The Ultrasone Edition 8's - a preliminary impression
Nov 13, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the comfort level of the HD650?

It's been years since I had a HD650 but from memory I would rate the Ed8 cushions as much more comfortable however I didn't really have comfort problems with the HD650 either.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone could figure out a way to make the ED8s more comfortable, I'd swoop them up in a minute. As it is, I just cannot see paying that much money for headphone that clamps my head.

Can the headband of the edition 8 be stretched? There's a metal band inside other ultrasone full-sized headphones that allow the tightness to be adjusted, but I heard the headband of the ed8 is aluminum so don't try too hard hehe.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the headband of the edition 8 be stretched? There's a metal band inside other ultrasone full-sized headphones that allow the tightness to be adjusted, but I heard the headband of the ed8 is aluminum so don't try too hard hehe.

Geez. I wish someone could figure this out. Or better yet, the manufacturers could make comfortable HPs.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #19 of 37
I certainly won't be the one to see if it can stretch. I'd try it with my Grado, but not with these Ultrasones.
eek.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #20 of 37
I've asked Ultrasone too many questions I think they put me on ignore so I won't bother asking. You should ask them if the headband of the ed8 can be safely stretched if you want to know.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #21 of 37
The aluminum in the headband goes all the way through it. It was reported that during initial testing, they actually tried to break one of them at Ultrasone in Gemany by twisting and bending it way beyond normal use, and couldn't.

I wuldn't suppose that anyone would try to bend them all the way apart, just to see if they'll break, but if you need to, they can be gently pulled open to fit those with more larger cerebral hemispheres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've asked Ultrasone too many questions I think they put me on ignore so I won't bother asking. You should ask them if the headband of the ed8 can be safely stretched if you want to know.

WOW! That button really works!
biggrin.gif

Send us an email or give us a call if you need to.

Paul

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #22 of 37
While burning them in, you can put them on the large pillow so they will stay several days "widespread", that will reduce the clamping force. It is an old thick, works with other Ultrasones too.

As for comparing 900 and ed8 - you really can't, they are different class phones. ed8 is way above and way more refined. Mids are more forward than 900 but you will adapt to that and start appreciating an added clarity after some time.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for comfort - it really depends on your head and ear shape and size. For some they are supercomfy, for others - less so. I wear glasses and I start feeling physical discomfort after 1.5 hours, but don't want to take them off because they sound oh so damn good. People who have smaller ears and don't use glassez, usially report them to be very comfy. So it really is a personal thing, and you can not predict how it will be in your case until you try. Generally they are considered to be comfortable, and I like them more than 900 or 650 in this sense.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for comfort - it really depends on your head and ear shape and size. For some they are supercomfy, for others - less so. I wear glasses and I start feeling physical discomfort after 1.5 hours, but don't want to take them off because they sound oh so damn good. People who have smaller ears and don't use glassez, usially report them to be very comfy. So it really is a personal thing, and you can not predict how it will be in your case until you try. Generally they are considered to be comfortable, and I like them more than 900 or 650 in this sense.

Why not take off the glasses while listening. Afterall, when listening to these babies, there's not much need for clear vision.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #24 of 37
abyrvalg;6157131 said:
As for comparing 900 and ed8 - you really can't, they are different class phones. ed8 is way above and way more refined. Mids are more forward than 900 but you will adapt to that and start appreciating an added clarity after some time.
smily_headphones1.gif
It would please me no end if your perception of the ED8 being in a different class to the PRO900 is what I discover. With diminishing returns, I expect the Edition to out perform the Pro900, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it is that significant.

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Why not take off the glasses while listening

Well, I listen while working and that requires glasses, unfortunately. But now I have one more reson to try to fix my eyesight
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

With diminishing returns, I expect the Edition to out perform the Pro900, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it is that significant.

Here, with all the diminishing returns, very SMALL differences can make a BIG difference (just like with a "big hi-end"). For example, take two seemingly equal DACs that sound very much the same, yet one of them is more "resolving" and another is more "veiled" or "plain". On some headphones you will probably hear no difference at all, yet on other it is just striking different in emotions. The same may be with 900 and ed8 - you can not expect just a COMPLETELY different sound because it can not be - after all, the music you play remains the same. What makes the difference (apart from obviously more forward mids and more even presentation in bass region) is something I can call "characrer". It is difficult to put that in words, but while sounding somewhat similar, they are completely different animals. I don't know if I managed to express myself clearly, but with this kind of stuff it is rather difficult
smily_headphones1.gif

One more thing. Using Ed8 with ipod or any other portable is in my opinion a waste of their true potential. They deserve the best source, amp, power supply, and cabling. Just upgrading interconnects can make it change from "good sound" to "holy sh@#!" - even though seemingly nothing changes, but some very subtle stuff like a very top of HF rerion may clear up and make it sound like magic. With Ed8 you can hear the difference, and appreciate improvements.

So how significant is the improvement? That very much depends on the upstream chain, and your expectations. In the beginning I was somewhat disappointed - because I had an idea of how they "should" sound ("like my 900 but better in all aspects"), yet I got something different. With time I understood that the way they present music is much more "proper" than what I got used to have with 900's, and when I heard and started to appreciate the new way - I realized that ed8 is a totally different class. Like mazda and maseratti, they both can take you from A to B, and they have engine and 4 wheels, but...
smily_headphones1.gif

All above is just my personal opinion, based on my previous experience and musical tastes
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 37
I like Edition8 speaker sound ( unlike bass weak HD800) and PRO900, which remind me of EDITION9, is a nice compliment for travel or as a second headphones for fraction of a cost and the case with two cables and extra earpads is handy.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #27 of 37
There's no felt used in the pro 900 earcups like in the edition 8. If you experiment and add felt you can change the character drastically from the stock sound. Stock sound might be very well-suited for critical listening but it's about the antithesis of engaging. There's a few things about the pro 900 I think may detract from its potential which does not affect the edition headphones, such as the detachable cable feature which makes the grounds meet very close to the left driver and 26" from the right driver. I think the diode also changes the character, but can't say good or bad.

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #30 of 37
The ED8 is on my list of headphones to get, but well into the second phase ( after one complete year on head-fi ) of my ' to get' list... along with HD800.
Nice to hear mostly favourable reviews so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back