The Ultimate MC/MM phono stage, F-117, Nighthawk...
Mar 10, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #151 of 210
My first listen.
While Im not one to review and still only an hour into the "break-in" period. But the first thing to POP for me are the mids... crisp and clear. compared to my HA-500. Second was a very nice punch to the bass notes.
I look forward to the break in process and getting more from this tiny wonder!

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #152 of 210
Mar 11, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #153 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup...I have Serial # 001 for both the Protector and the F117
smily_headphones1.gif

I changed color schemes though. I went all Silver/Clear on the F117 and Black with Silver knob on the Protector.
Looks like both our orders got shipped today. Exciting!

Schucks, I only got Number 002 instead of 117.

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #154 of 210
Yeah, I feel sooooooooooo bad for you!!
evil_smiley.gif

My RSA goodies land on the 12th.
My second JMW 12.5 Armtube lands tomorrow. Borrowing a Ortofon Kontrapunkt B tomorrow from a friend as well to give it a whirl on the second armtube
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah now you must be feeling bad for me as well!

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #155 of 210
Oh man! Another great piece of gear to lust after. Congratulations on an excellent product launch.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #158 of 210
^ Ray, thanks for the pics.

Is the battery user replaceable?

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #159 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by robin-t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first listen.
While Im not one to review and still only an hour into the "break-in" period. But the first thing to POP for me are the mids... crisp and clear. compared to my HA-500. Second was a very nice punch to the bass notes.
I look forward to the break in process and getting more from this tiny wonder!

Robin,

Can you bring it to Starbucks this Sat.?

We can listen after coffee.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #160 of 210
I was just at the New York meet this past weekend and Ray, detecting my obvious interest/curiosity about this little kit, was nice enough to send me home with his personal phonostage to play with.

I was able to listen for a couple of hours today in my rig which consists of a Well Tempered Reference turntable and Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge and it has pretty much been blowing my mind/throwing a wrench in my analog plans.

Its too early to go too far ahead of myself, but I had resolved to sell the Koetsu as it sounded just too laid back and romantic for my tastes in my system with my Eastern Electric minimax phonostage (which I adore!).

Plugging in Rays stage has me completely second guessing this... The setup actually has some life and definition to it now--somewhat of a fun factor at the same 100ohm setting. Again, its too early to comment on improvement vs. plain old 'better synergy' but this little bugger has got me thinking!

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #161 of 210
Gopher, I'll be interested to hear more about your comparison since I've got an EE Minimax Phono as well that has been very good to me. But this sounds very interesting at about half the price with a lot more flexibility.

Might just have to give it a try but am very interested in hearing your take after you've lived with it for a bit.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #162 of 210
I'm totally unsure what I'm going to do at this point. My cartridge isn't even dialed in 100% (I struggle with my Well Tempered Reference Arm!) and this darn Koetsu is synergizing so much better with the nighthawk at 100ohms (to keep things apples to apples).

I suspect Ray may be getting a check instead of his preamp back, but that has yet to be decided. I've gotta spend more time listening, but I've got a pregnant lady watching tv in my stereo room!

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #163 of 210
I PayPall'd the money Mon. AM and just got the Nighthawk Wed. 11:30AM!!!

Now That is fast. Just like the plane.
Can't wait for it to charge and do some extended listening.

Thanks for the incredibly fast service, Ray.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #164 of 210
Alright, this little bugger is officially impressing the crap out of me. I don't feel that I'm missing anything over my reference Minimax phonostage while gaining top to bottom resolution. Its a little leaner in presentation than my minimax outfitted with Mullard tubes, but this jives much better with my VERY full bodied cartridge.

This thing is also quiet as hell!

I need to go back to my phonostage to do some a/bing, but I honestly don't want to stop listening with this thing.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #165 of 210
The A/Bing is over and my prior reference phonostage is on its way to a new home. I've come to adore the coherence of this Nighthawk.

I'm a little rusty in the review department, but I'm organizing my thoughts and will try and get something up soon.

I will say anyone on the fence should definitely give it a try--you really can't lose with the 30 day trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back