The TWS + Neckband + BT Cable Adapter Thread
May 31, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #241 of 547
Let's hope Sony will release the LDAC SDK for TWS soon.

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #244 of 547
TWM is an evolution of the original TWS, but not necessary going to be better than TWS+ SQ wise. In original TWS, one side of the TWS setup acts as a master device while the other is the slave device. The smartphone connects to the master device only, then the master re-transmit the signal the the slave device. Generally speaking, if the connection between the smartphone and the master device is lost, the slave device will automatically lost connection as well - in a TWM however, the slave device will automatically take over as the master (while the master switches to slave), which means the overall connection between a TWM setup is going to be much more stable than a TWS setup. TWS+ on the other hand allow both side to connect to the smartphone at the same time ((so basically they are both master devices on their own channel), sop losing connection to one side doesn't cut off the other side.

So in a way, if the connection isn't the most stable, TWM can in theory better than TWS+. But of the connection is very good, then they are likely not going to be any significant different between TWM and TWS+. Of course, Qualcomm is more likely going to push for TWM as it is in theory a more versatile solution, but I'll imagine they will likely going to limit TWM support only to smartphone with Qualcomm SoC, and maybe even only to higher end SoC like they do with TWS+. It is still too early to tell.

As mentioned before, TWS+ support required the source has a higher end Qualcomm SoC, which isn't going to be easy as those are not cheap or easy to find (*well, not on smartphone, but on DAP). I'll say the chance is slim - very slim in fact.
I feel TWS+ might have one benefit that both earbuds stay at same battery level with equal use. It might be annoying in day to day usage if one earbud went low on battery earlier than other.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #246 of 547
The Sony WF-1000XM3 also supports LDAC
The WH-1000XM3 & 4 are the ones with LDAC, the on ear headphones, the TWS haven't had it yet I think because of power consumption, guessing there's a new chip for the XM4's to help with this.

Side note: I wish Sonys naming wasn't so awful, I guess WH stands for "wireless headphone" but what the hell is WF and why does it need so many letters and numbers anyway, what does the 1000 add? It's like they give their products an internal stock number for their system and then forget to actually give them a proper name for consumers.

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #248 of 547
20 ohm of output impedance is hard to love, especially when it messed up my IEM's frequency response. Opposite to your experience, it is the least accurate of all the BT adapter I have tested and don't have much power either.
This is great info! someone recommended the iBasso CF01 to me but I’m looking for something more high-end (but the same form factor…) to pair with some new IEMs. Any suggestions? I have some JH Lola’s but I want to keep this for wired listening

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #249 of 547
This is great info! someone recommended the iBasso CF01 to me but I’m looking for something more high-end (but the same form factor…) to pair with some new IEMs. Any suggestions? I have some JH Lola’s but I want to keep this for wired listening

The best TWS adapter in the market now is FiiO UTWS3

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #251 of 547
thanks for the advice! what makes It better than the iBasso? What would be the best IEM(s) to use with it for classical/opera, female vocals, electronic, instrumental, blues… (not a bass head)

Good power output, low output impedance, app support (Android only), clean sound.

I don't keep track of the current IEM market, so I don't know which IEM will best fit your need.

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #252 of 547
Thank you my friend.

I’m trying to figure out my next moves with IEMs…

I‘m leaning toward using my Lola’s with the Fiio and then getting a pair of high-end custom IEMs (Elysium perhaps) as soon as I can listen to some different ones and get impressions made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back