The Very Best of Latin Jazz
Oct 9, 2001 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
This is a double CD compilation of Latin Jazz (do not confuse with salsa, please) classics and new songs. It features classics like Aguas de Marco, Cantaloupe Island, and many others, with giants like Tito Puente, Mongo Santamarìa, Antonio Carlos Jobim and others. I actually like the second CD more than the first. The sound quality of the whole thing is great, with excelent stereo separation and details. Go get it if you wan to try something cachondo and sensual for a change. It's guaranted to increase the world population by a tenfold. Take my word for it.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2001 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 40
Onix

Sounds like something I'll have to pick up. I love Latin jazz. I have a bunch of Arturo Sandoval.

Oct 10, 2001 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 40
Very cool - thanx for the rec.

BTW - is Gato Barbieri, performing, say, Milonga Triste, considered "Latin Jazz"?

Oct 10, 2001 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 40
Yes Jon, go get it. You will love it. And Coolvij, "Milonga Triste" is a very good example of Latin Jazz, as is most of Gato Barbieri's work. Latin Jazz is more a definition of style than geographical origin, so you could pretty well find good examples of it in places like Japan or Sweden, for instance.

And chicks love Latin Jazz, just try "Last Tango in Paris", by Gato Barbieri, one of this days (when you are 18 y.o., of course
wink.gif
) and you'll see.

Oct 11, 2001 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Onix

Sounds like something I'll have to pick up. I love Latin jazz. I have a bunch of Arturo Sandoval.

Wow ... I would have never guessed. If you wanna hear Arturo at his best grab some recordings when he was playing with Irakere. I actually have some bootleg tapes of him playing with them back in Cuba ... they are great! He was young and out of control back then (Pre-Dizzy era) ... there is no better Latin trumpeter then he was in his early years.

I HIGHLY recommend staying away from recordings where he plays the standards ... like his I Remember Clifford Album ... while he might have been remembering something ... it certainly was NOT Clifford
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, stay away from any of his attempts to play classical music. If anyone knows something about classical trumpet ... you should know that the Hummel and Haydn were NOT meant to played with a B-flat trumpet

Oct 12, 2001 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 40
Haydn was MEANT to be played on the heavenly b-flat tenor sax
tongue.gif

Onix: LOL! I will.............for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Bob
you should know that the Hummel and Haydn were NOT meant to played with a B-flat trumpet

Kind of OT, have you heard Wynton Marsalis play the Hummel Concerto? Just lovely....and on an E-flat horn.

Oct 12, 2001 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

Kind of OT, have you heard Wynton Marsalis play the Hummel Concerto? Just lovely....and on an E-flat horn.

I totally agree with you!
biggrin.gif
He is truely one of the best muscians of our time ... he has done so much in terms of classical as well as jazz.

You should check out his Carnaval CD if you have not had the chance to hear it.

Do you ever listen to brass chamber music by chance?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 40
Suggestion: If you want to enjoy Arturo Sandoval just buy one album. Otherwise you run the risk of realizing that he is a robot. Seriously this guy is totally devoid of originality and creativity. He's just a technician, granted a freakishly good one.

Go with some Poncho Sanchez if you want to hear some good latin jazz!

Dec 20, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #12 of 40
Almost any Cuban stuff with the Diz will be great.

Getz and Jobim

And there are a couple of cuts on the Chick Corea/ Stan Getz sessions that are ridiculously good.

Dec 22, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing.

Do you mean this one?
IMP465302.JPG

There also seems to be a volume 2.

B00000JCXU.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sorry Bootman. I did not see this post before. I can't see the first picture, but if its the same cover as the second one, only in white, then it is the one.

Also, you all should get some Astor Piazzolla, especialy live recordings like "Milonga del Angel." They will rock your world. Some old Astrud Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim are also recommended.

Dec 22, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 40
Have you ever tried Paquito D'Rivera, I prefer it to Sandoval, IMO once Paquito left Irakere I have nothing to hear there, I much agree with tbutterf here, that Sandoval is a technician mainly...

About the Irakere stuff, you mean the jazz part, right? They have a pretty ridiculous bad attempts of salsa in Cuba, and pretty ridiculous LP playing really very unpleasant stuff there, of course what we here from Irakere was not, and is not that stuff.......Just find out and listen "Bacalao con Pan" to see what I'm talking about....pretty ridiculous..... BTW salsa is not jazz, not at all, latin jazz in one thing and salsa is another, completelly different, who said that???

Dec 22, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Have you ever tried Paquito D'Rivera, I prefer it to Sandoval, IMO once Paquito left Irakere I have nothing to hear there, I much agree with tbutterf here, that Sandoval is a technician mainly...

About the Irakere stuff, you mean the jazz part, right? They have a pretty ridiculous bad attempts of salsa in Cuba, and pretty ridiculous LP playing really very unpleasant stuff there, of course what we here from Irakere was not, and is not that stuff.......Just find out and listen "Bacalao con Pan" to see what I'm talking about....pretty ridiculous..... BTW salsa is not jazz, not at all, latin jazz in one thing and salsa is another, completelly different, who said that???

Hola Sov. I have "Havana Café" and another album by Paquito. I like them very much. I have to disagree about Sandoval. I have the "Clifford" album and "Hot House" and like them also. I haven't heard Irakere, but I'll grave an album as soon as I see it.

Have you guys heard Eddie Palmieri? Get "Vortex", it's one of the best and most progressive albums. Also, there's a very experimental guy from Cuba whose name scapes me now. But a friend gave me his "Supernova" album and the thing just rocks. As soon as I have time I'll give you this guys name, okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back