The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Jul 20, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #962 of 1,222
Well the X7 is fine and high-end indeed, except with very large libraries, as all current FiiO DAPs.
This is why this topic has picked up so much interest from Hi-Fiers. We need an simple and efficient transport, not another 700-1000$ "hi-res" DAP with insufficient capacity or overpowered hardware.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #963 of 1,222
Well the X7 is fine and high-end indeed, except with very large libraries, as all current FiiO DAPs.
This is why this topic has picked up so much interest from Hi-Fiers. We need an simple and efficient transport, not another 700-1000$ "hi-res" DAP with insufficient capacity or overpowered hardware.
I see, so something like the Ipod Nano 7?

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #964 of 1,222
I see, so something like the Ipod Nano 7?

The iPod Nano 7 is about as perfect an example as one could find of why we need the T3 :rolleyes:

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #966 of 1,222

The iPod Nano 7 is about as perfect an example as one could find of why we need the T3
rolleyes.gif

true as in fact I haven't found anything quite like the iPod Nano 7, I have my high hopes on the T3

Here are two reasons why (and there are more reasons, too):

iPod nano does not allow memory expansion - the T3 is for audiophiles with massive music file libraries

iPod nano does not offer 3 different types of digital-out to supply a signal to any type of DAC / DAC-Amp

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #967 of 1,222

Here are two reasons why (and there are more reasons, too):

iPod nano does not allow memory expansion - the T3 is for audiophiles with massive music file libraries

iPod nano does not offer 3 different types of digital-out to supply a signal to any type of DAC / DAC-Amp

I agree there! 

T3 totally has it's own purpose and place within our little niche, as we would need a very good quality transport sometimes. I mean, a transport that is best at being a transport and doesn't include anything else would be welcome, especially as Fiio will be releasing a DAC/AMP based on X7's AMP modules, and that AMP/DAC will feature amazing DAC chip inside. 

My phone, if used as a transport, lasts too little battery wise, and I can't connect both a battery and a DAC/AMP to it at the same time.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #968 of 1,222

My phone, if used as a transport, lasts too little battery wise, and I can't connect both a battery and a DAC/AMP to it at the same time.

A nice Huawei Mate 7 phone puts a lot of DAPs to shame (easily more than 24 hours of music), battery, because its dedicated audio chip draws very little power.
The only drawback is that it isn't compatible with a lot of DAPs (the Kirin CPUs that Huawei use are a bit tricky although unbeatable in terms of autonomy) and it only works with IEMs because of the limited output.

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #970 of 1,222
Some of us need storage. Personally I don't know any other alternative with 1Tb option.

You're right. That one cannot be beaten. I don't need that much storage anymore, I can settle for less, but man, is that nice to have when you can have it. I sometimes miss my entire discographies, or the moments when I can't find that one song that I really wanted to listen to. 

Fiio X7 + a 200gb microSD is a great option, but just to have my entire discographies, which amount at about 500 GB or so, I think that a T3 + Fiio's DAC + AMP new solution will bring everyone here to music Nirvana. 

A nice Huawei Mate 7 phone puts a lot of DAPs to shame (easily more than 24 hours of music), battery, because its dedicated audio chip draws very little power.
The only drawback is that it isn't compatible with a lot of DAPs (the Kirin CPUs that Huawei use are a bit tricky although unbeatable in terms of autonomy) and it only works with IEMs because of the limited output.

I would beg to differ. Mate7 is pretty awful for everything, especially because of it's launcher. It's not a bad phone overall, but not the best one either. 

If you want extreme amazing Oh My God, How is that possible battery life, look into cowon players and transports. Cowon have extreme battery life, but sound wise, it's meh. I used to use them before I discovered that Fiio sells in Romania. 

A fiio X5ii brings me a 10 hour battery life of 98 volume + FLAC + display on 15% of the time, and a lot of shuffling around + it powers my best headphones.. It's not 24 hours, but the SQ is significantly better. 

But I love them big screen phones, man. I watch lots and lots of AMV (anime music videos) and a big screen phone is a must, though I would need a DAC + Amp to use my phone as such. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #972 of 1,222
Something occured to me just now. The T3 is supposed to be a digital transport with a DAC in it, so the user just needs to add their own amplifier, right? So, will we see a T1 (or whatever it's going to be called) without the dac and with lower price? I'd love to see a transport only which I could plug into my E18 for a complete portable audio system (as of now I'm using my phone but it's not as convenient as I'd like).

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #973 of 1,222
Something occured to me just now. The T3 is supposed to be a digital transport with a DAC in it, so the user just needs to add their own amplifier, right? So, will we see a T1 (or whatever it's going to be called) without the dac and with lower price? I'd love to see a transport only which I could plug into my E18 for a complete portable audio system (as of now I'm using my phone but it's not as convenient as I'd like).

You might want to read a bit more in this thread. The DAC was actually added to lower the cost so that scenario seem highly unlikely....

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #974 of 1,222
You might want to read a bit more in this thread. The DAC was actually added to lower the cost so that scenario seem highly unlikely....

I fail to understand how adding an additional component to the device would lower the cost but You may be right about reading up more.

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #975 of 1,222
They added the all in one DAC/amp because they aren't sure there is a market for just a transport. It's an old topic that has been beaten to death. FiiO is using the ES9118 SoC as the DAC/amp and apparently it's cheap and easy to implement.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799227/the-upcoming-fiio-t3-dual-sd-slot-3-2-inch-full-touch-screen-optical-coaxial-usb-digital-output-slim-design-apt-x-type-c/270#post_12412564

I'm all in for a transport only with no DAC/amp (no matter now cheap it is), but from FiiO's perspective having a built in DAC/amp will not limit their customer base so much because, let's face it, a true transport is a fairly niche product. I still want a pure transport though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back