The warmest, bassiest SS amps (rockhopper M^3?)
Aug 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #16 of 73
I'm happy with my RSA HR-2. It has kind of a dark, warm sound. Much more so than my Meier. It drives my HD600s with plenty of authority. Provided plenty of bass punch last night listening to Miles live at Montreux and then Les Claypool doing PF's Animals.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #18 of 73
From my experience, the Canamp won't turn the hd650's into bass monsters, far from it. What you get is a very tight controlled and full bodied sound(I hate to use a wine term here but it really feels like the amp just rounds out the sound). It works well with the sennheiser veil and actually removes it, and when I compared it to a Woo6 with a sophia princess (friend's set up) the difference was that the canamp was better in terms of highs, while the woo 6 had a much warmer lower end (great with acoustic stuff).

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm happy with my RSA HR-2. It has kind of a dark, warm sound. Much more so than my Meier. It drives my HD600s with plenty of authority. Provided plenty of bass punch last night listening to Miles live at Montreux and then Les Claypool doing PF's Animals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HR-2.. Very warm & lush..

My impression of the HR-2 wasn't very good as I thought it sounded bright, sibilant, thin, and lifeless even though bass was tight and articulate. Perhaps the HR-2 just doesn't pair well with either W5000 and K701. This impression is based on comparison of the HR2, SP Extreme, and Audio Gd Phoenix.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impression of the HR-2 wasn't very good as I thought it sounded bright, sibilant, thin, and lifeless even though bass was tight and articulate. Perhaps the HR-2 just doesn't pair well with either W5000 and K701. This impression is based on comparison of the HR2, SP Extreme, and Audio Gd Phoenix.

I share your experience - maybe not so much the "lifeless" part, but otherwise spot-on. Had a new HR-2 in 2004/05, and out of all the amps I've owned & heard, that one landed pretty squarely OPPOSITE the warm/lush/dark side of the spectrum. It was quite a surprise, since then too most had tagged the HR2 as "warm" for reasons I'll never understand. Of course the consensus also stated the HR2 would sound VERY similar to the SR71, and that at least I found to be true. I had bought it coming from the Audio Valve RKV Mk II - now THAT amp was among the warmest I've ever heard. Talk about one extreme to the other! No wonder the HR2 seemed such a refreshing change, for a time...

Of course in the long run, I'd prefer the RKV, though I consider them about equally unbalanced.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #23 of 73
i was going to recommend the M3 too, but plonter sez no to a DIY amp.

i didn't install a bass boost option in my M3, but punchy, big, and solid...yes.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from my experience, two meet your price and SQ requirements:

M^3 - nice full bodied sound. great accentuateded bass

C-2C - very bassy IMO. complements the K702's "flat" bass.

where can I get a M^3 and how much does it cost? How is the bass boost?
is it like deep and tight bass or a kind of muddy midbass? does it have levels or is it just on or off?

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #25 of 73
Try LISA III, not the best in pricing, but in my experience, it meets most of your requirement particular those regard the bass performance.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can I get a M^3 and how much does it cost? How is the bass boost?
is it like deep and tight bass or a kind of muddy midbass? does it have levels or is it just on or off?

The M³ Stereo Headphone Amplifier

builders are listed here as well.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #27 of 73
I am using the Sugden Headmaster and it is a fine SS amp. You would have to get it used to meet your price point, as I did. You may be able to demo it if there is a Sugden dealer in Israel. I bought it blind and have not regretted it. It has no sibilance and the bass is natural.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the Sugden Headmaster and it is a fine SS amp. You would have to get it used to meet your price point, as I did. You may be able to demo it if there is a Sugden dealer in Israel. I bought it blind and have not regretted it. It has no sibilance and the bass is natural.

I want more than just "natural"..I want it to be bass amphesized. like a tube amp but with all the dynamics and punch of a SS amp.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow.. Maybe bad synergy.. I used my SA5000/650/240 sextett/880/340 all sounded more warm, sweet, & lush. My main complaint was the overall SQ.. For 875, I expected more.. My GP headamp pro sounds more 'high end' & was only 550.. But that amp is very neutral, transparent, & as of 10hrs, bright..

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want more than just "natural"..I want it to be bass amphesized. like a tube amp but with all the dynamics and punch of a SS amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...te-amp-420698/

This and other reviews compare this amp to tube amps. I can not comment because I am yet to hear a tube amp, but it was one of the reasons I went with the FET-A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back