The Very Best of Latin Jazz
Dec 22, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

I believe what Tito Puente told me in an interview, where he bassically said that the best classificacion possible for his type of music is "Latin Jazz", albeit he has played many different styles. For those of you who can read Spanish, here's the link (I'll try and work a translation as soon as I have time), go after "Jazz y Salsa de Tomate":

Entrevista

Dec 22, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #18 of 40
Wow, they considered also jazz: merengue, songo, son, mambo, and cha cha cha. Sorry, I do to agree too much with that classification, but if they say that, is OK, in Cuba, at least, I can assure you, that this not considered as such. But in music everyhting is posible, you could mix whatever you want, and at the end, you are palying jazz....

By the way Onix, this was you? The one who wrote that article?

Dec 22, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Wow, they considered also jazz: merengue, songo, son, mambo, and cha cha cha. Sorry, I do to agree too much with that classification, but if they say that, is OK, in Cuba, at least, I can assure you, that this not considered as such. But in music everyhting is posible, you could mix whatever you want, and at the end, you are palying jazz....

By the way Onix, this was you? The one who wrote that article?

Well, good Jazz always mixes a lot of things, but Latin Jazz keeps the elaborated arrangements of traditional jazz while mixing them with latin music of all sorts. And yes, the interview is mine. It was a long time ago I am affraid. I even scored Tito Puente´s autograph
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Well, good Jazz always mixes a lot of things, but Latin Jazz keeps the elaborated arrangements of traditional jazz while mixing them with latin music of all sorts. And yes, the interview is mine. It was a long time ago I am affraid. I even scored Tito Puente´s autograph
biggrin.gif

Tito is a very peculiar case, he in fact had played a lot of genres of music, including jazz, I agree with you, and IMO to be considered as jazz, the arrangements of jazz should stand, mixing is OK, but what kind of mixing you find in merengue or salsa, or cha cha cha, or son, this is simply out of discussion, I can't find any, simply I do not like any of those genres of music, even when I grow up on them, and OTOH, I like jazz and latin/jazz, while it keep the basic elements of jazz, that was why I jump while salsa was categorized as jazz....

Dec 22, 2003 at 7:44 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Tito is a very peculiar case, he in fact had played a lot of genres of music, including jazz, I agree with you, and IMO to be considered as jazz, the arrangements of jazz should stand, mixing is OK, but what kind of mixing you find in merengue or salsa, or cha cha cha, or son, this is simply out of discussion, I can't find any, simply I do not like any of those genres of music, even when I grow up on them, and OTOH, I like jazz and latin/jazz, while it keep the basic elements of jazz, that was why I jump while salsa was categorized as jazz....

I feel the same about most styles of Latin music, like huaracha, cumbia or whatever. They tend to be very simplistic and repetitive. In fact, the only salsa artist I can say I like is Ruben Blades, but I think the reason is that he leans more to the World Music or Latin Jazz sound. Most people who's around when I am listening to Eddie Palmieri, Tito or whatever, thinks I am listening to salsa. But they soon realize the music is too complicated for them and quicly move away. That makes me think that popular Latin music catters to the lowest cultural denominator, the one who likes it simple, just for jumping around and not listening. Elvis Crespo for example, the guy can't even sing for crying out loud! Cha-cha-chá, mambo and all the other styles are just like that: Simple. Bam-bam-bambambam, and then repeat ad nauseam. Latin Jazz, if I should venture a definition of sorts, is experimental, progressive and based on traditional jazz, while sucking influences of different styles and using a progressive rythm base, like jazz. The idea is something similar to jazz fussion, with the Rock elements substituted by Latin influences. What do you think?

Anyway, check a guy named Gonzalo Rubalcava. Most experimenting stuff, with a lot of vibes also. Technical, but fiery.

Dec 22, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #22 of 40
Nice interview Carlos. It's nice to be able to read it for myself. I like how he said he would be the first Latino to play on the moon. They didn't believe him 5 years ago, but now they do. Good stuff.

Also, thanks for the info on the jazz CDs. I might have to pick them up when I return next year.

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #23 of 40
Dec 25, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Anyway, check a guy named Gonzalo Rubalcava. Most experimenting stuff, with a lot of vibes also. Technical, but fiery.

Is Rubalcaba, with "b" this guy is a very good pianist, this is one of my "compatriotas", Chucho Valdes is another very good one, Emiliano Salvador, Paquito, there is an small list of very good Cuban players right now, I'm waiitng for a CD of one new sax player, Fernando Acosta I think is the name, as soon as I receive it, if youl ike I will send you a copy, he is doing some good stuff.....

BTW do you have heard from; La Nueva Trova movement, nothing to do with jazz, but the lyrics are pretty good, if you like them, let me know, my brother has some stuff from them....

Dec 26, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

La Nueva Trova movement, nothing to do with jazz, but the lyrics are pretty good, if you like them, let me know, my brother has some stuff from them....

I don't particularly like the Nueva Trova, but my wife is fond of Pablo Milanés, Silvio Rodríguez and Amaury Pérez. But, there's a duo I like a lot called Mexicanto. They mix Trova with acoustic rock and have great lyrics. They no longer exist but their material is still available and one of his members, David Filio, is still recording. I highly recomend all their albums.

Dec 26, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #28 of 40
If you want I can send you copies of all the Silvio albums, my brother has all of them, if you like for your wife....

Dec 26, 2003 at 8:01 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

If you want I can send you copies of all the Silvio albums, my brother has all of them, if you like for your wife....

Oh! Thats so sweet from you! Perhaps I can send you some Mexicanto also. What do you think?

Dec 26, 2003 at 2:20 PM Post #30 of 40
Just PM your address....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back