The Vintage Dac & CD Player List/Review Thread
Apr 29, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #106 of 171
I guess I'm part of the cool Parasound club now. 
cool.gif

Just a little question, how do you guys play 24/96 recordings through the PMD100? Do you just downsample it via software? 

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #107 of 171
Have you ried just playing it straight through? Most chips will pass 24/96 as long as it's pcm but truncate it down to the highest they can handle, usually 18/48.

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #109 of 171
It usually worked for me but then again I wasn't using a pc as source. I used a dvd player when watching movies and set output to pcm and it worked on all dacs I tried except for one.

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #110 of 171
My Parasound wont play 24/96 most definitely -- the lights on the front start flickering and no sound comes through. I'll try again via optical though, but I doubt that'll work. I can easily down-sample via the players I use.

Apr 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #111 of 171
Do you guys notice any difference in the balanced vs. single-ended output from the parasound 1600HD? The balanced out seems to be clearer sounding on my speaker system, but it's hard to say because I have to volume match by ear.

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #112 of 171

Quote:
Do you guys notice any difference in the balanced vs. single-ended output from the parasound 1600HD? The balanced out seems to be clearer sounding on my speaker system, but it's hard to say because I have to volume match by ear.

If the Parasound is like the A-GD DACs, you need to run it balanced to use all (4?) of the DAC chips. My EAD is only quasi-balanced and only has two PCM63s, so there shouldn't be any sonic advantage to the balanced outputs.

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #114 of 171
The SE outputs probably go through a phase-splitter (OPAMP).

May 1, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #116 of 171

Quote:
Have you ried just playing it straight through? Most chips will pass 24/96 as long as it's pcm but truncate it down to the highest they can handle, usually 18/48.

No sound will come through and I got the same symptoms as Currawong. The sample rate indicator also seems to be stuck at 44.1kHz if I connect it to the PC even if I use 48k material. No such problem if I connect it to a CDP though. 

Quote:
Yes I resample them to 48 KHz via software otherwise it does not work. It is annoying that I always have to turn the resampling on and off manually in foobar as of course I don't want that for 44.1 KHz material (maybe there is an automatic solution for that and I just haven't found it).

If you use Foobar in Windows, you can try grabbing the SoX resampler. I have no idea about sonics improvement compared to the default Foobar one but SoX allows you to set exclusions so you can choose which bit rate value it bypasses. 

Quirks aside, this is one heck of a DAC and I would say that it's incredibly natural, clear and dynamic. At one point I was debating between an Audio-gd or a Rega DAC but finally went with the Parasound 1100HD. It's a bit of a gamble but I'm glad that I made that choice. 

May 2, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #117 of 171

Quote:
No sound will come through and I got the same symptoms as Currawong. The sample rate indicator also seems to be stuck at 44.1kHz if I connect it to the PC even if I use 48k material. No such problem if I connect it to a CDP though. 

That's interesting. Are you sure your digital output is set to pcm and not bit stream?

May 2, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #118 of 171
I have no idea but I'm using Foobar and set the output to use WASAPI. I'm thinking it could be because of my USB-to-S/PDIF converter which is a Musiland unit but unfortunately I have no other converters to test with. I wonder if Currawong is facing the same issue. 

May 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #119 of 171

Quote:
I have no idea but I'm using Foobar and set the output to use WASAPI. I'm thinking it could be because of my USB-to-S/PDIF converter which is a Musiland unit but unfortunately I have no other converters to test with. I wonder if Currawong is facing the same issue. 

It could be something to do with the usb to spdif converter. Have you tried bypassing that and just going spdif from pc to dac?

Edit: After looking into it, I don't think the Musiland is the problem. But it wouldn't hurt if you could bypass it so that would narrow down the problem.

May 6, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #120 of 171
i pulled the trigger on a DSP 9000 III, I couldn't resist :palm:
as soon as i get it, it'll be comparison time b/w that and the SFD-2 III. i feel like a dac shootout would be in order

Users who are viewing this thread

Back