The updated Meelectronics M9s: a short pictorial
Jan 11, 2010 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
I've received a number of PMs lately asking when the new version of the Meelectronics M9, which I've probably mentioned far too often in recommendation threads, will be available. Well, they went up on the website last week and now they are here in my hands. Sound-wise they are extremely similar to the (excellent) old Ai-M9s so this is just a short pictorial addressing the new build/packaging.

Without further ado here, they are:

The new black and silver M9s:
meelectronicsm9newpacka.jpg

The new packaging is a clear plastic box with a plastic insert. One of each size of single-flange tips is displayed and the earphones are initially outfitted with biflanges. I remember some people expressing dissatisfaction with old cardboard packaging (shown below) so this may be an improvement.

Old packaging on the left:
meelectronicsm9newoldpa.jpg

Accessories are the same as on the old version - 3 sets of single-flange tips, bi-flanges, cord wrap, airline adapter, shirt clip, and the excellent clamshell hardcase. Just as impressive for $20 as they were before.

meelectronicsm9newacces.jpg

The most important difference is the build quality, which features proper strain reliefs and the same (excellent) cabling as the newer M2/M6/M11/R1 models. The silver version has the same black-and-silver striped cabling as the M2, clear M6, and silver M11. The black version shares the darker monotone silver cabling with the black M6, black M11, and R1. The 3.5mm plug is the same 45-degree hockey-stick one as is found on the M11 and is a huge improvement from the old one, which looked like it was made entirely of heatshrink. The housings are a tiny bit different as well, boasting a slightly longer tube that makes it easier to wear the M9 over-the-ear. Microphonics are now completely non-existent when the earphones are worn cable-up and very, very low when worn cable-down.

Close-up of the silver M9:
meelectronicsm9newupclo.jpg

Close-up of the black M9:
meelectronicsm9newblack.jpg

I'm personally very impressed with the update - the build quality was probably my only gripe with the old Ai-M9 for the asking price. With all of the improvements the M9s become my most highly recommended sub-$30 earphone for the moment as I expect far fewer issues with the new build.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 12
yeah, that cardboard box was sucky. Blister one looks much better since you can see the whole product and both earpieces!

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Nice! Packaging looks good. I'm really diggin' the silver. I had the cable with the M11 and it is a good one. Is it just the photo or is the housing a bit longer also?

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the photos, joker. They look beautiful. I have the older gen M9, and I think they're absolutely fantastic for the money. These should be no different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just the photo or is the housing a bit longer also?

Yea, joker mentioned in his post that the housings are slightly longer:

Quote:

The housings are a tiny bit different as well, boasting a slightly longer tube that makes it easier to wear the M9 over-the-ear.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 12
That silver's pretty stunning, easily one of the best-looking canalphones at its price. I'm also glad they kept the excellent case. Here's hoping that Meelec will add the case to their other products (and bring it back to the M6
biggrin.gif
).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! Packaging looks good. I'm really diggin' the silver. I had the cable with the M11 and it is a good one. Is it just the photo or is the housing a bit longer also?

I've noticed that too. It almost looks as long as Fischer Audio's FA999.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 12
Good mini review. Guess now you just have to update the multi-IEM thread once again?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 12
Im looking to order some M9's ,Ive been listening to ne-7m, happy with them, just the highs arent quite as crisp as I want. I recentley recieved a fxc50, I really like the high and lows on them. It just neeeds work on the mids with maby a little bass. h

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks, ljokerl
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm with you, the new cable will be a great improvement, not because the old cable was bad (I think just the opposite: it is a great cable for the price), but because the new one is FANTASTIC. It looks extremely durable, has almost zero microphonics (I tested microphonics on a pair of M2 that had the new cable) and looks cool
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm very happy with my M9's, specially sound quality wise, and I recommend the new model although I have not tested them: the new cable will only make better an already very good product.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm personally very impressed with the update - the build quality was probably my only gripe with the old Ai-M9 for the asking price. With all of the improvements the M9s become my most highly recommended sub-$30 earphone for the moment as I expect far fewer issues with the new build.

I concur. The new M9 looks great!!!

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good mini review. Guess now you just have to update the multi-IEM thread once again?
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed, but I'm afraid to even think how far up the M9 will rise in the ranking ><. I'll get it done sometime this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back