The Very Best of Latin Jazz
Dec 26, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Latin Jazz is more a definition of style than geographical origin, so you could pretty well find good examples of it in places like Japan or Sweden, for instance.

I´ll second that, being from Sweden
tongue.gif

Here is my favourite latin jazz record:
David Sánchez-Obsesión
He is from Puerto Rico and the record contains music from Cuba, Puerto Rico and Brazil. I like it a lot. For me living in Sweden it represent warm summer.

Dec 26, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders K.
I´ll second that, being from Sweden
tongue.gif

Here is my favourite latin jazz record:
David Sánchez-Obsesión
He is from Puerto Rico and the record contains music from Cuba, Puerto Rico and Brazil. I like it a lot. For me living in Sweden it represent warm summer.

Yep, but non of them, are from Japan or Sweeden, you could find records on Greenland if you like, but that doesn't mean the the latin jazz was originated there, nor is best played there, of course not....

Dec 26, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Yep, but non of them, are from Japan or Sweeden, you could find records on Greenland if you like, but that doesn't mean the the latin jazz was originated there, nor is best played there, of course not....

The issue was not where you could find records but that Latin Jazz is more a definition of style than geographical origin.

Do you get in now?

Dec 26, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

The issue was not where you could find records but that Latin Jazz is more a definition of style than geographical origin.

Do you get in now?

Agree, it is a definition of a musical genre of course, but it HAS ALSO A GEOGRAPHICAL ORIGIN, OF COURSE IT HAS, nobody outside the Latin America like and play Latin Music, and nobody than our musicians knows better how to play it, it was originated there, and developed there, and is best played there, now, you can play it and find it wherever you want, of course......we ahve thousands of inmigrants.....

Dec 26, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

nobody outside the Latin America like and play Latin Music, and nobody than our musicians knows better how to play it, it was originated there, and developed there, and is best played there

Not true!

Samba and Bossa Nova are known and played world-wide.

What if I claimed Classical music to be best played in Europe? That our musicians knows better how to play it, it was originated here. That would be just as stupid as what you suggest.

What is your problem?

Dec 26, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Not true!

What if I claimed Classical music to be best played in Europe? That our musicians knows better how to play it, it was originated here. That would be just as stupid as what you suggest.

What is your problem?

Yeah right, and better than in Brazil....Where a 10 year old kid play it on the streets on a box of shoes, and a matches box on the other hand, like a professional, com'on, guy, wake up!!!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
Nobody play better Bossa Nova and Samba that the Brazilain musicians sorry to strongly disagree....

And maybe is true that the best classical orchestras are the European ones, I'm not familiar with classical music at all, but the Europeans at least are among the best, and is not just for funny....or snob

Dec 26, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Nobody play better Bossa Nova and Samba that the Brazilain musicians sorry to strongly disagree....

Might be true in most cases but I would not make it an universal truth. It could also be a matter of taste
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
This is a double CD compilation of Latin Jazz (do not confuse with salsa, please) classics and new songs. It features classics like Aguas de Marco, Cantaloupe Island, and many others, with giants like Tito Puente, Mongo Santamarìa, Antonio Carlos Jobim and others. I actually like the second CD more than the first. The sound quality of the whole thing is great, with excelent stereo separation and details. Go get it if you wan to try something cachondo and sensual for a change. It's guaranted to increase the world population by a tenfold. Take my word for it.
evil_smiley.gif

I second this recommendation, although this is not usually what I listen to, this is a good complitation.

Dec 26, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 40
just to add fuel to the fire:

"Fragments of a Dream" --> Inti-Illimani & John Williams & Paco Pena

whether it's Latin (is Chile??), or it's Jazz (it's certainly indigenous) it's a beautiful cd

Dec 27, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Not true!

What is your problem?

I don't know what his problem is, there is a big difference between facts and opinions.
biggrin.gif

Latinos/Hispanic countries and islands had many immigrants from more than just Spain and Portugal. Other Latin European countries like France, Italy and Corsica had many immigrants to the new world as well as other countries like Germany and Ireland. Not to mention all the Chinese and Lebanese immigrants. Also of course the Natives and African slaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back