The ugliest headphone amp on the planet?
Jan 18, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #31 of 100
I wonder how it would look covered in hot glue? Hmmm...
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #32 of 100
Quote:

I'll replace them with similar types or polyester if it makes any difference

go with AVX stacked film ceramics here bud
wink.gif

the "10 volts/1Kuf" is a bit surprising and say voltage drive may be limited due to power supply voltage limitations.Try if you can to up this to the +/-12 VDC range which is well within the opamp range but will mean adjusting the biasing on the resistors.

Quote:

I've checked the impedance of the output resistors and it is 120R per channel which was pretty much industry standard then..... do you think it's worthwhile removing them and fitting zero ohm links?

tough call there man.You may find there is not enough actual current drive for a lower impedance even with the discrete output stage so thi stage optimised to the once standard of 120 ohm load.I would try replacing the resistor with the best sounding type I could (your taste) because it is directly inline with the output if kept with the simple test being a temp connection to an off-board coupling cap so it can be tried both ways with an actual headphone as the load.Let your ears be the judge test gear be damned
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Was discussing all this with a friend this afternoon. He's a tree surgeon and makes some beautiful wooden sculptures (I mean so good he sells them for thousands) I kinda run it by him that I would love an amp in a yew log and he's going to see if he's got a suitable piece of tree to use....

hmmm.amp tree kinda has a ring to it..........
icon10.gif

Quote:

He'd be doing the carving, not me.

Probably a real good idea Mike.The idea of you using a sharp object gives me the willies
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #33 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch
I bet it plays the banjo theme from Deliverance with impeccable tonal accuracy.
tongue.gif

"You shrrr gaahht a purdy amp."

Yeh, I can still smell the pork dripping the previous owner used to polish it with
tongue.gif
yeeeehaw!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
That's one for the headphone museum.

I tend to agree.

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #35 of 100
That first (pre)Singlepower amp that Hirsch picked up on Ebay was pretty ugly. It kind of looked like it was tinknocked at midnight at the Monster Garage. It was so odd looking that it had a certain charm to it. Are there any pics around of that first prototype?

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #36 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by timoteus
That first (pre)Singlepower amp that Hirsch picked up on Ebay was pretty ugly. It kind of looked like it was tinknocked at midnight at the Monster Garage. It was so odd looking that it had a certain charm to it. Are there any pics around of that first prototype?

Ohhhh! I would love to see that pic.

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #37 of 100
Had a couple of spare hours today and decided to strip the vinyl black ash effect veneer off the enclosure. Well, there was more than I bargained for as not only was there black ash vinyl veneer covering the enclosure there was also a wood veneer under it so it took me a good couple of hours to sand it all down back to the bare MDF.

Now I have a blank canvas to work on and am in two minds whether to veneer it with a nice wood or to just spray paint it with a gunmetal grey paint. I'm going to put on a few coats of UPVA mixed with water to "size" the MDF and then I'll sand it down again, fill any hairline cracks with bodyfiller and then decide what finish to apply to it.. any ideas?

To be honest, black or dark grey will probably look the best... the colour of the MDF or light wood up against the black chassis of the amp just looks out of place as if someone has just rested a big slab of wood on top of it.... I think Rick's idea of the hammerite spray paint is the best so far but if anyone else has got a better idea I'm open to suggestions... one thing I do know is I don't want to spend money on a good quality veneer only to find it looks like a pigs ear.

The parts for the circuit have been ordered and I've decided to fit a good quality ALPS RK27 in place of the cheap carbon pot, 0.1% 15ppm resistors in place of the carbon resistors, new transistors throughout and NIC NRSZ series capacitors. I'm not going to modify the amp internally apart from maybe some non polar output caps to block any DC at the output. decided to keep it as close to the original as possible.... anyways, any ideas on what to finish the MDF enclosure with are appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Ohhhh! I would love to see that pic.

Me too!

DSCF2333.jpg

DSCF2337.jpg

DSCF2339.jpg

DSCF2340.jpg

Dscf2342.jpg

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #38 of 100
Hmmm....how about painting it all with a white enamel base coat, then applying a blue translucent apple-shaped cutout on top, install a blue LED under the cutout,, clearcoat it, then call it the "iAmp?" with that length, Apple users could use it as a monitor stand as well!

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #40 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
OMG, I started laughing out loud when I saw the pic. That is CLASSIC!
biggrin.gif

That was my first impression when it arrived too.... I couldn't stop laughing at the sheer "length" of the thing.... I thought it would be like 10 inches long (max) and quite compact looking but it turns out it's 17 inches long (with knob) and far from compact. Thing is, I'm starting to quite like it now
icon10.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #41 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
It's log, log ..

It's big, it's heavy, it's wood..

It's log, log ..

It's better then bad, It's GOOD!

Log.JPG

It rolls down stairs; Apples and Pears*

Over your neighbours dog,

Its great for a snack, it fits on your back

Its log, log, log.

*Thats Cockney rhyming slang for Stairs.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #43 of 100
My Gilmore Lite.

the blue dot
DSCF0092.jpg

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #44 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
My Gilmore Lite.

the blue dot
DSCF0092.jpg

It's not "ugly" but then again it's far from "beautiful", pretty run of the mill brushed aluminium, blue LED, same old ten a penny aesthetics
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #45 of 100
Quote:

same old ten a penny aesthetics

welcome to the new millennium mikey where Samness is GOOD while different BAD and is grounds for being locked away in a dark rubbery room (with no pretty blue lights not of your imagination
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

We have lotsa choices actually :

Blue led black panel,blue led silver panel or blue led wood panel.What more do you want dude ?

(payback for my liking amber and yellow in your "Favorite LED Color" thread and taking a mini-beating
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back