the US govt might rebate 800/1600
Jan 19, 2008 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 135

Headphoneus Supremus
looks like the goverment is trying to juice the economy and single taxpayers will get 800 dollars and families 1600. what are you going to do with yours?
since i have a family and might be getting 1600...i am thinking i'll just stuff it into my kids 529 plan...although i am not sure if that is the intended effect..we are supposed to shop and blow it to stimulate the economy..so i guess it is a smith and wesson .357 for $799 and $800 for a 26inch lcd above the jacuzzi.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 135
I think they should refund any and all money spent on the Mitchell (steriod) hearings.

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 135
Send it back to pay down the damned national debt, or buy proper protective equipment for our soldiers, or properly care for our injured vets.

--Chris

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they should refund any and all money spent on the Mitchell (steriod) hearings.

No way! That was the most important thing congress has done this century!

/sarcasm

The worst part is, these 'baseball loving' congressmen don't even know anything about baseball. The 1919 Chicago Blackhawks fixed the world series? What?

I also read somewhere, that if Americans could do without tax refunds for two years, we could pay off all of our debts. Granted, that was about 4 or 5 years ago that I heard that. That might not be the case now.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like the goverment is trying to juice the economy and single taxpayers will get 800 dollars and families 1600. what are you going to do with yours?

i don't keep up with this stuff... i'm assuming it's separate from the normal refund... if it happens and an extra $800 is handed to me... i dunno... new camera and some more rifles sounds good

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send it back to pay down the damned national debt, or buy proper protective equipment for our soldiers, or properly care for our injured vets.

--Chris

Agreed

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 135
“Send it back to pay down the damned national debt”

I don’t think it works that way:
I believe when the government takes money in it generates no revenue. When people get money like this proposed $800 rebate it trades hands at least 3 times and is taxed accordingly 3 times so it generates revenue for the government.

To pay down the National Debt lower taxes to encourage investment and capitalism will work.

Mitch

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 135
Who will pay for this? We will next year after they raise taxes and our children and theirs and theirs unless the dollar simply collapses which it just might if we keep spending money we don't have.

Our politicians can't tell us what we children (us) need to hear (that we are broke and need to save) for fear of losing their offices. They would be kicked out of office if they told us the truth. Any collapse will not be the fault of politicians but they would get the blame. The blame sits squarely on all the children's (us) shoulders who could not discipline themselves. It has been said that once the electorate learns that they can vote themselves monies out of the State's treasury that the State would soon fall. It has been a long time coming since we were so wealthy at the end of WWII but we now don't have that wealth today. We may see this happen in our life-times.

Pensions could be cut to a tenth of what they are today and everything else would just go away cause few would have money to purchase goods and services.

Don't think it can't happen either...

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe when the government takes money in it generates no revenue. When people get money like this proposed $800 rebate it trades hands at least 3 times and is taxed accordingly 3 times so it generates revenue for the government.

To pay down the National Debt lower taxes to encourage investment and capitalism will work.

I totally agree. Except that it doesn't work so well when you continue to outspend your revenue and a bulk of your revenue goes toward paying the interest on your debt, as every recent head-fi college graduate quickly learns!
smily_headphones1.gif

--Chris

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
“Send it back to pay down the damned national debt”

Mitch

Exactly, but it seems fewer and fewer "leaders" subscribe to this mentality. They prefer control to prosperity.

Edit- they also have to cut spending.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

--Chris

X2 but reverse the order above:
1)- Vets & Soldiers
2)- National Debt

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since i have a family and might be getting 1600...i am thinking i'll just stuff it into my kids 529 plan...although i am not sure if that is the intended effect..we are supposed to shop and blow it to stimulate the economy..so i guess it is a smith and wesson .357 for $799 and $800 for a 26inch lcd above the jacuzzi.

I've been hearing and reading that 300/600 may be more likely. Marylanders just got hit with a pretty serious tax hike, so I don't mind a little relief when I'll probably be losing much more than that next year.

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 but reverse the order above:
1)- Vets & Soldiers
2)- National Debt

X3.
I don't understand why they're doing this anyway.
As I recall it didn't help the economy last time they did it, and it cost a lot of money just to process the rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back