The Ultimate MC/MM phono stage, F-117, Nighthawk...
Apr 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #181 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by arossphoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone else confirm this please? This would probably be a deal breaker for me.

The battery has two wires soldered to the PC brd. If you can solder two wires then you have nothing to fear.
You can send it for free labor, just pay $20.00 for new battery + shipping & we will install it for you.
I don't really see why this should be some thing to even think about, When the warranty is 3 years on the battery. The play time is beyound what you might expect from other battery operated phono stages.
Ray Samuels

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #182 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The battery has two wires soldered to the PC brd. If you can solder two wires then you have nothing to fear.
You can send it for free labor, just pay $20.00 for new battery + shipping & we will install it for you.
I don't really see why this should be some thing to even think about, When the warranty is 3 years on the battery. The play time is beyound what you might expect from other battery operated phono stages.
Ray Samuels

Much better deal than an iPod!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #183 of 210
Quote:

I don't really see why this should be some thing to even think about, When the warranty is 3 years on the battery.

Thanks for your reply Ray. I'm not concerned about the next 3 years, but the next 5, 10, 15 years and beyond. I should say as well that my concerns about batteries and obsolescence are not limited to your product, but to devices with proprietary batteries in general.

I was excited about the Nighthawk, but as I thought back on my experiences with cameras, laptops, cordless drills and other battery powered devices my excitement started to diminish. So maybe this type of product just isn't for me.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #184 of 210
Andrew, I don't think the Nighthawk uses a proprietary battery.

I would like to know if there is anything unique about the battery Ray uses or if there are any number of batteries that would work well too. What properties will be important to someone looking to replace the battery in the year 2025?

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #185 of 210
Here are few customer's comments regarding the F-117...

Hi Ray,
Been listening to my rig with F-117 in place for the past week.
In a word: Wow!
Right out of the box, this equals or betters my PHD in terms transparency and low noise floor (The PHD’s strengths) but absolutely wipes the floor with it in terms of dynamic range, slam and presence.
I’ve been super busy this week with work projects, so I’ve only been able to log about 3 - 4 hours listening time total. From my experience the unit really hits its stride after about 20 minutes of playing time.
Playing through my favorite album sides generates one goosebump moment after another. When going back to the PHD, everything sounds, by comparison, reserved, polite and compressed.
This little guy has to be one of the best deals in audio.
I love it when I can down-size and improve my sound at the same time.

Also, I’m super impressed with the build quality, functionality, and well thought out physical design. An absolute world class, and world class sounding piece of gear.
Great job. I couldn’t be happier with it.
-Steve

This one from Suk...

RatL
Just got it and plumbed it into my system (Benz Micro L04 + SMEV + TNT III into Benchmark HDR into Krell KSA300S into Dunlavy SC-V).
Just like the reviews said: incredible soundstage and the bass is wonderfully deep and tight, a great match for the speakers.
Terrific stuff!
Thanks,
Suk

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #187 of 210
Quote:

Here are few customer's comments regarding the F-117...

Hi Ray,
Been listening to my rig with F-117 in place for the past week.
In a word: Wow!
Right out of the box, this equals or betters my PHD in terms transparency and low noise floor (The PHD’s strengths) but absolutely wipes the floor with it in terms of dynamic range, slam and presence.
I’ve been super busy this week with work projects, so I’ve only been able to log about 3 - 4 hours listening time total. From my experience the unit really hits its stride after about 20 minutes of playing time.
Playing through my favorite album sides generates one goosebump moment after another. When going back to the PHD, everything sounds, by comparison, reserved, polite and compressed.
This little guy has to be one of the best deals in audio.
I love it when I can down-size and improve my sound at the same time.

Also, I’m super impressed with the build quality, functionality, and well thought out physical design. An absolute world class, and world class sounding piece of gear.
Great job. I couldn’t be happier with it.
-Steve

This one from Suk...

RatL
Just got it and plumbed it into my system (Benz Micro L04 + SMEV + TNT III into Benchmark HDR into Krell KSA300S into Dunlavy SC-V).
Just like the reviews said: incredible soundstage and the bass is wonderfully deep and tight, a great match for the speakers.
Terrific stuff!
Thanks,
Suk

And about the battery?

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #188 of 210
The lithium ion battery shouldn't be a big deal at all. Either send it in to RSA for replacement or simply replace it yourself. I'm sure Ray can provide the exact model of the battery. Cut the two current wires from the old battery and solder in the leads of the new battery. Easy for both DIY guys OR whoever wants to send it in.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #189 of 210
After tried my friends unit, I want one!!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #190 of 210
Hi Friends...

Tonight by 12:00 O'Clock mid night, Chicago time, the Intro price of $650.00 for the F-117, Nighthawk is no longer honored. Please do not call or e-mail asking for the special price. The regular price is $795.00.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

May 14, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #191 of 210
I am sitting here just listening to Norah Jones Live in Austin with Ray's F-117 and switching back and forth with my upgraded XR-2 with the same chipset as the F-117.  All I can say is the naturalness and realism are amazing.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #194 of 210
Nice Ray!  Congrats on those nice reviews.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #195 of 210
Anybody have any comments on how the F-117 compares to the XR-2? I've read that the XR-10B can be upgraded to use the same ICs as the F-117, but what about the XR-2? I know Ray and others here consider it irrational or unjustified, but I still have some concerns about obsolescence and battery powered devices. I'm really tempted by the Nighthawk, but I am just more comfortable with something that can be plugged into a readily available power source for many years to come.

Thanks,

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back