The wonders of frugal living living: Hamburger Helper
May 28, 2006 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Idsynchrono_24

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm making some Cheesy Italian Hamburger Helper right now, I swear I haven't had to make this stuff for years and years
biggrin.gif
So what's everybody's favorite flavor? I think they all somehow taste the same unless you add something else to the usual mix. It'd be great for the denizens of Head Fi to impart some of their wisdom pertaining to "secret hobo spices" and such
tongue.gif

May 28, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 23
What is this cheesy italian hamburger helper you speak of?

As it is said in Fark, thread useless without pics! =p

May 28, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 23
I'm with Team Potatoes Stroganoff.

May 28, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 23
Beef noodle + can o' mushrooms + can o' black olives

May 28, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
What is this cheesy italian hamburger helper you speak of?

As it is said in Fark, thread useless without pics! =p

A thousand apologies ATAT, forgive my egregious technological ineptitude, for the closest thing I have that can render photographs is a Canon AE-1. I am sure that I can have pics up in about a week after dropping the roll off at Costco and scanning them into the computer
biggrin.gif
Methinks I should start a "which digital cam thread" next
tongue.gif

May 28, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 23
man i loved hamburger helper when i was single..unfortunately i usually ate the whole box at one sitting..and got bad heartburn.....alot of sodium too......but i liked to mix it up..hamburger helper one day..tuna helper the next...but you are right..they all basically end up tasting the same....i would add onions to spice it up and hot sauce....

May 28, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 23
I'd still go with ramen, I really dislike most of those 'helpers.

May 28, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 23
Hamburger Helper? That’s down right extravagant. You could put real hamburger in there. Back in my day it was Team Top Ramen- no real food, just salt and msg- you save money embalming the body prior to actual death.

The younger generation is spoiled.

Mitch

May 28, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Hamburger Helper? That’s down right extravagant. You could put real hamburger in there. Back in my day it was Team Top Ramen- no real food, just salt and msg- you save money embalming the body prior to actual death.

Mitch

hahahaaha

May 28, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver

Mitch

Holy God! That's brilliant, best thing I've read all day
biggrin.gif

I've done my share of subsisting on Ramen believe me, the "best" brand ever is Sanyo Ramen, I mean instant noodles made by an electronics manufacturer
eek.gif

Seriously, I'm always in awe of the diversity of topics discussed here at Head-Fi, and of course the hilarious and clever responses. Best forum ever
icon10.gif

May 28, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 23
Hamburger helper is pretty expensive, like a lot of prepared foods. I wouldn't say it qualifies as frugal. It is pretty tasty though. If you want to live frugally, pick up a basic cookbook, one that concentrates on teaching you the basics of making simple dishes (i.e. 4 or less ingredients usually) and how to explore variations on those. I like Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" (despite the bombastic title, it's a good basic introduction to practical cooking). If you *really* want to live frugally, pick up the "More with Less Cookbook", a collection of recipes and cooking techniques from missionaries who work in third-world countries where money is scarce and prepared foods are rarely available.

May 28, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 23
I picked up some fresh tiger shrimp today, half pound for about $3.50. Peeled and deveined them, dipped in a little BBQ sauce and wrapped in bacon and then on the George Foreman grill they went. Side it with some steamed spinach and it was a hell of a meal for probably under $5. More work than a helper but tasty.

May 28, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 23
If you really want to be frugal, Banquet TV dinners are for you. It amazes me that they can sell these things for 80-90 cents and make a profit. I spent a couple of months eating only banquets at work until my stomach could no longer tolerate them. To this day I don't know what those meat patties were made of... :p I've moved up to Marie Calendars/Stoufers, screw hifi!
biggrin.gif

I keep Ramen around, but since it has nothing of worth to your body I only eat it when I'm in a bind. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back