The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen | Optical/Coaxial/USB digital output | Slim design | APT-X | TYPE C |
Mar 13, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #331 of 1,222
Will the fiio software have a database file and folder limit?

I think it's being considered, as it needs to be, with potentially 2x 512gb memory expansion, but yet to be 100% confirmed:

6, better system so it can deal with maybe up to 30,000 or 40,000 sound tracks. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #332 of 1,222
Totally! The DAC/AMP functionality could be integrated, for those who want to have it, by adding a module pretty much along the same lines as the different amp module for the X7. This add-on DAC/AMP could even come in different versions, with different specs at different price levels.  

Its not a dac/amp "module", rather those components are built into an SoC that powers the unit. In other words, it's all integrated. Thats why it wont largely affect size or cost, yet also why it will merely sound decent and not amazing. But again, the whole point is to hook it up to an external DAC/amp, focusing the value of this device on its storage capabilities.

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #333 of 1,222
.. components are built into an SoC that powers the unit. In other words, it's all integrated. Thats why it wont largely affect size or cost, yet also why it will merely sound decent and not amazing. But again, the whole point is to hook it up to an external DAC/amp, focusing the value of this device on its storage capabilities.

I couldn't agree more, from a practical and cost efficiency point of view these features are not being added for any other reason than functionality and the existence of the already Soc . 

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #334 of 1,222

Because you've now decided you have absolutely no intention of making a transport, don't you think the thread title should be changed, James?

Thats rather tongue in cheek. ....

Yes and No...

Including a basic, reasonable dac and amp doesnt make it less of a device, it makes it more of a device because it adds functionality *without sacrificing size, cost, or battery life as a transport*

Joking aside, if it's a one-chip Sabre solution, then yes, I concede that it needn't interfere too much with use of the device as a transport.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #335 of 1,222
Hi, guys,

When we first be a member of head-fi'er, most of us were use iPod Classic as music source and bundled with an DAC/AMP or AMP only, but as you can see that now there are so many DAPs designed for audiophiles .

but it it quite interesting that we found lots of our fans and other audiophiles still like to bundle DAPs with other amp, so I am wondering whether it will be popular if we make a new DAP which designed as transport.  in my mind it should be 

1, supports huge storage, maybe up to 1T by 2 SD slot so you get 512g x 2. 

2, full touch screen so you can manage so many music quite easy like our X7.

3, supports optical/coaxial/USB digital audio out , and line out .

4, build in a headphone amp but it is not the important part so we can save the battery, cost and make it as small as possible. 

5, with bluetooth (APT-X ) and supports bluetooth remote controller. 

6, better system so it can deal with maybe up to 30,000 or 40,000 sound tracks. 

7, maybe USB 3.0 supports 

8, two USB socket one for USB digital out and one for power. 

oh, maybe we are too crazy but who know :L3000:  

----------------------------------------------------------------------first picture of the transport, just to show the idea-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dual SD

Pros: size, battery life, most people have couple SD cards or mSD cards.

Cons: max volume is 1T right now ( 2 X 512g ), cost, 

So I think we should go back to Dual SD card slot . it is more reasonable. 

If I can state my 2 cents.

First and foremost is target audience needs to be determined before we can get any details worked out.

Price range will determine pretty much everything on the list of wants/needs to be realistic with this product.

The designed pictured here for a basic reference (in my opinion is fantastic. I've dropped my Fiio E12A so many times without the case and still pretty much looks flawless. The thickness of the aluminum is perfect. Thick enough to not dent and cause the body to warp even if sat on.

Speaking of thickness and durability. The use of Dual SD cards is pretty much a necessity. The lack of moving parts is essential for durability in the long run. Plus the best way for users to expand their onboard storage while keeping costs down.

If this product if going to be in the $300-$400 range, to be realistic we need to think about what chipset and power we are looking at.. My opinions, the Muses02 or the Newer Muses 8832 are fantastic places to start for power, especially portable power. Not to mention, seems like Dual DAC is the way to go nowadays like Dual CS4398's or Dual PCM1792, or even the newer PCM 5102 would be nice to dual out and keep costs down again and keep power consumption down. To achieve that 15-20hr battery life that is apparently being targeted.

Obviously implementation is always the true key to how good all these chips sound; however, you all at Fiio aren't strangers to taking technology and implementing it very well. I just feel like by keeping in the same basic stable you all already have, and retooling them to make newer better products wouldn't be a bad idea. Kind of like Porsche. The 911 has kept the same basic design since its inception. They have simply evolved the shape versus trying to reinvent it with each new model.

Me personally, I would love to see a Dual CS4398 paired with the new Muses8832 opamp. But screw it, what do I know.. Lol..

Update.. I didn't get to finish typing. Other things I prefer, Bluetooth isn't a huge priority to me since most Bluetooth headsets aren't up to par with wired headsets. However, Wi-Fi is a very big important factor. Primarily due to being able to download firmware and update the device over-the-air "ota". Streaming is another nice feature that would be included by the addition of Wi-Fi, however, that would mean some form of Android OS. Which can be very laborious on the chipset. Which ultimately leads to shorter battery life.

If it will be full touchscreen, 480x800 screen resolution at a minimum. IPS is nice, but I have always preferred AMOLED. I figure the price of older Samsung Galaxy S3 screens is probably pretty cheap by now. Once again, keep cost down.

If you can produce something remotely like this, that would be stupendous!! Especially if this is a Fiio X3 3rd Generation we're talking about, or possibly a X4, or an M6 or M7, oh absolutely!!!

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #336 of 1,222
If I can state my 2 cents.

First and foremost is target audience needs to be determined before we can get any details worked out.

Price range will determine pretty much everything on the list of wants/needs to be realistic with this product.

The designed pictured here for a basic reference (in my opinion is fantastic. I've dropped my Fiio E12A so many times without the case and still pretty much looks flawless. The thickness of the aluminum is perfect. Thick enough to not dent and cause the body to warp even if sat on.

Speaking of thickness and durability. The use of Dual SD cards is pretty much a necessity. The lack of moving parts is essential for durability in the long run. Plus the best way for users to expand their onboard storage while keeping costs down.

If this product if going to be in the $300-$400 range, to be realistic we need to think about what chipset and power we are looking at.. My opinions, the Muses02 or the Newer Muses 8832 are fantastic places to start for power, especially portable power. Not to mention, seems like Dual DAC is the way to go nowadays like Dual CS4398's or Dual PCM1792, or even the newer PCM 5102 would be nice to dual out and keep costs down again and keep power consumption down. To achieve that 15-20hr battery life that is apparently being targeted.

Obviously implementation is always the true key to how good all these chips sound; however, you all at Fiio aren't strangers to taking technology and implementing it very well. I just feel like by keeping in the same basic stable you all already have, and retooling them to make newer better products wouldn't be a bad idea. Kind of like Porsche. The 911 has kept the same basic design since its inception. They have simply evolved the shape versus trying to reinvent it with each new model.

Me personally, I would love to see a Dual CS4398 paired with the new Muses8832 opamp. But screw it, what do I know.. Lol..

Update.. I didn't get to finish typing. Other things I prefer, Bluetooth isn't a huge priority to me since most Bluetooth headsets aren't up to par with wired headsets. However, Wi-Fi is a very big important factor. Primarily due to being able to download firmware and update the device over-the-air "ota". Streaming is another nice feature that would be included by the addition of Wi-Fi, however, that would mean some form of Android OS. Which can be very laborious on the chipset. Which ultimately leads to shorter battery life.

If it will be full touchscreen, 480x800 screen resolution at a minimum. IPS is nice, but I have always preferred AMOLED. I figure the price of older Samsung Galaxy S3 screens is probably pretty cheap by now. Once again, keep cost down.

If you can produce something remotely like this, that would be stupendous!! Especially if this is a Fiio X3 3rd Generation we're talking about, or possibly a X4, or an M6 or M7, oh absolutely!!!

My 2cents... Lets not ask for ANY requests for a separate highend quality DAC or amp that will drain excessive battery and take up excessive space. This thread is for a transport which should only feed files with as many connections as possible (including bluetooth and WiFi). James has said the proposed DAC/amp chip is not the priority. If that's your priority then this isn't the device for you. There is a hole in the market where people own a Mojo or HA-2 and even FiiO's upcoming Q5 (as well as many others) where you need a transport to store and decode the files. The fact that they want to put a small DAC/amp in is actually a compromise to what a transport is.

The priority should be small size, long battery life, large file storage, and all digital outputs available. That's what a transport is. Anything else is icing on the cake for FiiO's sales as long as it doesn't interfere with the other features.

Obviously this is what FiiO faces with saying it will include a DAC/amp. People get confused and request TOTL gear, but that's not its purpose. The proposed DAC/amp is only there really for a sales wider audience. This should be first and foremost a transport as FiiO has enough DAP models already.

Edit: Also the price needs to be $300 or less. I'd be happier at $200 but mentioning $400 is just too much IMO.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #337 of 1,222
I would most likely use a unit like that in my car through the line out function.  A nice upgrade to my modified ipod 5.5g, which had a 256gb SD card installed.  Course that was sold to fund other toys....

If I ever purchased a mojo or the HA-2, I would feed those from time to time.

The chip supports DSD which is nice, and hi res.  It was originally designed for smart phones.

Maybe future versions could include even better processing and a more powerful amp as a next gen X3 or X5.  But I do see where this could work for my needs.  I am constantly fiddling with what songs are resident on the 200gb microSDXC card in the X3 Gen II.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #338 of 1,222
My 2cents... Lets not ask for ANY requests for a separate highend quality DAC or amp that will drain excessive battery and take up excessive space. This thread is for a transport which should only feed files with as many connections as possible (including bluetooth and WiFi). James has said the proposed DAC/amp chip is not the priority. If that's your priority then this isn't the device for you. There is a hole in the market where people own a Mojo or HA-2 and even FiiO's upcoming Q5 (as well as many others) where you need a transport to store and decode the files. The fact that they want to put a small DAC/amp in is actually a compromise to what a transport is.

The priority should be small size, long battery life, large file storage, and all digital outputs available. That's what a transport is. Anything else is icing on the cake for FiiO's sales as long as it doesn't interfere with the other features.

Obviously this is what FiiO faces with saying it will include a DAC/amp. People get confused and request TOTL gear, but that's not its purpose. The proposed DAC/amp is only there really for a sales wider audience. This should be first and foremost a transport as FiiO has enough DAP models already.

Edit: Also the price needs to be $300 or less. I'd be happier at $200 but mentioning $400 is just too much IMO.

Ah okay, now I understand. Definitely didn't read that it was supposed to be a transport. I figured they meant player to "Transport" your music where ever you go. My fault..

Well then... Never mind everything I said.. Lol.. Well.. Almost everything I said.. Some of it I guess still holds true..

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #339 of 1,222
Sledgeharvy, theres little point in giving so much focus of this device to the DAC/amp. These ideas should be considered for the Q5. Firstly, this doesnt need an amazing dac setup. Anyone who is getting this to use as a transport will have an external dac/amp anyway, and most of anyone else will probably be pretty happy with the basic solution. Otherwise they can always buy an external dac/amp later. Besides, it would make part of their lineup obsolete. If this costs $300 and sounds as good as the x5 then theres no reason to buy the x5 as this is a bit cheaper and has way higher storage capacity. Besides, I'd wager all that would increase the size of the device.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #340 of 1,222
Ah okay, now I understand. Definitely didn't read that it was supposed to be a transport. I figured they meant player to "Transport" your music where ever you go. My fault..

Well then... Never mind everything I said.. Lol.. Well.. Almost everything I said.. Some of it I guess still holds true..

Lol, no worries. :)

:beerchug:

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #341 of 1,222
i can almost foresee that people are gonna say if this "transport" sounds great and/or ask whether it can drive full sized cans... lol

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #342 of 1,222

+1000

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #343 of 1,222
Just voted for the 3.2in touchscreen. Imho touchscreen is a must for this to be taken seriously. The only scenario I can imagine myself taking a scrollwheel over a touch screen is the scrollwheel allow the transport to be SIGNIFICANTLY (e.g. half) less thick.

Pls make it thin! Pleeeeeease!!

I still strongly believe the form factors (read: thickness and cable mgmt) is going to be the key make or break factor for a dedicated transport.

Thickness: the competition or benchmark here is really the smartphones. If it is as thing as a DAP I might just go for a DAP for the flexibility to use it standalone.

Cable mgmt: I understand it is not feasible to make the transport dedicated to (and thus reliant on) certain dac/amp. Nonetheless a modular design where the transport can be attached to add-on modules customized for certain popular (wink wink) portable dac/amp would goes a long way to improve portability and possibly profitability...

Just my 2c and hope they make sense.

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #344 of 1,222
Just voted for the 3.2in touchscreen. Imho touchscreen is a must for this to be taken seriously. The only scenario I can imagine myself taking a scrollwheel over a touch screen is the scrollwheel allow the transport to be SIGNIFICANTLY (e.g. half) less thick.

Pls make it thin! Pleeeeeease!!

I still strongly believe the form factors (read: thickness and cable mgmt) is going to be the key make or break factor for a dedicated transport.

Thickness: the competition or benchmark here is really the smartphones. If it is as thing as a DAP I might just go for a DAP for the flexibility to use it standalone.

Cable mgmt: I understand it is not feasible to make the transport dedicated to (and thus reliant on) certain dac/amp. Nonetheless a modular design where the transport can be attached to add-on modules customized for certain popular (wink wink) portable dac/amp would goes a long way to improve portability and possibly profitability...

Just my 2c and hope they make sense.

I agree thickness is key, considering we are going to stack this with a separate DAC/Amp. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #345 of 1,222
AK Jr thickness would be all right for me. Thinner is better, but if it means 20 hrs playback I'll take the AK Jr size.James mentioned 10mm, which is fairly thin already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back