The Wire Headphone Amplifier
May 3, 2011 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

psgarcha92

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
has anybody tried The Wire amplifier?
balanced operation interests me.....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphones/179298-wire-ultra-high-performance-headphone-amplifier-pcbs.html

May 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 102
The only mention I've seen of it here is in the "List of DIY Headphone Amps" thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537398/list-of-diy-headphone-amplifiers) where qusp said he was building one. I read a bit on DIYAudio but haven't heard one.

May 4, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 102
That means nobody built one, right?
i would be building one the next week.
the pictures show XLR ports, thats makes me curious, is that a totally balanced amp?
am also confused because it uses a stereo input jack, as seen in the pics

May 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 102
I've built one and Avro_Arrow is correct, it uses a balanced input and outputs single-ended.  Sound-wise, all I can say is that it has permanently replaced my Gilmore Lite as my desktop amp.

May 5, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 102
How much did the Gilmore Lite cost u, and how much did the wire cost u?

May 5, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 102
The Gilmore Lite was  $300 used, and the kit for "The Wire" was $95 but didn't include a volume control, input/output jacks, chassis, and some of the non-SMD parts.

May 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 102

Quote:

...the pictures show XLR ports, thats makes me curious, is that a totally balanced amp?
am also confused because it uses a stereo input jack...

The documentation is published so all you have to do is to look at the schematic.

Besides that I think it's a good design, well done.

May 10, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 102

Quote:
The Gilmore Lite was  $300 used, and the kit for "The Wire" was $95 but didn't include a volume control, input/output jacks, chassis, and some of the non-SMD parts.

Where did you get the kit? thanks

May 11, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 102
brilliant amp, best sounding SE output headphone amp i have heard. nimble yet brutal. it just goes to show that good design and proper grounding can be almost inseparable from fully balanced operation. i havent heard it with se input though, so i guess its not your normal case. a great thing about it is its so small that given a reasonably covpact power supply its really no problem to drop it into a balanced system for the se output as i'm doing; mounted right next to the output jack. doesnt sound like a chipamp at all, i have no problem with chips, in fact i like them, but in general i'm a discrete fan, but this doesnt sound like a chipamp, because it doesnt really sound at all.

its basically an instrumentation amp with buffered output, using the best performance chips of today. no caps in the signal path, dc coupled input and output. psrr up the wazoo. ticks all the boxes really

May 11, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 102
Using it with an unbalanced source, would that be attainable? Plus, qusp, is there any way u can check how it sounds with Single ended input? Also, would a proper PCB be very necessary if i want to build this? Would poing to point diy method work here?

May 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 102
using it with an unbalanced source? you would be better off finding another amp tbh. and no, absolutely not a good idea wiring this up on perfboard, for starters the bom is 99% high quality surface mount parts, with all the chips not being available in any other form and the amp leverages the use of a ground plane and very compact layout/short traces for a good part of its performance. its such a wideband design that it would be oscillation city and to make it stable you would have to add compensation destroying one of the best things about it ie no caps anywhere in the signal.

in short, you have just wiped out every single one of its best attributes. i actually dont have any unbalanced sources apart from some old portable gear, probably not the best test and i use the sabre's digital volume control, so i dont have a pot to control volume with other sources, i really dont think its a good idea unless it was just a temporary thing until you got a balanced source sorted. even as it is its so wideband, you have to be careful all signal connections need to be very neat and use with a source not having any dc 

May 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 102
like i said, just build another amp if tyhats the choice you have, the performance would be severely effected by running with the input grounded. kinda like star grounding a pair of monoblocks together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back