The Wire Headphone Amplifier
May 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 102
Another "Wire" comes to life:

Figured I should finally build this one and get Owen some feedback before the next release. I was hoping to post a finished amp with case work and all, but, I misjudged the completely massive size of the utterly ridiculous attenuator solution I am employing. Yep, the case I bought is not tall enough, DOH!! 

Oh well, instead it remains a work in progress. In any case, she lives! This is my third build with SMD and I forgot how much a PITA it can be working with components this small.  I am not kidding, this is the densest SMD build I have attempted yet. I would take a different build tactic next time. It is a bit sloppy, but, acceptable. The amp itself worked first time powered up. I had an issue with an unsoldered side of R15 on the power supply that prevented adjustment of the -15 rail, but, that was a quick fix. From there on, it was smooth sailing.

Since I do not have a balanced source (yet), this one is build single-ended with a gain of 2. This worked out well as I really wanted to try out the Khozmo stepped attenuator. Yes, in this situation, it seems completely overkill (and it is), but why not? Life's short. I really like the Khozmo. The additional steps make a big difference.

The sound is very nice. Extremely sensitive. You will have to pay particular attention to layout and casing to control pickup of noise. I had to move a few things around to get things totally quiet. Even then, any flaws with the source are picked up, so, be warned. Proper layout and casing will go along way with this build.

I have to spend some more time with it, but early impressions are quite positive. The highs are clear and extended, the bass extremely deep and very, very much in control. It steps out of the way and lets the source come through nicely. 

BTW, in this last pic, the amp is on top of my State of Florida Drivers License. Yes, it is THAT small!!

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 102
jdkJake, that looks quite a nice build...

He's doing a 50 of each type GB at the moment [possibly sold out], but there are 3 versions of the headphone amp: balanced - balanced, balanced - se and se - se. All as a pcb only or as a kit.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #20 of 102
yeah it seems just after my post yesterday saying it was open again it was closed. Pretty sure hes got more pcbs going by his earlier posts and the numbers on the wiki, but probably he just wanted to start winding it up so he can get back to his life designing high end COMMERCIAL audio products

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 102
measurements of the SE-SE version over at DIYA....

hahaha they are pretty absurd

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #22 of 102
I'm on list
biggrin.gif

I'll build Balanced amp, can't wait to get "The wire"

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #23 of 102
hey Jake, just an idea mate, if you havent bought another case yet; how about since the attenuator, ridiculously large as it is; is something of an architectural masterpiece, you cut out an area in the roof of the chassis to accommodate it and make it a sort of feature? it could actually look quite cool.

just a thought

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #24 of 102

Quote:
hey Jake, just an idea mate, if you havent bought another case yet; how about since the attenuator, ridiculously large as it is; is something of an architectural masterpiece, you cut out an area in the roof of the chassis to accommodate it and make it a sort of feature? it could actually look quite cool.

just a thought

Interesting idea.

I am currently using a different attenuator and case solution for the amp shown above. I am not in love with either (case or attenuator), so, perhaps going in that direction should be seriously considered.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #26 of 102

Quote:

Interesting idea.

I am currently using a different attenuator and case solution for the amp shown above. I am not in love with either (case or attenuator), so, perhaps going in that direction should be seriously considered.

Thanks for the suggestion.

no problem, it just struck me, because they are pretty seriously sexy attenuators and given the CNC alloy look it would be pretty easy to do that without making it look out of place. youde probably want to try and bevel the cutout on the inside so it sits reasonably flush. its actually more of a shame to hide it away.

Quote:
Cool idea. Those khozmo smd attenuators really look a lot like rk50s, it would be neat to showcase it.

indeed

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #30 of 102
I have built and used my bal-bal amp for a few weeks now.  It is definitely true to its name - just like a piece of wire, utterly transparent.

Some pictures:
https://plus.google.com/photos/100195596840707097796/albums/5691975215218591265

Users who are viewing this thread

Back