amp is arranged. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 35
According to the Bottlehead site...to build a Crack, you need zero skills other than the have a basic ability to solder, and that is not hard. So it sounds pretty easy. The CMoy seems easy enough too. I have never tried either one so I cannot comment. I do want to build a CMoy at some point to get me feet wet. You should be able to pickup everything for one for $50 or less. The Crack is around $219 but that is a steal from what I read. I just wish the Crack worked with Grados.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
According to the Bottlehead site...to build a Crack, you need zero skills other than the have a basic ability to solder, and that is not hard. So it sounds pretty easy. The CMoy seems easy enough too. I have never tried either one so I cannot comment. I do want to build a CMoy at some point to get me feet wet. You should be able to pickup everything for one for $50 or less. The Crack is around $219 but that is a steal from what I read. I just wish the Crack worked with Grados.

Halt! Freeze! Stop right there! I think The Crack is a no go for me. I only have a pair of SR80i and LOVE them. I'm totally contempt with them for now. I wouldn't want to make an amp that didn't sound good with my beloved cans. I guess the CMoy is the better option for me?

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 35
Bumpity Bumpkins

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 35
The Millet also looks really nice, just don't know if I will get the money in time. Is there a kit for a CMoy anywhere? I am on a bit of a schedule and scavenging for all the bits and pieces might not be the most efficient way.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
The Millet also looks really nice, just don't know if I will get the money in time. Is there a kit for a CMoy anywhere? I am on a bit of a schedule and scavenging for all the bits and pieces might not be the most efficient way.

What's wrong with mouser? Tangent gives a really good list, just order the parts from mouser.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
Quote:

What's wrong with mouser? Tangent gives a really good list, just order the parts from mouser.

Wow. I must be blind. I didn't even realize that there was a list of all the parts with the product numbers right next to them 
tongue_smile.gif
. Perfect! Well I guess I will plan on making a CMoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back