The "Under USD $50" Club
Mar 24, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #16 of 33
Let's keep focus here
evil_smiley.gif

Prices are US dollars for the average consumer (sorry non-US people
frown.gif
). That means the HP890 are out, as are any headphone that requires an amp -- since the "average" consumer looking for new headphones won't have an amp.

I'm not trying to unfairly restrict things -- just trying to build a list of phones that are readily available in the US for $50 or less that your "why spend money on headphones" neighbor might actually buy
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #17 of 33
I went for a nice long walk this morning, and took a few pieces of gear I haven't used in quite some time, namely the Sony MZ-R50, a JMT-built Penguin amp, and the Koss KSC-35s. Listening to an MD of Simon and Garfunkel's "Concert in Central Park," I was stunned by the sound of these headphones that I paid $15 for on closeout at Best Buy. To my ears, they are leagues ahead of the Sennheiser MX-500 and the Sony 888 buds, which I've been using quite a lot lately with my iPod or portable CDP. For my money, they are THE under $50 headphones to buy...................simply amazing sound quality for such little outlay.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 33
Good Lord---has anyone actually heard the Koss UR20s/30s??
rolleyes.gif

These make the unmodified Plug sound good. Huge ugly phones that are barely adjustable and sound markedly similar to the heinous Sennheiser HD500---i.e. boomy sludgy bass, truncated treble, soundstage like a finger puppet theater, and recessed listening position, as if one were listening to bad music at the end of a long pipe. The only fascinating thing is that strong bass makes the entire driver assembly shake like a little explosion just happened inside; this is sort of novel but not enough to create a recommendation.

Please remove these from the list; innocent novices on a budget should not have these foisted upon them!!!
biggrin.gif

Instead, add:

Sennheiser HD202---supraaural closed phones, $25-30 street.
Sennheiser HD457, 477---supraaural open phones, $30-$50.

Mar 25, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Almost every headphone I see these days in the general public that isn't stock is Sony vertical headphone. They're not the A44s, I don't think. They're permanently attached to an extremely thin plastic band--I think yellow in color. What are these?

Well, some of those yellow-colored Sony vertical headphones are stock; the MDR-W14/W014L headphones that come with most current Sony Sports Walkman players. But if you're talking those that aren't stock, there are two such yellow Sony verticals available: the MDR-W20G and the MDR-A30G (the latter folds up). My experience with both of them is that they're boomy and somewhat tinny both at once; in fact, the A30G's were so boomy that they vibrated my ears annoyingly.

Mar 25, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #20 of 33
What's the difference between the PortaPro and SportaPro? They Porta costs 20 dollars more for almost the same headphone...I haven't heard the Porta though or looked at it's build quality.

Mar 25, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #21 of 33
n4rc---

Porta and Sporta use the same drivers and sound very similar. Basically decent but sort of bass heavy which drowns out mids and highs at times. Not at all a bad intro to headphones though. The Portas are larger and sturdier, and have more fit adjustments, especially in terms of the pressure they exert on your head. If you think normal headphones are not comfy, the Porta is worth the extra cash. The Sportas are smaller and are more portable.

The huge price differential is not necessarily a given. You can find the Portas online for less than $35 at this vendor:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hypeaudio/portapro.html

An even lower price of $25 online was quoted recently from some other vendor but the vendor that made this claim did not have them in stock when someone tried to buy em, so the truth of that claimed price cannot be verified.

Mar 25, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 33
Funny how I follow this thread, then read the Omega II vs Orpheus reviews. $35 to $14,000 is umm... a 40000% increase. To put that into persepctive, if the PortaPro was a $5k Ford Aspire, the Orpheus was be a $200,000,000 space shuttle.

Mar 26, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #23 of 33
That would be a cheap POS space shuttle then. Don't they usually cost several BILLION dollars?

Mar 26, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
That would be a cheap POS space shuttle then. Don't they usually cost several BILLION dollars?

Ok, maybe not a space shuttle but you could buy two of those martian airplane things.

Mar 26, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #25 of 33
I can't believe POS Sony VITES actually sound all right through JMT CHA-47. It's not sound that I enjoy, but it's clear, and all the frequencies are there, the midrange is forward, and the highs arn't veiled. I'm thinking, What? Has this crackhead Matt brainwashed me? Bass isn't bloated either
eek.gif
unless you turn on the EQ of a pcdp or some other nasty ****, like MegaCrappyFart, yikes.

But with some help of amplification, the **** vites do belong in the under fifty club. Senn MX500 still king though.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #26 of 33
...Crackhead Matt, reporting in, Sir, to report that, no he hasn't brainwashed you *SIR*

I told someone else (complaining on the "Continuing MDR-A44L Drama") to "listen before you leap." Uhhhhh...yeah.

- S.M. Matt

Mar 26, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #28 of 33
i went and got myself a Koss ksc-50 after all the rave about the koss. I thought my porta corda needed a suitable partner and the Koss ksc-50 was definitely a worthy clip on partner for my porta corda.

The Koss ksc-50 at $35 AUD has better range, deeper bass and sharper highs than my replaced Sony MDRQ33LPS Ear Clip style headphone at $55-60 AUD. It has a nice warm sound that was very enjoyable and simply amazing for its price. It blowed the sony out in performance at half the price!! BUT as good as it sounds, I found the ear clip to be rather cheap, insecure and uncomfortable compared to the Sony ear clips.

The sony has a better build, solid plastic with a nice slippery plastic shielded cord that allows it to be placed behind your back rather than in front. Physically, the Sony beats the koss hands down from the size, material, cord to the overall quality. It also incorporate a short cord with extension. an excellent idea for portable use. (MD vs CD ; pocket vs bag)

Using the sony ear clips you can actually clip the headphone right against the ear forming a very comfortable, tight and secure fit. The Koss being bigger, sits on the edge of your ear loosely and while it'd probably not fall off it sure does feel odd and that it might fall off.

As much as I am now enjoying the new Koss ksc-50 I do wish they had put in more effort in its design and ergonomics. The Koss feels like a cheap mass produced ear clip(which it actually is) but at that price, I am not complaining.

Mar 26, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
i went and got myself a Koss ksc-50 after all the rave about
The Koss ksc-50 at $35 AUD has better range, deeper bass and sharper highs than my replaced Sony MDRQ33LPS Ear Clip style headphone at $55-60 AUD.

Hi there Taoster

Where did you find the Koss 50s for $35 in Oz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back