The worst has happened
Apr 3, 2008 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

New Head-Fier
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Last night i was enjoying some music while surfing the internet with my 3-day old Grado SR80's. went to bed around 2:30am only to rise at 8am to take my son to school.

This afternoon while again enjoying my SR80's my wife calls. She asked why did I have the stereo on so loud so late at night. I told her I did no such thing I was listening through my new SR80's, which brings us to the problem that I tried to deny.

The SR80's are just too open, unfortunately I only get to listen late night after work while the rest of the house is sleep. So I'll get more complaints as time goes on even if I close the door to the computer room I'm in.

So I must part with my SR80's and RMA them for my second choice Sennheiser HD280 Pro, I've read they are very sealed with good sound quality. I've even read that they offer comparable sound to the Grado SR80s only they are closed.

Can anyone recommend some other good closed cans around $100

Thanks

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 26
For $100 and closed, it's very hard to beat the Equation RP-21. Unless you're buying used or something.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 26
Personally I would have got rid of the wife, not the headphones
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow... you must be listening to some very very loud music to be able to be heard through a closed room.

Well I do like my music loud, I usually keep the door open, maybe that's the problem. I'll close the door tonight and see what happens tomorrow. Other than that the house is pretty much dark and quiet except for the light coming from the computer room.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 26
I can't believe that your headphones are loud enough to get through a closed door. You must be listening at suicidal levels to achieve that. Are you sure there isn't any other device connected that is producing the sound in question?

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I would have got rid of the wife, not the headphones
tongue.gif

I need a co-signer for all my computer equipment and music cd collection.

that was a joke
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe that your headphones are loud enough to get through a closed door. You must be listening at suicidal levels to achieve that. Are you sure there isn't any other device connected that is producing the sound in question?

You know what I just thought of, I have a an old pair of Altec Lansing 2.0 speakers connected to the sound card, with my grado's going to a headphone hole in the speakers and I control the volume throught the speakers. Do the speakers act as some kimd of amp, I do have to plug them in to an outlet to for them to work.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 26
Wow- exactly the two headphone models I own, and can therefore compare.
smily_headphones1.gif

SR80s are a bit nicer (to my ears) than the HD280s in terms of sound quality for most music, but you can produce a sort-of SR80-like sound by boosting the bass a lot and recessing the midrange a bit in your equalizer, though you'll still be missing the Grado punchyness.

The SR80s I find sound absolutely amazing unequalized - in fact, playing around with EQ settings I kept making the sound worse, so I just turned it off.
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamestony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know what I just thought of, I have a an old pair of Altec Lansing 2.0 speakers connected to the sound card, with my grado's going to a headphone hole in the speakers and I control the volume throught the speakers. Do the speakers act as some kimd of amp, I do have to plug them in to an outlet to for them to work.

Yes. You should plug into the headphone input on the computer to take out the speaker amp.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 26
Wow. To the OP..you probably listen too loud. Your wife should not be able to hear any open can from another room with a door closed, if she can, turn it DOWN.
biggrin.gif

Perhaps she can buy a fan and turn it on or something, or you can listen at lower levels. If you must go with a closed can, at that price the HD25-1, V6, or even an iem like the er4p would be a nice bet. Some also like the k81dj too, but first thing is first..take care of your hearing long term, those are the best pieces of gear you've got.

Good luck with that
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamestony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a co-signer for all my computer equipment and music cd collection.

I like your style

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 26
Don't know about Altecs, but on some of the older Creative powered speakers, when headphones are plugged into the speaker, the speakers still work. I have a Tivoli Audio Model 1 radio at work that does the same thing. Before I realized what was happening I had the whole office rocking to Guns n' Roses. Not he best to happen in a small engineering firm.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 26
ive never owned a grado but even with open senns (595, 600, 650) with my door closed, my roommates could hear my music late at night when everything was really really quiet. the door was probably hollow wood but still, even at a reasonable volume they could hear it from outside my door. i think i listen at a "normal" volume but theres just some songs where you HAVE to crank up the volume. at any rate, i was just trying to defend the OP in case he really wasnt using that high of a volume. just saying that it is possible for open cans to leak enough sound for it to seem really loud.

if on the other hand if you really are listening that loud, turn em down dood
biggrin.gif

and get rid of the wife. gfs, wives, females in general are just trouble and prevent us hardworking males from listening to some toones. i say we send them back to mars!!! rawr. or was it venus? doesnt matter just get them away from here.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive never owned a grado but even with open senns (595, 600, 650) with my door closed, my roommates could hear my music late at night when everything was really really quiet. the door was probably hollow wood but still, even at a reasonable volume they could hear it from outside my door.

Oh boy, that brings back some raunchy memories from my uni days. And it wasn't music that was making the noise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back