The unofficial Skyrim thread.
Nov 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 426

Quote:
I doubt Diablo 3 is demanding. Skyrim won't be much worse than Oblivion, if it's worse at all. Whatever you do salvage your hard drives. They're expensive right now.

About the only things up to date in my PC are the HDDs. I'd be replacing core parts like the proc (AMD 3500+), mobo, ram, and video (AGP). I can't be chopping around on the lowest settings in Diablo, man!

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #22 of 426

Quote:
Final Maths exam on Monday, haven't studied. Skyrim couldn't have come at a worse time.

I've been there. Happened multiple times even in grad school. But I've eventually learned to block out sources of distraction and temptation via firm determination that if I play and don't study, I will regret for a long time!

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #23 of 426

Quote:
Final Maths exam on Monday, haven't studied. Skyrim couldn't have come at a worse time.

Agreed, the whole idea of releasing games in November is pretty awful to the game industry's target demographic...

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 426

Quote:
Agreed, the whole idea of releasing games in November is pretty awful to the game industry's target demographic...

They release them when the holiday season starts so they can make more money.

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #25 of 426

Quote:
They release them when the holiday season starts so they can make more money.

I'm not an idiot, so I know this. However, that doesn't change the fact that college-aged folks have extremely heavy workloads this time of year. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #26 of 426
I don't personally put alot of weight on stats myself but it is something to consider:
http://grabstats.com/statcategorymain.asp?StatCatID=13

according to this, the avg gamer is 35 and has been playing for 13 years.  In terms of sales specifically, that elevates the avg age to 40.  That said, college-aged gamers while a large part of the target demographic may not actually be "the" target demographic.  Personally, I didn't start gaming regularly until I was well out of college since during, I had little time nor money to do so.

Its a similar story for most of my friends as well who really started putting down money into gaming after college or towards the end of it.  We all gamed beforehand but we didn't spend nearly as much money on it as we do now.

I tihnk realistically, the age range in which most sales are coming from is probably ALOT higher up.  Mainly because its a situation of who has the economic means to buy games whether its for yourself or as a gift.  Parents buying games for their kids probably pushes the average way up especially around holiday season and the fact that most good games are 18+.  I don't know about stores elsewhere, but here my Gamestop always asks for ID which would definitely serve as a hindrance for younger-aged(highschool/early college) sales.

All that said, I can't really understand how its awful specifically for college-aged consumers.  Its not all that great either for those that work fulltime jobs and have other crap to deal with day to day.  Games usually come out on Monday at midnight or Tuesday.  Its not like any of us can put everything else on hold and just miss work the next day.  Also, at they very least, Skyrim is coming out on a Friday which gives most of us the weekend, so it could definitely be worse.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #27 of 426
I was pretty certain M means 17 +.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #28 of 426
ESRB is a ratings system. It doesn't imply target audience, only limits it. Skyrim is made for all ages over 17, not just high school and college students. The average gamer is getting older every year.

However, the average age of members on the official Bethesda forums is high school and college aged. Take from that what you will. The sample isn't exactly random.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #29 of 426

Quote:
ESRB is a ratings system. It doesn't imply target audience, only limits it. Skyrim is made for all ages over 17, not just high school and college students. The average gamer is getting older every year.

However, the average age of members on the official Bethesda forums is high school and college aged. Take from that what you will. The sample isn't exactly random.

I thought gaming would be expanding to younger demographics not getting older?

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #30 of 426
Quote:
I thought gaming would be expanding to younger demographics not getting older?

Why? The average gamer doesn't stop gaming. Gaming was popularized 20 years ago, if they were teenagers at the time they'd be in their mid 30s now.

Here, think of it like this. Assume a constant rate of growth of 100 new gamers every year (we're working with small scales), and assume they start at age 15. Now assume older gamer numbers don't decrease. That's reasonable, because for every one that quits another might pick the hobby up.
  1. In year 1 there's 100 gamers age 15. The average age is 15.
  2. In year 2 there's 100 gamers age 15, and 100 gamers age 16. The average age is 15.5.
  3. Year 3, 100 15, 100 16, and 100 17 year olds. The average age is 16.

Etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back