The Ultimate Bear
Jan 28, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #46 of 69
Another documentary. This one I saw recently but I didn't catch the title because I missed the opening. The crew traced a pair of polar bears, brother and sister, and filmed how they fended for themselves in the harsh environment. The male fared well: he was a skilled hunter and was doing all right. No such luck for the she-bear, and the fragmenting ice-floe rapidly shrank her hunting ground. She had to spend much of her journey swimming -- a physically taxing activity that dissipates body heat quickly. When the crew found her at the end of the film, she didn't even look like a bear: she looked more like a white Afghan hound, with hardly any body fat. Although this was not mentioned, everyone could see she did not have long to live. Really, really heartbreaking.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #47 of 69
naturally, the answer is Oski.
biggrin.gif

Go Bears!!

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #52 of 69
I saw this recently on BBC America, and cannot agree more, Falcon, it was beautifully done.

JC

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a wonderful BBC documentary series, Realms of the Russian Bears, that surveyed the magnificent wildlifes in Russia, from the emerald shores of the Casparian Sea to the hoary Caucasian Mountains, from the Snowy Siberian wastes and the volcanic peninsula of Kamchatka. The series was superb in every way: beautiful cinematography, beautiful music, even the accent of the Russian host, Nicholai Drozdov, was beautiful. And yes, bears appear in almost each episode.

I don't think this series has been released in DVD, but I'd be very glad to be proved wrong!

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Polar Bear, if we are basing it on sheer awesomeness. I believe it's one of the few animals that will track you for miles and kill you, just for the sake of killing you.

Actually, this is a bit unfair to the polar bear. They hunt anything that moves on the ice in order to eat. In their artic climate, ever bit of food matters. Especially as the global warming affects their territory, they are hard pressed to find enough to survive. They only kill to eat, never simply for the sake of killing. There are animals that may do that from time to time, but this isnt one.

That said, this is the ultimate bear on this planet....massive, incredibly powerful, and able to kill anything on earth. What more needs to be said?

JC

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, this is a bit unfair to the polar bear. They hunt anything that moves on the ice in order to eat. In their artic climate, ever bit of food matters. Especially as the global warming affects their territory, they are hard pressed to find enough to survive. They only kill to eat, never simply for the sake of killing. There are animals that may do that from time to time, but this isnt one.

That said, this is the ultimate bear on this planet....massive, incredibly powerful, and able to kill anything on earth. What more needs to be said?

JC

No, polar bears don't eat people after they kill them. They kill them, then leave them.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, polar bears don't eat people after they kill them. They kill them, then leave them.

That could be because human beings, in general, contain little fat. Polar bears eat mostly fat, which is high in energy content and doesn't take much digestion. They prefer to leave the protein and else to the birds and other scavengers.

An upshot of this is that polar bears are not particularly interested in human as potential prey.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dropbear.jpg

Holy hell....

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That could be because human beings, in general, contain little fat. Polar bears eat mostly fat, which is high in energy content and doesn't take much digestion. They prefer to leave the protein and else to the birds and other scavengers.

An upshot of this is that polar bears are not particularly interested in human as potential prey.

But yet they'll still travel miles to find and kill people. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back