The Tube Amps of old
Oct 15, 2004 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Puddleglum

100+ Head-Fier
I've been poking around like I always do, and found a couple of older amps that don't get a whole lot of mention anymore. I'm sure most of these amps have been surpassed in one way or another (if not all), but I was wondering how they've stood the test of time and how they compare to some of the newer singlepowers and Eddie currents.

ASL MG head OTL 32
MicroZOTL
Skorpion HV-1
Earmax Pro
Any other's you can think of

I don't know how many of you veterans have experience with these amps, but please chime in if you do.

Oct 15, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 20
Actually, the EarMax has been getting a lot of discussion lately. Try searching on "earmax" "earmaxpro" or "emp".

Oct 15, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 20
The Earmax Pro isn't that old yet (5 years or so) and still very much in production.
The standard model Earmax is from '92 IIRC however (but also still produced)
Maybe because it's a germany made amp it gets slightly less attention since it's more expensive to buy in the U.S. and exotic.
Not to forget the EMP is small, the worlds smallest tube amplifier according to its designer infact, so this might be a factor in certain obscure ways
evil_smiley.gif

BTW: For those who are japanese / been to japan: it has bigger balls then a shigaraki tanuki
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 20
I still use my MG OTL. She's been a great amp and in many ways I consider it more musical than my RKV (due toTuberolling).

wzm-HV1.jpg

Skorpion HV-1. Damn dude... you have been doing some back-reading! One of my old workmates had some friends in Poland and I was thiiiis close to getting one real cheap... until I read that the unit inverts the phase. Bought the OTL instead.

For that matter what ever happened to Joe Lau? He hasn't been here since 04-17-2004. Or Don Wilson from Etymotics? He used to be a member here too.
confused.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 20
Ok, the MG head OTL 32 isn't actually old, I guess it's just that the hype is gone. I'm still confused about that whole inverts phase thing that people were talking about here. Mainly because I read somewhere that the Singlepowers, wooaudio, eddie currents, and others invert phase also. I don't know If that was true, but It's a shame that somebody on these forums didn't try and review the HV-1.

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 20
Ignore this post... (I just wonder why the Skorpion image isn't displayed.)

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 20
I may be wrong but I think that it really does flip the sound out-of-phase... at least that's the impression I got when I first researched it. Not alot of people can hear an out-of-phase sound. I'm not sure it's the exact same thing you're talking about. Then again what would be the point in selling an amp like that?
confused.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Nevermind... (I just wonder why the Skorpion image isn't displayed.)

confused.gif
I see it on my computer...

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
confused.gif
I see it on my computer...

I just see it when I copy the URL into the IE address field.

peacesign.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 20
IMHO, I think amps like EddieCurrent and SinglePower, (in tube amps) changed the whole ballgame. For well under a $1000 you can now get sound that would have cost over a $1000. Much the same as the Sugden, around $1000, can be bested by a PPA at $600. The new "amp of the mounth" vendors have raised the anti and lowered the cost while giving state of the art performances with excellent build quality.
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddleglum
ASL MG head OTL 32

A great amplifier and value for the money (~400 used?), I still think it does a shoddy job with low impedance cans. Great with higher impedance phones and an effective preamp for any system that needs some tubes. Overall it pales in comparison to a true old school amplifier the fisher 400, precisely why I parted with mine. Nowhere near the midrange and highs, with a tendency to sound muddy (exacerbated by the low end sennheisers!).

Out of all the amps you mention the micro zotl would be the most tempting for me, mostly because it can drive speakers too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back