The Ultimate HE1000 price speculation poll
Feb 21, 2015 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

icebear

Headphoneus Supremus
biggrin.gif

Since we have 3 threads already on the HE1000 headphones and price speculations are all over the place, I guess it is high time for a poll on this heated topic. So everybody get their crystal ball out, polish to a high shine and take a good reading on what the price will be.
popcorn.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm assuming it will be between $2,000 and $2500, but I can only hope that it is below $1,500. Is there a release date yet? 

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 25
It's been confirmed to be over $9000.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 25
Well one thing is what will the price be, which is asking to read the mind of HifiMan.  The other thing is what we think the price should be given our perspective as potential customers.

Being in Australia, and given our exchange rate vs the USD and vs the Yen, we can get a new STAX 009 landed her for under $4000.  For me the landed price would need to be less than the 009, no matter what - to me the 009 is a much better looking headphone and measures superbly well.  If HE-1000 surpasses the 009, then this price range is OK.  If the measurements are not as good, the HE-1000 would need to be significantly cheaper IMO, but this is my perspective - and I am into the best technical performance for my money.

EDIT: Fixed grammar :S

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 25
THe ultimate troll would be if fang announced the price by "speculating himself" :D.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 25
It is a little circular how the pricing will work. In order to recover R&D costs, earn the margin HFM wishes, the price will be high. The high price is also in part due to scale of economy meaning as fewer units will be produced, each carries a higher markup burden to contribute to the R&D recoup effort. This locks the 1000 into a low-production run model which ensures scale of economy will not help much, at least not initially. If HFM could produce higher numbers then the price per unit would come down. So whatever price is charged a disproportionate amount will be R&D cost reclamation. Unless of course HFM is kind and elects to spread the cost out over a greater period of time, which is doubtful as companies don't like to take a chance and pay extra interest on their lines of credit.

Blah, blah, blah, in the end, this is going to be a very expensive headphone. I think the Yggy will be getting my money as that I can afford and it helps my entire system.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 25
As far as R&D cost, that can be spread among different models. The HE1K model by itself does not have to recover all R&D costs and manufacturing tooling costs. There will be lower priced models down the pipe.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 25
  As far as R&D cost, that can be spread among different models. The HE1K model by itself does not have to recover all R&D costs and manufacturing tooling costs. There will be lower priced models down the pipe.

Yes for sure, and I realize that, but initially it will shoulder the majority of the burden, and it all depends on how quickly HFM seeks to recoup the costs and if they are willing to backload them later down the road for other products. Regardless, small-scale production runs are more costly and more R&D recouping efforts will be in there to one extent or another.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 25

Yes for sure, and I realize that, but initially it will shoulder the majority of the burden, and it all depends on how quickly HFM seeks to recoup the costs and if they are willing to backload them later down the road for other products. Regardless, small-scale production runs are more costly and more R&D recouping efforts will be in there to one extent or another.

Depending on where HFM files their income tax, some portions of R&D cost is tax deductable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back