The ultimate HD650 cable? - Cardas Golden Reference headphone cable!!
Jun 15, 2006 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mastergill

500+ Head-Fier
Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to my last HD650's upgrade that i've received 2 weeks ago:

< drums roll, please...> The Cardas Golden Reference HD650 headphone cable

IMG_0009_3.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

I already had a custom Cardas Neutral Reference headphone cable since more than 2 years now which gave me more than enough satisfaction, it's just that i love to squeeze (or trying to) the last bits of musical informations from my gears and cables are very good for that. So i knew that one day i would ask for a Golden Reference headphone cable, the logical upgrade right?

That was a very long wait to get this cable (more than 6 months), until delivery i was not even sure Cardas could make it. I heard that molding the connectors has been a problem, so let me publicly say a big THANK YOU to Cardas Audio for making it. I know they spent some time for this cable and they'll do their best to satisfy customers.

This one is (normally) made with Golden Reference Phono cable because it has the 4 conductors necessary. 3 meters. It's not cheap, but life is short. That's what i told to the French Cardas distributor in the fear they thought i'm insane.

Because i really thought it would be a crazy project with barely noticeable improvement. I thought that with the excellent Neutral Reference i had reached or was very very close to the maximal HD650's resolution capability. Hell no! I hate to be over-enthusiastic you know, it never sounds serious, but man i have to say this cable is unbelievable, outstanding, mind-blowing...

Some short key points about the sound: Increased and amazing resolution, like flipping a secret High Def swicht - extremely precise soundstage with a real sense of depth - tonal accuracy to die for (the Neutral is slightly 'metallic' and bright sounding in comparison) - everything is so focused, no smearing, voices are so real that's scary - killer dynamics, textures, bass, medium, highs...

This cable alone will not do any magic tricks, it's the sum of little details that can make an audio setup, speaker or headphone, truly spectacular (assuming you already have top-notch gears). In the true sense of synergy, when every little 'tweaks' added together make for an outstanding result.

This cable for me is like the last stone to a no-compromise edifice [Hmmm, i still have to check my Studer against something like a Weiss DAC-1]; but strictly headphone-wise, i'm done...until HD700 if it's a real improvement and in the hope they will use the same earcup's connectors!.

Jun 15, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 20
Cool. How's the flexibility?

BTW, I clicked on this thread thinking "wasn't there a guy who did this like 2 years ago..." Turns out that yes, there was
icon10.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Cool. How's the flexibility?

Despite the size, it's still quite flexible. A little more stiff and less bendable than the NR however. At first it feels not easy to handle but you get used to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Wow, congrats! You are a patience man to wait more than 6 months.

Thanks. It was not supposed to take that long, but yes i try to be patient.
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 20
Welly Wu would be proud! That's a nice looking cable. At first, I thought it was actually terminated with a 1/8th jack, but then remembered how thick those cables actually are.

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
And how much did that run you?

I'm not proud of the price i paid, because of course i know how insane most people, even Head-Fiers, would think it is. But it's not. €1,200. I'm glad euro is strong actually.
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 20
Hey this is just my 3 years anniversary as an Head-Fi member!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

But Head-Fi's changing man, where are you High-Enders, Cardas fanboys? Becuz that's strange, not a lot of comments or questions, not even a little flame war
frown.gif
tongue.gif
. I thought this would stir some interesting discussions, you won't see that kind of stuff everyday. Everybody's speechless? LOL, i was 'afraid' that would be too much for Head-Fi, ha ha ha!

Well, what you see above is maybe the best headphone in the world and i'm not kidding when i say that. Some serious Holy Grail here guys!

PS: Yeah, sorry i love to brag about my great gears and internet is very cool for showing-off, eh!
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
It's not cheap, but life is short.

Thanks Mastergill, I needed a mantra to repeat when thinking upgrades.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Well, what you see above is maybe the best headphone in the world and i'm not kidding when i say that. Some serious Holy Grail here guys!

It'll have to go up against Patrick82's K1000/Nordost Frey speaker cable phones. But I don't think they'll ever happen and therefore you're the reigning champ.

Jun 17, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

I'm not proud of the price i paid, because of course i know how insane most people, even Head-Fiers, would think it is. But it's not. €1,200. I'm glad euro is strong actually.
icon10.gif

!!!!!!
i probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference. i wish i had that much for cd's...

Jun 17, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

But Head-Fi's changing man, where are you High-Enders, Cardas fanboys?

I just got myself a Cardas Quadlink 5C interconnects to replace my VDH The FIRST Ultimates. 5C has amazing midrange and great bass slam. They work better in my setup than VDH which is very neutral and maybe slightly boring. And fortunately I got them from eBay for very low price. Very good cables.
wink.gif

And congratulations for your aftermarket cable (even though I think that's just insane
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jun 17, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Hey this is just my 3 years anniversary as an Head-Fi member!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

But Head-Fi's changing man, where are you High-Enders, Cardas fanboys? Becuz that's strange, not a lot of comments or questions, not even a little flame war
frown.gif
tongue.gif
. I thought this would stir some interesting discussions, you won't see that kind of stuff everyday. Everybody's speechless? LOL, i was 'afraid' that would be too much for Head-Fi, ha ha ha!

PS: Yeah, sorry i love to brag about my great gears and internet is very cool for showing-off, eh!
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

We are here, we’re just scared to post anything knowledgeable, because the rampage of complete ignorance that has taken over the board. That sounds like one kick ass cable you got there, and your equipment, and opinions will always be respected at least by this Head-Fier. Congratulations on the 3 years here, I’m glad some of us are still around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back