The World's Largest Church Organ is in Los Angeles
Oct 26, 2006 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
Who would have thought, the world's largest church organ in LA?
Yes, the First Congregation Church in downtown LA has the world's largest church organ.
I just went to listen to it today and it sounds absolutely amazing. The rich harmonics coming from its many pipes (>20,000 in total) is next to no other organ I have heard.
In fact, they have a free noon recital every Thursday, and a buch of other great concerts: http://www.fccla.org/music.htm
So, music lovers in So-Cal, don't forget to pay your tribute to this absolutely magnificent instrument.

Also, music lovers in Philadelphia, check out the world's largest organ. It is the Wanamaker organ inside the Macy department store: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanamaker_Organ
Yes, the world's largest organ is hidden inside a department store.

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 9
My youngest brother had an awards ceremony/concerto performance there but I missed it because I didn't know at the time about the big organ. I'd definitely try to make it there in the future given a chance.

Oct 27, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
My youngest brother had an awards ceremony/concerto performance there but I missed it because I didn't know at the time about the big organ. I'd definitely try to make it there in the future given a chance.

Wow, is he an organist?

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Wow! Thanks for the link! I will absolutely have to go check that out. I'm finally going to see an organ recital at the Disney Hall on 12/9- am really, really looking forward to it.

And you do know about the Mighty Wurlitzer in El Segundo, don't you? If not,

http://www.otmh.org/

Great place to see an old movie. There's always a short recital beforehand.

Oct 27, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 9
No, he plays violin, cello, and french horn. I think the competition he placed in was for violin that time. But my parents said that they did a demonstration of the organ before the ceremonies and that it was awesome.

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
And you do know about the Mighty Wurlitzer in El Segundo, don't you? If not,

http://www.otmh.org/

Great place to see an old movie. There's always a short recital beforehand.

While the Mighty Wurlitzer is a great organ it would be lucky to make the top 10 largest organs in California.

California has a ridiculous number of large organs. The Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company made quite a few large organs in California.

Some other great organs in California are the Crystal Cathedral's in Garden Grove, the Davies Symphony Hall's in San Francisco, the First Baptist Church's in Bakersfield and Lake Avenue Congregational Church's in Pasadena. I think all of those have over 5,000 pipes each.

Edit: Ferbose, There is a lot of debate over the world largest organ so to set things straight the Wanamaker is the worlds largest working organ. The Atlantic City Convention hall has an organ that is technically bigger but it is not fully functional. By the way the Atlantic City Convention Hall's organ has a 64' pipe!
atlan3a.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Yes, the world's top 3 organs are all in the US.
1. Wanamaker Department Store (Now Macy's)
2. Atlantic City Concention center
3. First Congregation Church LA

I feel that it is only in a church that a great organ will get enough regular use to justify its existence. And it's not really the size or power that matters but the delicate tones and rich harmonics. But to hear beautiful treble tones filling a big church is really a sonic spectacle.

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nKeY bUsiNeSs
By the way the Atlantic City Convention Hall's organ has a 64' pipe!
]

64'?!?! I didn't know they made such tall pipes! Always thought that 32' was the longest...

Oct 27, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 9
My father is a minister and we have a small organ in the church and even a small one is a joy to listen to. While we were in LA we went to hear the organ and it is fantastic, played the Saint Saens piece which is one of my favorite organ pieces. If anyone visits or resides in LA I highly recomend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back