The Ultimate 'Which IEMs/Headphones Should I Get" Thread
Oct 21, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #17 of 34
It isn't the ultimate thread as it does includes what ClieOS actually owns/did own and doesn't include ALOT of great earphones e.g. the Denon c751's are a near 5/ 5* for value for money really.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #18 of 34
IEM
Music Preferences: Electronic Dance Music (especially Trance & House)
Price Range: Around $300
I think i'm a bass addict. Most ppl say that Shure SE530s have very deep tight bass but I tried out that earphone at a shop and It doesn't seem bass heavy to me.
I would like to listen from Ipod classic 80g without amp.
Pls help me with this.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #20 of 34
Omg I totally didn't see this thread and made another request/help thread.

IEM
Preferably in the range of ~150SGD
As for the type of music, I generally like alternative/piano rock/powerpop and listen to vocals.
Jason Mraz, The Rocket Summer are examples of bands I love.
Was considering the cx300 or CK7, any other recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellaChinese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All Shure headphones are made in one plant in America so they're all the same quality..

I don't have them anymore, but when I bought mine from a US distributer I thought it says Made In Mexico...

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellaChinese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the 200$ range you have three real competitors: the Sleek SA6, Atrio M5

The SA6 is highly revered in this forum due to it's warm (bass) qualities and it's personal customization choices. Mids are good and the treble can be tuned to however you like it.

The SA6 has bass and treble ports that you can self-tune to find your own best sound.

The Atrio M5 is a serious bass-head IEM that does NOT distort the mids or shadow the highs. However, it isn't as detail oriented as the SA6 (in terms of trebles)

Both of these are great headphones, so the last part is up to you based on your personal preference. You might also want to consider the Jays q-Jay, but based on what I've read the SA6's outperform them for the price.

You might want to check out this thread that reviews 17 different IEMs and do some more research yourself
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...9-08-a-335851/

You said there were three competitors, but you only listed 2. So, I think the third contender should be the ue super.fi 5 pro. I love the frequency response for all types of rock music.

If comfort/fit is an issue with the sf5p, get the comply foram t-500 tips. They work wonders.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #23 of 34
First time poster, but I've been lurking for a few months.

I'm looking for a $100-ish IEM for my 80GB iPod Classic.

I need a good "all around" spec because I listen to everything.

Must be comfortable because I'll be using them at work (data entry) and provide excellent isolation and bass.

Right now I'm using JVC Marshmellows, so use that as a scale for bass please.

Previosly, I had Koss KEB/24G - I liked the bass on them, but the cheap rubber hurt my ears. The foam on the JVC is very comfortable to me.

I've been considering the E6i, RE2, and Denon 751. I'm just about sold on the RE2, but have heard there is a lack of bass on it. Just how "bad" is it? to me, the stock iPod earbuds had no bass. If the bass on the RE2s is comperable to the Koss, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

The Denon tips look similar to the Koss, and I'm concerned they'll irritate my ears.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #24 of 34
hmm. May as well since I'm shopping for portables again. I usually get the idea "Ok, I'm gonna get some awesome portables finally", and usually settle for something less because I don't wanna spend much money. Aaaanyways:

Budget: ~$150 USD, but I think I can be a little flexible.
Tastes: a little of everything. I listen to stuff from Sibelius to Blackalicious. The bulk, though, is various kinds of rock. Punk, Indie, Classic, Acousticy stuff. I have a lot of the Cure, David Bowie, and Blur. Also a lot of stuff like Bad Brains and Rites of Spring. Also, also, Jeff Buckley, and then some country music. I need a good all rounder, I guess.

Size isn't so much of a big deal, though I'd prefer something that stores easily. I prefer closed circumaural, but have given thought to the etys er-6i more than once.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 34
My AKG K81's with a silver cantsleep cable have finally crapped out today (cable kept breaking and needed resoldering) so I'm in the market again for headphones and musicless meanwhile (apart from computer speakers).
frown.gif

Much as I love a big clunky pair of headphones, I don't know if I should move into IEM territory. I haven't yet tried IEMs, but I hear they can provide better sound on the lower budget end than closed supra-aurals. Well, that's the gist I got anyway. >_>

Question 1) Do I stay in Supra-aural land (looking for closed phones) or do I go to IEMs?

Question 2) If so, then:

Budget: Max of $150, ideally lower, say 120, but I'll go to $150 for an outstanding pair
Tastes: Metal, Industrial, Electronica (a la Plaid, FSOL, The Flashbulb) and various other randomness.
Frequencies: I'll sound like a snobby idiot, but I kinda like to hear the detail and nuances of the song (i.e. the FSOL songs), but I like a strong tight bass sound too, hence the silver recable on the AKG K81s, something a bit similar to that. Kind of a decent all-rounder but with good bass I guess?

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #26 of 34
atrio m5 & sleek sa6.which one should i buy?

i use 80gb ipod classic
listen mostly rock/heavy metal stuff!
like details & low bass.
any suggestion or any better earphone better than m5 & sa6?

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #27 of 34
Hello,

Price Range: <100USD
Music Preferences: Metal

I currently own a pair of HD280's, so with these IEM's I'm hoping to have more bass to balance the higher frequencies. Also I'd prefer to have the type of design in which the wire slips behind the ear.

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #28 of 34
Pretty simple question, I currently own a Senn CX300. The SQ is several levels below my other headphones (ATH-ESW9, Ety ER6i) but they beat everything I own on comfort. I can sleep with these in my ears, and nothing else is even remotely tolerable. I'm looking for a canalbud with the same dimensions / comfort level as the CX300, but with better SQ. I listen to mostly pop/electronic/rock. My budget is up to $100.
Is the Audio Technica CK7 the obvious choice here?

Any other suggestions?

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #29 of 34
Right, here goes.

Just introduced a friend of mine to a pair of headphones that aren't iBuds, so now she wants to get a reccommendation
biggrin.gif
However, I know very little about non-IEMs.

Essentially, the criteria are:
£50 (~$100?) price limit
Over-ear design
Balanced/Warm sound; easy to listen to
Fairly portable in design, and not too hard to drive (will be used with a 1st generation iPod, unamped)

Her music tastes span metal and rock, with a bit of pop thrown in for good measure.

(I also have a small question about my own headphones, I own a pair of e2cs. Basically, the connections in the earpieces started to go dodgy, and would crackle and cut out when the cables were moved [this is outside the warranty period]. I've gotten someone electrically minded to resolder the connections, do you think this will affect the sound quality at all? Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet)

Thanks in advance - Tom

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by discoscience /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty simple question, I currently own a Senn CX300. The SQ is several levels below my other headphones (ATH-ESW9, Ety ER6i) but they beat everything I own on comfort. I can sleep with these in my ears, and nothing else is even remotely tolerable. I'm looking for a canalbud with the same dimensions / comfort level as the CX300, but with better SQ. I listen to mostly pop/electronic/rock. My budget is up to $100.
Is the Audio Technica CK7 the obvious choice here?

Any other suggestions?

In case you haven't tried, how about using Shure's "olive" or modify the triflange with the mod listed in my signature? If it is still not comfortable enough, you can try the Comply tips.

Edit: I mean for your ER-6i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back