The TTVJ Millett 307A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier
Aug 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #76 of 89
A fully loaded wa5 with treasure tubes and the eddie current balancing act with the silver transformers. Waiting for some more reviews on the ba though.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4N6,

I have the HD800 (unbalanced) but my HP2i with the 307a is something special, no any other cans can do the same, may be (I'm convinced of this) the Millet is very specil for low impedence cans, or may be my HP2i is something special, or both...

Now I'll test different tubes on the amp: Sylvania and Rytheon 307a, did you have done some tests with other tubes on your millet?

The tubes arrived!

I have tested Sylvanias and Rytheon 307a (in comparison with the KenRad adopted by the amp).
I find the Sylvanias the very best, more dettails and clarity...

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #78 of 89
Nice.. good to know!

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #79 of 89
Using the 307A, the balanced HD800's, and listening to a CD called "Perfect Percussion" (which is a percussion ensemble playing drums, cymbals, mallets (vibraphone, marimba, etc.), and other odd instruments). One of the best recordings I have that one could say follows Holt's 1st Law (The better the performance/music, the worse the recording (and vice versa)); however, as a percussionist and bassoonist, I really love the disk. The amount of air, detail to the tonality of the drums, lack of exaggerated sibilance to the cymbals, soundstaging, and harmonic retrieval (especially of the mallet instruments) was outstanding. Far better than any headphone/amp system I have had the pleasure of listening too. Very much rivals my (far more costly) home system...and maybe better in some regards. The sound this system makes is wonderful to say the least.

This amp really is quite stellar. Cosmetically challenged, perhaps, but stellar nonetheless.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #80 of 89
Yes, quite stellar, but not for the HD800 (IMHO), the Grado HP2i si quite better plugged in this amp...

On the way... next week I'll try a new hybrid amp (two box) especially built for my HP2i... and I'll tell you if the Millet will be at the first place or not... (for the HP2i).

Best regards!
Nik

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #82 of 89
Congrats on getting a terrific amp.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I'm looking to tube roll with the 307As but I'm not sure where I could find them

I might be able to help with that, shoot me a PM if you want. I would be careful buying them off of ebay, I've bot a few pairs, some of which tested ok and some of which most certainly did not.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your R10 and PS1 look to be in very good condition.

ah yes, I've been fortunate to find sellers who kept their pairs in fantastic condition. I will do my best to keep it in as such condition as well. I'm beginning to think that I may move to getting balanced ends for both next, instead of upgrading to another dac.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #87 of 89
there is one thing i did notice though, i'm not sure if 4N6 can chime in for this one, but I tried unplugging all headphones to the amp, while it was on, and played part of a song and i was still able to hear it. at first i thought i was hearing things, but i heard the song playing literally though the amp as if there was an internal speaker inside. is this normal? this is a first for me

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #88 of 89
Its due to the output transformers, it is normal for some output transformers to vibrate harmonically with the signal, as there is a magnetic field and transformers have some mechanical resonance.

I had read that the OPTS are electraprint transformers, and I do believe (quoted from another that uses electraprints)...

"Electra-Print does not vacuum impregnate their output transformers. The transformer lamentations actual move to the signal, and act as low level speakers. This in no way effects the sound through the speakers or headphones. It is normal, and all of jack's transformers exhibit that anomaly."

Be aware that running signal on transformers without a load is typically not a good thing to do, as you run the risk of destroying them, so I would not do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back